GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

New owner with a coupla questions:

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-01, 11:29 AM
fisher_price
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New owner with a coupla questions:

Hello--

Thanks to the folks who replied to my first post a few weeks ago-- last week, I got a '98 GS400 silver/grey with 43,250 miles HID / changer / moon roof and have been in heaven since...

Since the end of my warranty is rapidly approaching (first leased 9/8/98 but I've already put 900 miles on it inside ten days), I'm taking it to the local dealer tomorrow (Putnam in Redwood City, CA) for the first time, and wanted to ask a few questions here first if I could:

--I'm concerned about the brakes; after reading some of the old posts here about that, I guess it's probably just the way they feel (almost a little grindy, but not spongy/grabby or shimmying) rather than actual performance... definitely a far cry from the smooth-as-silk, awe-inspring acceleration. It seems like some people had rotors turned / replaced under warranty while others were unsuccessful-- is this due to different dealers or the nature of the car's problem?

--I have the stock 17"s and notice what appears to be rust on the hub behind the wheel. The car was leased and serviced here in California (by Putnam themselves, in fact), which makes this a little confusing-- is it common? Can I lean on them about this or will I get the finger?

--The display on the stereo has a few missing bars on the LCD, making the track time and radio station unreadable. If it's a warranty fix and they'll have to replace the head unit, can anyone tell me if the stock single CD player will control the changer? I'd offer to pay them for the difference...I haven't listened to tapes in several years.

--Is a dealer the only place to get spare keys? I received only one master key and the "door only" key when I bought the car, and having heard a price of $1800 for redoing the lock system if I lose the master, am very interested in getting a spare.

--I was considering having the auto-retracting steering wheel option turned off. Any opinions?

--Any other questions I should ask or things I should have done?

If anyone has recommendations about Putnam, Serramonte, or any other south Bay area / Peninsula service departments I'd love to hear about it...

Thanks in advance for your advice.

--dave

btw, why isn't there any mention of the E shift in my manual?
Old 09-25-01, 11:43 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts
Default Re: New owner with a coupla questions:

Originally posted by fisher_price
... It seems like some people had rotors turned / replaced under warranty while others were unsuccessful-- is this due to different dealers or the nature of the car's problem?

--I have the stock 17"s and notice what appears to be rust on the hub behind the wheel. ... is it common?

--The display on the stereo has a few missing bars on the LCD, making the track time and radio station unreadable. If it's a warranty fix and they'll have to replace the head unit, can anyone tell me if the stock single CD player will control the changer? I'd offer to pay them for the difference...I haven't listened to tapes in several years.

--Is a dealer the only place to get spare keys? I received only one master key and the "door only" key when I bought the car, and having heard a price of $1800 for redoing the lock system if I lose the master, am very interested in getting a spare.

--I was considering having the auto-retracting steering wheel option turned off. Any opinions?
Brakes not feeling right - if I was the dealer, unless there's an actual defect, I wouldn't replace your 43K old brakes under warranty.

Rust on hub behind wheel is normal.

I can't see how an LCD display problem would require a replacement of the head unit, but I'm no expert there. You talk about having the stock single CD unit control a changer, but I thought you have a changer?? Or are you saying you want BOTH a single CD unit AND a changer?? If the latter, I don't think that's possible - car wasn't designed for it. And that has nothing to do with the tapes either way I don't think - I believe the old stock unit (which I've never seen since everyone gets a changer) still had a single CD and a tape.

If you keep the key number safe somewhere, then even if you lose both keys the dealer can make you a new one, so don't worry about having to change all the locks, and yes, you can only get a Lexus key from a dealer.

As for turning off auto-retract for the wheel, I think this is possible, but I wouldn't want it turned off, I like it. Each to their own. But I also keep my wheel telescoped all the way in so my 'retract' is quick with the wheel only having to go 'up' a bit.

Hope that helps.
Old 09-25-01, 11:53 AM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

fisher_price - Bit answered most of your questions. My experience in the last few years is that if there is a problem with the display on the head unit they do replace the whole thing. They just don't have the expertise to get into the electronics other than to identify the bad component and replace it. If it is still under warranty, go ahead and have it replaced. I have used Magnussen in Fremont. Don't know how they would really rate if something tough came up but the big factor so far is their service hours. Open till midnight during the week and open both Saturday and Sunday for service. Went in last Saturday, definitely nice to fit a visit in around my schedule.
Old 09-25-01, 11:56 AM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey dave,

congrats and welcome. i am from LA, but over the years, CL guys have good things to say about serrmante lex. to answer your qs:

1. the breaks: my USUAL lex dealer was kind enough to replace them on the 93 GS and LS 98 on 2 seperate occasions after i complained about warpping problem that resulted in steering wheel shakes. i asked my serveice guy, and he told me lex warranty covers one time replacement. i gladly accepted. try few dealers, and see what they said.

if none would replace them w/no cost to you, and you think you might need new breaks, call steve of carson toyota and get some trd stuff-much better for stopping on a dime.

