GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Hello from Thailand

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-06, 11:58 AM
Gs L-tune
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joel5150
kamnan, I am so sorry you could not find a GS. In fact, I feel so bad, I am willing to trade you my GS for your Aristo. I know, I know, that is very generous of me, but hey, we CL members do like to make sure we help out our fellow members.
HAHAH I will do the same. Isn't this funny over east like non turbo but over here we willing to do anything to have the real aristo. Nice car you have there Kamnan
Old 05-26-06, 12:51 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Great looking ride and Welcome to CL... I really like those wheels.. The Gold Goes well with the white... thanks for posting such great pics.. See you on the boards...
Old 05-26-06, 01:19 PM
kamnan
Driver School Candidate

As far as I know All the Jap spec cars are limited to 180kmph. That's the legal speed limit in Japan. And there's a gentlemen agreement between all Jap manufacturer to produce up to 280bhp from factory. This is to stop the bhp race between all the major manufacturers. You can notice all the EVO, Supra, RX, Skyline 280bhp from factory in Japan. They do have some special limited edition like the R34 Nur edition which go beyon 280 but they have to run in limited production. The way we sell EVO8 in Thailand (and I think UK too) is with 280 bhp and cap to 180kmph.. The dealer then offer you an 'upgrade kit' which is basically ECU mod to release all the ponies & max speed...
I'll post more pic when I take more. I got to find the list of all the mods tho. Forgot some of the stuff that was on there already.
I thought you guys get the white pipes on the leather too? All the 'real' GS here got them..
Old 05-26-06, 01:31 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kamnan
Don't think i'll do much else with the car.. except get an aftermarket security system. I only have ONE key now WITHOUT remote... it's a pity that i got a nice looking car but have to walk up to the door to stick the key in to unlock it..

I talked to the lexus dealer here and they're just looking to rip me off. They say any aftermarket will NOT work with Lexus... but from what I heard in this forum I think I'll give it a try. and just to proof that things ain't that cheap in the east.. a new Lexus key with remote will cost me equilvalent of 450US$ at the dealer.... Oh I can try buying a blank key from ebay but they won't promise that it would work.. (basically i have to buy from them otherwise they won't make it work for me)...

hey man, no one seems to have gotten back to you yet re: the alarm system. anyone that tells you that an aftermarket alarm wont work in a lexus is an absolute fool my friend. go for it. id recommend a CRIMESTOPPER alarm... i just had one put in my lex last week, the one i bought also included the remote start and the pager in the key fob to let you know whats up with the car if it gets broken in to or when its started, locked, unlocked, etc.... honestly ive had a crimestopper alarm in each of the cars ive owned (upgraded to the newest model they had each time a bought a car... and i have NO complaints... check them out at www.crimestopper.com... not sure where youll be able to pick those up where youre at but if you find one make SURE you have a certified and reputable shop do the install..ive seen my buddies at the shop i get everything done in put a lot of these in cars before and its NOT as easy as you might think. good luck, nice ride.

(here this should lead you to the one i picked up http://www.crimestopper.com/pager05.htm#Informer)
Old 05-26-06, 04:35 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the only GS's that come with factory piping are the SportDesign models and its grey

you have an insane GS there bro, love the white piping good luck with the car and get more pics when you get a chance
Old 05-26-06, 08:04 PM
dmanbluesf
Pole Position

The wheel. Do you guy get the tiptronic button on the steering too? The Lexus here don't. (Another reason why I pick Aristo).
The '01-'05 GS3's have the tiptronic button steering wheel shifters, just like yours. Also, the speedos do black out when the key is out... very much like yours Looks like a GS in toyota clothing and a supra engine
Old 05-27-06, 10:48 AM
jtanoyo1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That gentleman's agreement stuff that the Japanese manufacturers agree on ended last year. That's why the new GS350 is like 330hp.
Old 05-29-06, 09:26 AM
kamnan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info UpsateGS4.. I finally made up my mind and go with the reasonable option. I order the second key from dealer with NO remote (50$). They say the second key CAN start the car. That make me feel a bit better if I ever lock the key in the car or lost it somehow. I'm looking for a proper alarm system. I was looking for crimestopper but I don't think they sell them here. So got to do more homework and find the best one I can get my hands on.
You guys are so lucky. Lexus don't even sell GS400 here. I'll post more pic of the Aristo later.
Newbie question: Is it ok to post pics here? Not sure how the gallery work. I think it will get more exposure to more 2GS owner if I post them here.
Old 05-29-06, 09:42 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info UpsateGS4.. I finally made up my mind and go with the reasonable option. I order the second key from dealer with NO remote (50$). They say the second key CAN start the car. That make me feel a bit better if I ever lock the key in the car or lost it somehow. I'm looking for a proper alarm system. I was looking for crimestopper but I don't think they sell them here. So got to do more homework and find the best one I can get my hands on.
You guys are so lucky. Lexus don't even sell GS400 here. I'll post more pic of the Aristo later.
Newbie question: Is it ok to post pics here? Not sure how the gallery work. I think it will get more exposure to more 2GS owner if I post them here.

definitely post up some pics man you can do it right in this thread if you want.... about the gallery...use that! upload all the pics you want to show us into your gallery here on CL, then instead of only being able to attach one pic to each post you can make up a post of a bunch of pics and just use the links to the pics from the gallery to make them show up here.. if you need help using the little yellow and brown "mountain and sun" button up top to properly insert the pics in here lemme know
Old 05-29-06, 10:10 PM
kamnan
Driver School Candidate

Ok. Thanks for the tip. I'll trying to schedule time with the HKS Aristo owner and take some pics. I would love to see that car in person anyway..
Old 05-30-06, 04:12 AM
aloha08isf
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i am really really jealous...props to a TRUE aristo!
Old 05-30-06, 10:51 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Welcome Kamnan, do you really need that sunroof in Thailand? My wife is from Phuket so we spend a lot of time in Thailand. We'll be there next month, some time in Bangkok then in Phuket. When I was in Bangkok last October, I saw more GS's than previous. I went to a car show a few years ago at the Emporium and they had a new GS displayed, it was around 4 million baht (over $100k US)! Are they still that high or has the pricing come down. I've heard the import taxes are extremely high for high-end cars.

Beautiful car by the way; I would hate to drive it down Sukumvit with all those cab drivers hauling around big farangs.
Old 05-31-06, 10:46 AM
kamnan
Driver School Candidate

Hahaha David: Yeah the sunroof is purely cosmetic.. and Yes the car price is redicilous here. I paid 1.8M baht for mine (45k US$). Imagine what you can get with the same money in US. The import tax is actually went up last year. That's why Lexus don't even bother with GS430 here. Just to put in perspective a brand new Ferrari 360 costs 18.5M which is about 450,000 US$. That is approximately 77 times average annual income for Engineering degree fresh grad.( before tax)

Funny you mentioned Sukumvit, that's where I work.. So I have to drive up and down that all the time... If you're around Sukumvit or Thonglor and see my car don't forget to say Hi...

Last edited by kamnan; 05-31-06 at 10:57 AM. Reason: it was a bit too long so I trim it down a bit.
Old 06-03-06, 03:13 PM
lexus_pit
Driver School Candidate

nice wheels what r the offsets and could you post more pics?