GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Replacing windshield with aftermarket glass -- ADVICE NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-06, 08:23 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I went through this dimemma a few years ago with my MR2. The original windshield had been cracked (bullseye) by a large stone. I insisted on replacing it with Toyota OE glass, and my insurance deductible was only $100 for glass replacement.

So I had he Toyota glass installed... about two weeks later *BANG* another walnut sized rock was thrown by a truck someplace in front of me. Another bullseye, a large one at that.

Now I just use the aftermarket glass and replace them every few years. Even my OE Lexus glass is pretty sandblasted-looking; I just plan to replace the darned things periodically at my own expense.
Old 05-18-06, 08:48 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Didn't mean to stir the stew, all I said was "they don't crack as quickly when chipped".

This is my personal observation since moving to our "rock chip sealing" state in '76. I've driven my '84Landcruiser up on the Alaskan Highway twice now, through Canada. I have used at least ten winshields, various brands including PPG, Safe-T-Lite and factory windshields.

I'm still running the original windshield on my 2000 RX. 44,000 miles. I haven't hit the right rock yet ... But I will.

Last edited by Tammy; 05-18-06 at 08:53 AM.
Old 05-18-06, 08:49 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
Seriously.....Its just a windshield. PPG makes very good quality glass. There are standards for these companies so I highly doubt that there are cheap grades and superior grades when it comes to namebrand windshields. Just get the PPG windshield and be done with it. I go through 2-3 windshields a year and my best friends has been in the glass business for 17 years so this info is coming from someone who knows the business. Good luck I wouldnt hesitate to get the PPG and drive with it till that one gets cracked.
Thanks, AZ. I mean no disrespect to Tammy here, but I have to believe what you say is true. I've done a lot of research on this topic prior to this incident, and I've been on the phone all morning talking to various Lexus dealerships and glass installation companies about the issue. I can now confirm that PPG does NOT manufacture the glass that goes into the Lexus cars in Japan. Either Lexus/Toyota make their own glass, or they contract it out to a local Japanese company. So, if your Toyota or Lexus car was made in Japan, PPG did not make the glass for the car.

As for the quality of PPG glass, however, they are renowned as one of the best in the industry. They are OEM for many American-made cars as well as Toyota cars made in the U.S. There are certain regulations that govern the manufacture of windshields, and PPG obviously complies with those standards. It has been represented to me that the thickness and tint are exactly the same. The only real difference is the name etched in the corner. The person who made the most sense to me this morning was the guy who Lexus uses to repair windshields (he calls himself the "glass doctor"). Again, he repairs windshields -- he does not replace them. He is completely independent and has no stake in the outcome of my situation. He told me that there is no real difference between the Lexus glass and PPG. He has worked extensively on both, and sees no difference in the quality of the glass. He would be concerned if the glass installation company was using some off brand manufactured in another country that might not be up to specs, but PPG is a leading manufacturer in the U.S. and he's never heard of anyone having a problem with the quality or fitment. He would be far more concerned about the person or company doing the installation than the type of glass they're using, provided that they're using glass from a quality company.

So far, the ONLY people who have told me that Lexus glass is substantially different from PPG is my Lexus dealership. However, the strange thing is that they couldn't specify any real differences. They said it was just their perception. And I pressed them pretty hard on the issue. Their answer was the same -- "We can't give you specific reasons as to why it's different, but we believe it is." I guess that's what they're paid to say.

By the way, Chuck, the parts manager at my dealership said that the GS glass is not pre-treated with water repellant. Then again, this is the same guy who told me that PPG and Lexus glass are substantially different, but he's not sure why.
Old 05-18-06, 08:50 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

My aunt has a 2004 toyota highlander and a few months back, her glass was hit by a small rock chip. It only took about 3 days before it started spreading.

Same deal with my dad's old honda civic with OEM glass. It was really windly one day so my basketball rim fell on my dad's car and the crack was small. 2 days later, the crack was marginally spreading.

OEM or aftermarket, the spread will take place quickly. $1000 more to save the glass from spreading by just one or two days isn't really worth it. If anything, replacing the windshield right away is what you should be doing. When you make a turn, your chassis will flex a bit and the glass' crack will spread. That's all there is to it. The flex of the car is greater than what the windshield (cracked one that is) will stand up to.

As for water repellent..I dont have that kind of glass, but who needs it when you can buy rain-X and apply it to all windows and side mirrors
Old 05-18-06, 09:18 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tammy
Didn't mean to stir the stew, all I said was "they don't crack as quickly when chipped".

This is my personal observation since moving to our "rock chip sealing" state in '76. I've driven my '84Landcruiser up on the Alaskan Highway twice now, through Canada. I have used at least ten winshields, various brands including PPG, Safe-T-Lite and factory windshields.

I'm still running the original windshield on my 2000 RX. 44,000 miles. I haven't hit the right rock yet ... But I will.
You didnt stir the pot at all......You and I feel the pain of having to replace these suckers a few times a year. We would be broke if we had to pay out of pocket and replace them with Lexus windshields

GOD BLESS ARIZONA $0 DEDUCTIBLE GLASS COVERAGE
Old 05-18-06, 04:22 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Update

The glass company is coming out to my office tomorrow morning to install a new PPG windshield. I'll let you know how it goes. Any last comments?
Old 05-18-06, 04:26 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tammy

Sounds like you guys have a serious rock problem out there in AZ. I would hate to have to replace a windshield that often
Old 05-18-06, 04:27 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by e-man
Update

The glass company is coming out to my office tomorrow morning to install a new PPG windshield. I'll let you know how it goes. Any last comments?
Few things:

If you plan on having a satellite radio.....now is the time to install you antenna. You can run it up the passenger side of the windshield and have it go all the way back under that long azz piece of molding and then under into the trunk (Thats what I did and it worked out great)

Make sure the guy know how to put back together your rearview mirror. There is a couple of ball bearings that are tricky to get back into place.

