GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Replacing windshield with aftermarket glass -- ADVICE NEEDED

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-06, 08:25 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Call ahead and ask permission to inspect the glass prior to intallation. As this is your second windshield, I feel it would be expected of you. They will be sure to inspect the glass before you and give you a good piece.

Best of Luck ...
Old 05-20-06, 10:11 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I belive that PPG and Pilkington it's the same company. PPG is a shortcut for Pilkington i think, well it really don't matter. Good luck on getting new one, Eric
Old 05-20-06, 12:56 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Here's another problem I noticed today. There is definitely something loose on the passenger side lower corner. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something is shaking when I go over firm bumps. I wouldn't call it a rattle, because it doesn't sound like a screw or anything like that. It sounds more like a larger piece, like trim or the dash, shaking when I go over bumps. I'm hoping this will get resolved when I get the new windshield next week. Could it be the long piece of plastic trim (that's lined with fabric) that runs along the inside side edges of the windshield that connects the dash to the inside roof? I grabbed onto it and it does move back and forth slightly, but then again, so does the driver's side. Could someone go out to their car and check this for me? I just need someone to grab onto the piece inside the car that extends from the dash to the roof along either side of the windshield. Does it move laterally at all?

Last edited by e-man; 05-20-06 at 01:00 PM.
Old 05-20-06, 01:33 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear that they are taking care of you E
Old 05-21-06, 06:30 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
Here's another problem I noticed today. There is definitely something loose on the passenger side lower corner. I can't quite put my finger on it, but something is shaking when I go over firm bumps. I wouldn't call it a rattle, because it doesn't sound like a screw or anything like that. It sounds more like a larger piece, like trim or the dash, shaking when I go over bumps. I'm hoping this will get resolved when I get the new windshield next week. Could it be the long piece of plastic trim (that's lined with fabric) that runs along the inside side edges of the windshield that connects the dash to the inside roof? I grabbed onto it and it does move back and forth slightly, but then again, so does the driver's side. Could someone go out to their car and check this for me? I just need someone to grab onto the piece inside the car that extends from the dash to the roof along either side of the windshield. Does it move laterally at all?
hey e-glad to hear they are trying again, good luck.

I tried to wiggle the painted strip from front to back and it has no play in it.(that's the part you said is loose, right?) maybe they broke one or some of the clips that hold that piece on......?

edit: I think the loose piece yu're talking about is inside the car....right?
Old 05-21-06, 08:02 AM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by chuckb
hey e-glad to hear they are trying again, good luck.

I tried to wiggle the painted strip from front to back and it has no play in it.(that's the part you said is loose, right?) maybe they broke one or some of the clips that hold that piece on......?

edit: I think the loose piece yu're talking about is inside the car....right?
Right, the loose piece I'm talking about is inside the car. However, last night when I went out to shake the piece some more, pound my dash in various locations and hit the windshield (man, I've got some serious mental problems), I realized that the trim piece is really just a hollow piece of plastic, and it has some compression to it if you squeeze it at its edges. I guess it's possible that one of the mounting clips that holds the windshield in place is loose. Then again, it's possible that I'm a moron and something is bouncing around in my glovebox. I don't think so, though, because I noticed the noise as soon as I left work after the work was done.

Moral of the story here -- if you get a rock chip, get it fixed RIGHT AWAY. My chip happened on Monday, and by Wednesday, it had spidered across my windshield. I'm sure this issue will get resolved this week, but it's a pain. I have no regrets. My windshield was completely trashed before the chip and was totally annoying when driving into the sun, so I was due for a new one, but I could definitely do without the hassle. Oh well, you live and you learn. It's just a car (did I really just say that?).

e

Last edited by e-man; 05-21-06 at 01:29 PM.
Old 05-21-06, 08:06 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe I should go out and tape off my car and throw a small rock at the windshield, because as you know mine is just as bad and it is the one thing that is really bothering me now
Old 05-21-06, 10:14 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
Maybe I should go out and tape off my car and throw a small rock at the windshield, because as you know mine is just as bad and it is the one thing that is really bothering me now
hey Rich, I have a pellet gun
Old 05-21-06, 11:39 AM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

