GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Radiator Rot

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-06, 01:35 PM
ClaudiG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Rot

I dropped my car off to have the timing belt changed, water pump replaced, 2 new tires, hoses, etc and just found out that the radiator was rotting. The only thing that stopped the antifreeze from coming out was the leaves/debris that was packed in there.

Has anyone ever heard of a radiator rotting? What will a new radiator cost me for 99 GS400??

Thanks!!
Old 05-23-06, 01:43 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I haven't heard of one rotting. I suppose if the coolant was never changed it might be pretty crusty in there.

Lexus uses radiators with plastic top & bottom tanks. These have been known to start pissing from the seams after a number of years. I replaced mine at the advice of the TRD guys as a precautionary measure (we were installing the TRD thermostat & flushing the coolant anyway).

I think my new radiator was about $200.

I'd recommend using the factory Toyota/Lexus "red" coolant when you drain & flush the system.
Old 05-23-06, 02:00 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was quoted about $354 shipped for a new radiator from Carson Toyota several months ago..but thats for a 98 GS4.
Old 05-23-06, 02:20 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ClaudiG
I dropped my car off to have the timing belt changed, water pump replaced, 2 new tires, hoses, etc and just found out that the radiator was rotting. The only thing that stopped the antifreeze from coming out was the leaves/debris that was packed in there.

Has anyone ever heard of a radiator rotting? What will a new radiator cost me for 99 GS400??

Thanks!!
How do leaves get into the radiator?? That is pretty serious...

But yes, it is good preventative maintenance to change radiators with plastic end tanks after 8-10 years since the plastic can get brittle and will crack easily.
Old 05-23-06, 03:31 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomZX
How do leaves get into the radiator?? That is pretty serious...
New organic radiator fluid?
Old 05-23-06, 06:56 PM
dmanbluesf
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexbox
New organic radiator fluid?
LOL!

-dman
Old 05-23-06, 09:35 PM
engin_ear
Everything in Moderation

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Can you replace a GS radiator with a Koyo?
Old 05-23-06, 11:14 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Get a full aluminum racing radiator
Old 05-24-06, 12:52 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by engin_ear
Can you replace a GS radiator with a Koyo?
Koyo makes a direct replacement, pretty good stuff we use them all the time. Very nice actually.

Around 250 if my memory serves correctly.
Old 05-24-06, 01:17 AM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Any performance advantages with the Koyo?

Radiator cores are aluminum, so I assume the key difference between the Koyo is just the plastic end caps on the oem , or is there better cooling due to other design differences?

I haven't heard any horror stories of oem radiators bursting.

Aside from being just good preventative maintenance any actual recommendation on when to consider changing out a radiator?

My car is 8 years old now but only 50k miles so I'm curious how aging factors into this.
Old 05-24-06, 01:53 AM
DoubleWhoosh
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Any performance advantages with the Koyo?

Radiator cores are aluminum, so I assume the key difference between the Koyo is just the plastic end caps on the oem , or is there better cooling due to other design differences?

I haven't heard any horror stories of oem radiators bursting.

Aside from being just good preventative maintenance any actual recommendation on when to consider changing out a radiator?

My car is 8 years old now but only 50k miles so I'm curious how aging factors into this.
Not really, just a nice, OEM quality replacement. Not like the cheap aftermarket direct replacements that are typically out there. It's built pretty much with the same materials, and style as the Lexus OEM.

They will break sooner or later, normally right at the seam where the top plastic end tank is crimped onto the core. Just the thermal cycling can cause this to happen eventually - I'm honestly surprised it doesn't happen sooner or more often, I guess the manufacturing methods are pretty well evolutionized on these newer style radiators. Hondas tend to blow them up more though, as they sometimes seem to run a little hotter or something. Maybe just a smaller radiator vs what is expected from them.

As far as longevity, as long as you change the coolant at least somewhat frequently, or at least don't let it break down and then start allowing corrosion, not much to worry about. They can last for easily 10-12 years or more, or sometimes they can break much earlier. Just a crapshoot I guess.
Old 05-25-06, 06:23 PM
gregor4
Driver School Candidate

I pulled my radiator a couple of months ago to replace my timing belt and I couldn't believe how much crap gets stuck in between the radiator and the AC condensor.]
Old 05-25-06, 07:00 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Flush the radiator once a year. Toyota red all the way
Old 05-25-06, 07:09 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Can anyone direct me to where I can get a Koyo radiator for my 98 GS4
Old 05-25-06, 07:30 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Do they make any high performance full aluminum radiator for the GS? They have one for the IS and Supra. All of them share the 2JZ motor, but I didn't find anything about them making one for the GS.

Edit: The reason I'm wondering is because the cost of a Koyo OEM replacement radiator is around $250-300. A Lexus/Toyota OEM unit costs $350-400. The cost for the IS and Supra full aluminum high performance radiators made by Koyo cost $350-400. I mean if you are going to replace or upgrade the radiator...wouldn't you go with the better unit for the same money or if it is +/- $50 of an OEM unit? They are welded aluminum at the end tanks so they won't ever leak at the seals like a plastic end tank unit. Better cooling, longer lasting, and cost similar to the OEM unit. Why not.....well besides the availability. Seems like I can't find one for the GS

Last edited by JeffTsai; 05-25-06 at 07:37 PM.

Quick Reply: Radiator Rot