GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

do i need actuator or just plastic thingy?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-06, 10:35 PM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default do i need actuator or just plastic thingy?

hey guys,
need help before dishing out any cash to fix.
my front passenger side door was acting strange. the lock switch would not lock fully or would attempt to move forward to lock and then slide back to unlock.Therefore when i locked the doors using the switch or the key fob, every door would lock except for the one in question. it would only lock if i went around and used the key to manually lock it.
i proceeded to take off the door panel and noticed that the plastic thingy which is supposed to stay firm in the grooves and pull the switch back and forth was broken and that was why the switch would slide back when locked.
when i now try to lock the door manually using the key(which was the only way it locked), it does not lock. if i go the other direction which is open, it opens but the other way to lock does not. the key feels strong like the lock won't turn in that direction. so now my front passenger side door is always open cause it can't lock.
Now here are the questions;
1.is it an actuator problem? (the lock that is)
2.is it possible to buy just that "plastic thingy" that sits in the groove which holds the rod for the switch?
3. does a replacement actuator when purchased consist of the rod with the "plastic thingy" which extends to the switch?
4. i was ata stereo shop and one of them said those aftermarket actuators cannot work for the lexus cause of some computer program stuff. ho true is this?
Finally 5. if i need to replace actuator for lock problem, can i use an aftermarket one and just find the "plastic thingy" to fix the switch problem.

I know this is a long story but please bear with me. right now my front passenger door is unlockable and i need to remedy the situation asap.
Thanks guys or fellow cl members or brothers

P.S i disconnected the battery to see if the lock would reset but nope, still won't lock.

Last edited by oldog; 06-03-06 at 10:37 PM. Reason: change
Old 06-04-06, 01:23 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Have you taken off the door panel and lock cable for some reason lately? I know when I put my component set in I had the same exact problem but I adjusted the black plastic piece where it snaps on and it started locking just fine.
Old 06-04-06, 04:36 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oldog
hey guys,

Now here are the questions;
1.is it an actuator problem? (the lock that is)
2.is it possible to buy just that "plastic thingy" that sits in the groove which holds the rod for the switch?
3. does a replacement actuator when purchased consist of the rod with the "plastic thingy" which extends to the switch?
4. i was ata stereo shop and one of them said those aftermarket actuators cannot work for the lexus cause of some computer program stuff. ho true is this?
Finally 5. if i need to replace actuator for lock problem, can i use an aftermarket one and just find the "plastic thingy" to fix the switch problem.

I know this is a long story but please bear with me. right now my front passenger door is unlockable and i need to remedy the situation asap.
Thanks guys or fellow cl members or brothers

P.S i disconnected the battery to see if the lock would reset but nope, still won't lock.
1. It sounds like the start of an actuator problem
2. I tried and no you can't
3. don't know
4. I would say he's probably not right, but I've searched alot lately for an actual recommended aftermarket actuator part number or name or something and come up empty.
5. I don't think this will fix your problem.

I recently had the same problem with my passenger rear door. I fixed it for a while by snapping the cable sheath back into the door handle but it is acting up again and now I have to manually lock it sometimes.
Old 06-04-06, 07:40 AM
olddog
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thanks for the input guys.....

so this means i have to buy a new actuator.
am going to open the panel again to see if i can get the "plastic thingy" to sit in its place with some adhesives. i just need to know if the oem actuator comes with the rod that extends to the switch. at least before i could lock it manually from the outside. now i can't lock the door.
would visit a junkyard for that part but Canada does not have too many gs lexuses.(which is good cos people admire the car like its a rare breed thats going into extinction which has never been seen )
will take it to a toyota service centre and see what they say. for now i hope nobody realizes it is unlocked.