E-man im sorry to hear bout your windshield but glad to hear they are fixing it with no problem...i was also banging on the windsheild and making sure everything is good lol...the guy i went to didnt put any tape on mine he just let it set in the garage for a few hours after the install...the PPG is doing good so far no wind noise,leaks..the only bad thing was that after i got home it started to pour like crazy so i hope that didnt mess with it setting or drying the right way but so far doesnt look like it did....hopefully your next install will be better just be positive bout it bro...good luck E-man
Old 05-21-06, 01:36 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tuddy
E-man im sorry to hear bout your windshield but glad to hear they are fixing it with no problem...i was also banging on the windsheild and making sure everything is good lol...the guy i went to didnt put any tape on mine he just let it set in the garage for a few hours after the install...the PPG is doing good so far no wind noise,leaks..the only bad thing was that after i got home it started to pour like crazy so i hope that didnt mess with it setting or drying the right way but so far doesnt look like it did....hopefully your next install will be better just be positive bout it bro...good luck E-man
Thanks, Tuddy. I have to say that the experience has been overall very positive. Other than the extreme bottom right hand corner of the windshield, the glass is perfect. It's nice to be able to see clearly now when for so long everything has been a hazy speckled mess (and Rich knows exactly what I'm talking about).

Hey Tuddy. Could you do me a favor? If your car is nearby, would you mind going outside and, from the driver's seat, look out through the lower right hand corner of the glass (right at the name stamp and slightly below). If the car is parked outside, all the better. With my car on the driveway, when I look out through the lower right hand corner of the windshield onto the grass, and move my head up and then down, you can see that there's distortion in that area of the glass. I've been doing a lot of research on this, and apparently, glass distortion is a fairly common issue, even on brand new cars (a lot of early MDX and Audi owners have this issue). I have absolutely no wind noise or leaks, and I'm almost thinking that I should just deal with this little issue because I'm sure something much worse will happen if I let them swap it out (like the roof of my car caving in). If there is such a thing as a curse, I've had it the last few weeks.
Old 05-21-06, 03:07 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i just went out and checked on it and it seems fine..

how bad is it? you mean as well get it swapped out if its bothering you ya know

good luck though bro
Old 05-21-06, 05:47 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Originally Posted by tuddy
i just went out and checked on it and it seems fine..

how bad is it? you mean as well get it swapped out if its bothering you ya know

good luck though bro
It's not bad at all, but I definitely notice it if I look for it. I just don't want to put my car through another windshield change if I don't have to.
Old 05-24-06, 12:05 AM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXSOOS
I belive that PPG and Pilkington it's the same company. PPG is a shortcut for Pilkington i think, well it really don't matter. Good luck on getting new one, Eric
I don't believe they are the same company. PPG stands for Pittsburgh Plate Glass. There are more than 80 companies worldwide that produce automotive glass, including windshields. Major producers in the United States include PPG, Guardian Industries Corp., and Libby-Owens Ford. Major Japanese flat glass manufacturers include Asahi Glass Co., Central Glass Co., and Nippon Sheet Glass Co. Not sure who Toyota/Lexus uses for the OEM glass. Most likely they have more than one supplier so they are not totally dependent on any single supplier for 100% of their needs.
Old 05-24-06, 11:35 AM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank's for correction, for some reason I tought PPG is Pilkington. Anyway hopefully he'll get it done well -this time
Old 05-25-06, 05:16 PM
rwheelz
Pole Position

damn my windshield is cracked, I thought nothing of getting a cheap replacement until I read this thread! I am going to wait until inspection time I think, then deal with it. It has taken 3 hits that chipped it, and one caused a 1' long crack.

Quick Reply: Replacing windshield with aftermarket glass -- ADVICE NEEDED