Good luck....
Old 05-18-06, 07:21 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Few things:

If you plan on having a satellite radio.....now is the time to install you antenna. You can run it up the passenger side of the windshield and have it go all the way back under that long azz piece of molding and then under into the trunk (Thats what I did and it worked out great)

Make sure the guy know how to put back together your rearview mirror. There is a couple of ball bearings that are tricky to get back into place.

Good luck....
Nope, no plans to have satellite radio, but thanks for the heads up. As for the rear view mirror, I'll watch him (assuming he doesn't ask me to leave because I'm making him too nervous), but I think these guys know what they're doing. When I told the manager that I had a GS, he wanted to make sure that I knew that they would re-use the painted moldings that extend from the windshield, over the roof and down the back glass, and not order new ones. I assumed they would, but I thought it was a little comforting that he knew that those long pieces are actually one piece and must come off the car to do the install.

I'll let everyone know how it works out tomorrow night.
Old 05-19-06, 04:20 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Default UPDATE -- install completed

Hey guys. The install went relatively smoothly. It took the guy about an hour, and I pretty much watched him every step of the way. He was very professional and seemed to know exactly what he was doing. I got a little nervous when he broke out the Exacto knife and this tool that resembled a miniature meat hook, and but for a few minor slips, he was very careful and did a good job.

That's the good. Now onto the bad (because, for those of you who know me, there's always bad). My rear view mirror fell off 3 times on the way home. I know AZDesertGS warned me ahead of time. He was careful with the ball bearings, but he must have done something wrong. I've tried to reattach the mirror, but I don't want to push too hard because I'm afraid I'll push the windshield right out the front. Maybe I'll stop by Lexus next Monday.

Of MUCH MORE concern, I now have a considerable amount of distortion (i.e., the fish bowl effect) in the lower right corner of my windshield. I know I never had it before. It's most noticeable on the highway. When driving in the far left lane of a 3 lane highway, the lane divider dividing the far right and middle lanes passes through the lower right corner of the windshield. Rather than pass through at a downward angle (because of the perspective), it darts straight down once it hits that corner. I assume this is an issue with the glass. I don't know if it's worth complaining about because, after all, who the hell drives down the road looking out the bottom right hand corner of the windshield? I'll probably call my insurance agent and/or All Star Glass on Monday. Man, it's always something with me. Always.

On a positive note, there is absolutely no wind noise to speak of.

Damnit.

e
Old 05-19-06, 04:30 PM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

Good to hear.....make sure you leave the tape on for 48 hours......and leave it in the sun tomorrow if you can. It will help it set
Old 05-19-06, 05:12 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Good to hear.....make sure you leave the tape on for 48 hours......and leave it in the sun tomorrow if you can. It will help it set
Good to hear?????? Good to hear?????? I think you may have stopped reading too soon.

As for the tape, the installer told me I could take it off for the drive home. I had it on there for about 6-7 hours.

e
Old 05-19-06, 08:31 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the two problems E. Hopefully they can fix it up for you soon
Old 05-19-06, 08:39 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Sorry to hear about the two problems E. Hopefully they can fix it up for you soon
Thanks Rich. I think I bring it on myself to some extent. I mean I'm so damn **** when it comes to certain things. Let's face it -- most people probably wouldn't even notice the distortion. It's below the mfr etching in the lower right hand corner of the windshield. I think most people would notice the rear view mirror falling off. I'm thankful that I don't have any wind noise at highway speeds. I'm going to call the glass company tomorrow to ask about the distortion and to see what my options are. I suppose they could just swap it out for a different one, but knowing my luck, there would be some other more serious problem.

Does anyone know if the factory glass has a light tint to it? The new one seems very clear, and I can't tell if it's because the factory glass was tinted or so hazed over from specks and chips.
Old 05-20-06, 06:35 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Default Yet another update

Okay, most of you probably are sick of this thread by now, but for those who aren't, please read on.

After my rear view mirror fell off again this morning , I figured I would call All Star to let them know that I had a few issues. The first thing I did at the start of the call was to compliment the installer and let them know how incredibly pleased I was with his level of professionalism and the quality of his work. They appreciated that. I then told them about the rear view mirror and the blurring/distortion issue. They couldn't have been nicer about it. With respect to the mirror, they said they would be happy to send someone to my house right away. With respect to the distortion, they said that every once in a while they get a piece of glass that is slightly off, and they would be happy to order me a new one and install it next week. They said they could come out to my office on Monday, but they want to make sure the adhesive has fully set up before they take out the windshield (otherwise, it would be a pretty messy job), so we made the appointment for Thursday. I couldn't be happier with the way they treated me. For anyone who needs a windshield in the Chicago area, I would highly recommend All Star Auto Glass.

Between now and then, here's the question. Do I stick with PPG? Would I be better off with Pilkington? There's another brand that All Star recommends called AV-TECH, which I've never heard of. The price for the Lexus glass is $600. I'm really not interested in forking over another $500 (on top of what I've already spent ) for a piece of glass, unless someone can guarantee me that there will be no distortion issues. I know people on CL have had good luck with PPG, so maybe it's just my bad luck.

e

Quick Reply: Replacing windshield with aftermarket glass -- ADVICE NEEDED