GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

where did you mount your xbox

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-06, 01:29 AM
Nolbi-Wan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default where did you mount your xbox

i was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions on where to mount my xbox in my GS. if any has pics that would be great too. thanks
Old 05-22-06, 04:25 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I mounted mine underneath the glovebox because I didnt want it to rattle apart in the trunk. Pretty soon I will remove the blue pieces and go back to black before I paint it to match the interior. Im also considering building some sort of casing for it now that I have it mounted that way even the bar doesnt show.
Attached Thumbnails where did you mount your xbox-108_0408-medium-.jpg  
Old 05-22-06, 10:47 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

hey u guys should try to suspend it with some shock mountings or something to absorb some vibration and bumps so the harddrive can last a bit longer

since they are desktop hard drives and not the 2.5" laptop hard drives so they can only take so much pounding before bad sectors happen
Old 05-22-06, 10:09 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by UberNoob
hey u guys should try to suspend it with some shock mountings or something to absorb some vibration and bumps so the harddrive can last a bit longer

since they are desktop hard drives and not the 2.5" laptop hard drives so they can only take so much pounding before bad sectors happen
That would be redundant since our cars have struts themselves.
Old 05-22-06, 10:17 PM
Tranman

Originally Posted by UberNoob

Actually, if you check most of the carputer forums...most of the guys have their hard drives rigidly mounted...I'd say it would be a very small percentage that have had failures due to vibration. Personally, I would be worried about extreme temperatures...

with that said, I've had my Xbox (with a 250GB drive) in the coldest and hottest extremes here in Cleveland. From 0 degrees to 90 degrees (actually hotter since it was in trunk). And the only issue that I had was when the temperature was in the teens...the hard drive wasn't able to spin up 'til the ambient temperature in the trunk (where it was mounted) rose a bit.
Old 05-22-06, 10:33 PM
Nolbi-Wan
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Tranman
Actually, if you check most of the carputer forums...most of the guys have their hard drives rigidly mounted...I'd say it would be a very small percentage that have had failures due to vibration. Personally, I would be worried about extreme temperatures...

with that said, I've had my Xbox (with a 250GB drive) in the coldest and hottest extremes here in Cleveland. From 0 degrees to 90 degrees (actually hotter since it was in trunk). And the only issue that I had was when the temperature was in the teens...the hard drive wasn't able to spin up 'til the ambient temperature in the trunk (where it was mounted) rose a bit.
i was thinking of mounting it in my trunk but didnt even realize that temp. would be an issue. the xbox is so bulky that its kind of hard to mount it anywhere in the cabin because i want it hidden out of sight. i guess ill figure something out.
Old 05-23-06, 06:48 AM
Tranman

Originally Posted by Nolbi-Wan
i was thinking of mounting it in my trunk but didnt even realize that temp. would be an issue. the xbox is so bulky that its kind of hard to mount it anywhere in the cabin because i want it hidden out of sight. i guess ill figure something out.
Well, it should be fine...the Xbox does have overheat protection and will shutoff if CPU temperatures go over 150 degrees....
Old 05-23-06, 07:27 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Well, it should be fine...the Xbox does have overheat protection and will shutoff if CPU temperatures go over 150 degrees....
Heat for me shouldnt be a problem for me anway as I have modified the cooling system a little. I pulled out the heatsinks and lapped them with 2000 grit sandpaper and they have a mirror smooth finish that results in more surface area touching the chips. I also bumped the voltage going to the fan and put Artic Silver 5 under both heatsinks. My Xbox rarely goes above 110F. I watercooled my xbox in the house for a while but found that it wasnt really necessary.
Old 05-23-06, 10:52 AM
Tranman

Originally Posted by Lexbox
Heat for me shouldnt be a problem for me anway as I have modified the cooling system a little. I pulled out the heatsinks and lapped them with 2000 grit sandpaper and they have a mirror smooth finish that results in more surface area touching the chips. I also bumped the voltage going to the fan and put Artic Silver 5 under both heatsinks. My Xbox rarely goes above 110F. I watercooled my xbox in the house for a while but found that it wasnt really necessary.
Well, you also have the Xbox in the passenger cabin...which has circulating air unlike the trunk. On the hottest days around here, I've hit around 130-135 with it mounted in the trunk. When I go ahead and upgrade to a 400GB drive one of these days, I'll do the extra cooling mods to help it a bit.
Old 05-23-06, 11:11 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Well, you also have the Xbox in the passenger cabin...which has circulating air unlike the trunk. On the hottest days around here, I've hit around 130-135 with it mounted in the trunk. When I go ahead and upgrade to a 400GB drive one of these days, I'll do the extra cooling mods to help it a bit.
The recorded temperatures were actually taken in the house but yeah I understand what you mean. Since I have a 320gb drive I am having a hard time justifying the expense of bumping to a 400gb. I am going to just jump straight to the new 750gb, its only $490. bwahaha