GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

It is time

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-06, 12:36 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
I think oohpapi44 has some good points here. Firstly, I have never seen a Lexus dealer sell a Lexus anywhere below book value - in fact, at least locally, you pay more for it because it is coming from Lexus.

I also don't think a Lexus dealership would not check the history of the vehicle when they have the database right in front of them and it would not incur any cost for them to do so.

Again, as he said - back to working condition from what? Did you run a carfax?

I too would be skeptical about this.

Jonny
Well I am only talking to the guy over the phone. He sounds like a young cat and he seams like he knows little about the car. I will go look at it and test drive it this weekend. The guy I spoke to said that the car is up to standards for a car to be sold at a lexus dealership. He does have a carfax. When I asked him to look up the records he stated he was not at work at the time??? He said he will call me with the info 05/17/2006.
Old 05-16-06, 12:39 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Is it a CPO Lexus? If it is, those cars go through a reconditioning process. That includes a lot of cosmetic work such as a repaint, leather conditioning, changing critical wear parts, etc to bring the car back to Lexus new car standards, even though it is a used car.
Old 05-16-06, 12:42 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let us know what happens, just beware that the scenario you described in going to a Lexus dealer and paying less than market price for a car and you smiling 6 months after you bought the car seems like a fantasy to most of us.

Why are you talking to a dealer and he's not in the showroom? Call the dealership now and ask someone else about that specific car (VIN#) and see if you get a different story. Don't mention that you've spoken to anyone about the car previously but that someone 'passed you the info' and let us know what they say.
Old 05-16-06, 12:47 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Is it a CPO Lexus? If it is, those cars go through a reconditioning process. That includes a lot of cosmetic work such as a repaint, leather conditioning, changing critical wear parts, etc to bring the car back to Lexus new car standards, even though it is a used car.
no its not a CPO
Old 05-16-06, 12:48 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by oohpapi44
Let us know what happens, just beware that the scenario you described in going to a Lexus dealer and paying less than market price for a car and you smiling 6 months after you bought the car seems like a fantasy to most of us.

Why are you talking to a dealer and he's not in the showroom? Call the dealership now and ask someone else about that specific car (VIN#) and see if you get a different story. Don't mention that you've spoken to anyone about the car previously but that someone 'passed you the info' and let us know what they say.
Good idea. I will do that now.
Old 05-16-06, 12:50 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

CPO for 17,000?
Old 05-16-06, 12:53 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

CPO for 17,000?
its NOT CPO
Old 05-16-06, 12:56 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

lol, yeah that was obvious from post one, if it was CPO, i'd have been elbowing you out of the way to pick it up myself... Make that call and see what another dealer says.
Old 05-16-06, 01:20 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Read my post carefully, look for a key word, then decipher it.
Old 05-16-06, 01:54 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

lol, yeah that was obvious from post one, if it was CPO, i'd have been elbowing you out of the way to pick it up myself... Make that call and see what another dealer says.
They have no lexus dealership records. The guy said the previous owner didnt live close to a lexus dealer and took it to a toyota dealer. He said his service guys checked the car out and it looks like the 60k service was done and the car was well taken care of. The carfax is clean. The car needs rear brakes and they did an oil change on it.

So is this car worth 16950 and what can I use to lower the price?

Thanks
Old 05-16-06, 02:52 PM
socwrkr
Rookie

I don't think you are going to get them any lower. If you found it advertised on the net for that much, 9 times out of 10 the dealer has put the car at about as low as they can go on the net due to competition... other than that, if the car was in good shape, i'm not sure why you'd want them to go lower seeing as how it is selling for a lot less than true value on it. As far as the records go, that's the part that would worry me... Remember that a dealer will tell you what ever you want to hear in order to get you to buy the car and if you are in an excited "I wanna buy right now!" mode, you're probably gonna lean towards hearing what you need to hear to buy the car. I looked at a 01 gs430 before i bought mine at a dealer and it was priced good. When i got there, it turned out to be very poorly taken care of (actually 2 of the tires were even flat which I didn't notice until after the test drive). The dealer told me, don't worry, it's a lexus, blah, blah, blah. Turns out after I walked away, they wholesaled it out because they didn't want to put all the money into it they would need to to sell it. My guess is if the dealer is selling it for that low, they are getting ready to wholesale it out and are just putting in one last effort to get rid of it.
Old 05-16-06, 04:33 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by socwrkr
I don't think you are going to get them any lower. If you found it advertised on the net for that much, 9 times out of 10 the dealer has put the car at about as low as they can go on the net due to competition... other than that, if the car was in good shape, i'm not sure why you'd want them to go lower seeing as how it is selling for a lot less than true value on it. As far as the records go, that's the part that would worry me... Remember that a dealer will tell you what ever you want to hear in order to get you to buy the car and if you are in an excited "I wanna buy right now!" mode, you're probably gonna lean towards hearing what you need to hear to buy the car. I looked at a 01 gs430 before i bought mine at a dealer and it was priced good. When i got there, it turned out to be very poorly taken care of (actually 2 of the tires were even flat which I didn't notice until after the test drive). The dealer told me, don't worry, it's a lexus, blah, blah, blah. Turns out after I walked away, they wholesaled it out because they didn't want to put all the money into it they would need to to sell it. My guess is if the dealer is selling it for that low, they are getting ready to wholesale it out and are just putting in one last effort to get rid of it.
So I shouldn't go check it out. I can leave it if the price isnt right. What do you guys think.
Old 05-16-06, 06:07 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Go check it out but spend a few dollars and get a VERY thorough mechanic to look over that car. Ultimately it's your decision but I'm telling you that if it were, I would be expecting to find something very negative in this car's history. If that car is clean you've found the deal of the century being that it's at a Lexus dealership....

Do they have any other GS400's? 430's? What price are they asking for those? See if you can get an extended warranty to 100K miles from the dealer.
Old 05-16-06, 06:10 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Go check it out but spend a few dollars and get a VERY thorough mechanic to look over that car. Ultimately it's your decision but I'm telling you that if it were, I would be expecting to find something very negative in this car's history. If that car is clean you've found the deal of the century being that it's at a Lexus dealership....

Do they have any other GS400's? 430's? What price are they asking for those? See if you can get an extended warranty to 100K miles from the dealer.
Ok thanks. I will take it to a different mechanic.
Old 05-16-06, 06:29 PM
socwrkr
Rookie

Keep in mind, a clean carfax doesn't necessarly mean a clean car, just nothing major REPORTED. Check the body lines, original vin # stickers on the various body panels, etc. Not trying to be so negative, it's just that typically if something sounds too good to be true.. it is.

Go check it out and good luck!

Quick Reply: It is time