2. the car should still be uncder warranty, so the stereo should be covered. ask for a new one. if you have the changer, i do not think there is a single feed cd unit available.

def take care these things before warranty expires in 02, or 50k miles. i assume this is a non-certified car so you have no extended warranty. might want to consider getting after market extended warranty such as warrantygold.com

william
Old 09-25-01, 02:39 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Default fisher_price

on the key, contact a clublexus member
DevilDogIS300
DevilDogIS300@clublexus.com
we got me a great deal on the replacement key. very nice guy.

speaking of radio LCD fading/missing bar, I have the same problem too, taking the car in for service in a few days. Lexus dealership in houston offered to replace the entire unit for me, but they did not have it in stock, have to wait, I hope austin Lexus will have this thing in stock hee hee.

anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 09-25-01 at 02:42 PM.
Old 09-25-01, 02:51 PM
fisher_price
Rookie

Thanks for the quick replies, gentlemen.

Just returned from the (brushless) (mostly hand) car wash (two hour lunch-- heh) and am now insanely jealous of the pictures on the board of GS'es with pretty brakes / calipers: my hubs are showing some rust as are the discs, and the calipers are this problematic muddy green color. May have to take everyone's advice and burn half a paycheck on that Supra brake upgrade... going is nice but stopping is probably nicer.

Bitkahuna, thanks for the advice... now all I have to do is find the key number-- but I bet it's on the card with the door-only key on it. Only reason I was thinking about shutting off the moving steering wheel is that I like to drive arms and legs close to straight out-- and having (relatively) short arms, I drive with the steering wheel telescoped all the way out. I imagine I'll get used to it...

RON, I will definitely check out Magnussen-- my work hours are about to become ridiculous and unpredictable again, so open till midnight looks *very* attractive...

I'm semi-heartbroken about the changer thing: I'm insanely moody when it comes to music and changing discs in that thing while driving is rather impossible, except in wretched traffic. I was looking to have an in-dash single player control the changer as well, but I guess I'll have to run out and pick up a few more cartridges instead...

Will, I just checked with WarrantyGold and WarrantDirect; evidently, California has recently passed a law that extended warranty sales transactions must be "face-to-face" and therefore, cannot be done over the phone or the internet (Tony the online sales rep at Warranty Direct sounded mad). Looks like both the above companies have suspended new sales in California for now... but just for kicks, I used an online quote generator and received a quote for ~$1200 to extend my warranty out to 7 years / 100,000 (if I lived in Nevada).

I was under the impression that these cars are reliable to the point where an extended warranty is not needed...?

Thanks again--

--dave
Old 09-25-01, 03:18 PM
GS4Will
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave,

if you are a music lover, then def try to get some ext warranty. the stereo/cd changer can be "moody" as well. my 1st 93 GS had nothing wrong with it after 95k, and the next owner already clocked in 150k miles and still going. but, i had cd skipping issues with my then NAK system, and was glad that i had goood warranty to coevr the replacement.

man, warranty gold cannot be bought on-line?:eek: what is the deal here?

william
Old 09-25-01, 05:57 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,469 Likes on 1,620 Posts

Originally posted by fisher_price
I'm insanely moody when it comes to music and changing discs in that thing while driving is rather impossible, except in wretched traffic. I was looking to have an in-dash single player control the changer as well, but I guess I'll have to run out and pick up a few more cartridges instead...
I've got 3 carts - works fine. Handles 3 different moods anyway

You could also just replace the stereo entirely with an Alpine, Panasonic, or something else that has what you want.
Old 09-25-01, 06:08 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

"If you keep the key number safe somewhere, then even if you lose both keys the dealer can make you a new one, so don't worry about having to change all the locks, and yes, you can only get a Lexus key from a dealer. "

What bitkahuna said is not quite correct:
Correction: base on what I know (i odered my key a few month ago), all you need is the VIN# to get lexus to order/cut you a new key. but this key is useless without the master key (the key with the build-in remote) to program the new key to start the car.

or you can just on open the door, that's it. if you lose both master key, you have to spend $1800 for a new key and the immobilize unit (build into the ECU)

anh
Old 09-28-01, 11:50 PM
fisher_price
Rookie

Thanks for the advice re the good deal on the spare key-- I will definitely check it out as the guys at Magnussen quoted me a price of $285 and a wait of ten days... now, I've never lost my car keys before, but I am very very afraid.

A not-so-quick tale of three Lexus dealers in the BayArea:

As I stated above, I made an appointment at Putnam where the car was originally leased. There was a wait of about ten days, but I figured, whatever, it's just the stereo display.

The day of the appointment, I decide to call to confirm that they've got a loaner available-- work schedule's kinda tight and I didn't have the time to wait around. I called, a woman transfers me to service, and ... voicemail. I call back, explain the situation to the woman, and once again, am transferred to... voicemail.

Over the next fifteen minutes, I got transferred to voicemail a sum total of six times... annoying to say the least.

I called Lexus of Stevens Creek, explained the problem with the car, and am told "you'll have to bring it in-- and our next appointment is November 1." Thanks; buh-bye.

I then remembered to check Magnussen, even though it's across a bridge. The service guy listens to me describe the problem and then says, "When do you want to bring it in?" My response is: "When *can* I being it in?" He says, "Whenever you want." I ask about loaners-- "always available and free of charge." The best part was when he interrupted me after I said "I just bought a 1998 GS400" to say "Congratulations."

Add to that the fact that they're open 24 hours a day Monday through Friday and the fact that I watched them not charge the guy ahead of me for a battery because someone quoted him the wrong price over the phone, and I think I've figured out where I'll be taking my baby for the next little while.

...an hour later-- fifteen minutes before my appointment-- the woman from Putnam calls back and says, "Hello? You were trying to reach me at Putnam Lexus?" "I called to cancel my service appointment which was at two o'clock." "Oh, okay."

...lovely.

Intrguing, innit?