GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

WTH!! Need Help Identifying problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-06, 06:14 AM
ATLien
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WTH!! Need Help Identifying problem

Guys I need some help identifying a problem.

Wake up this morning and I see a puddle of liquid that has pooled around/behind my left rear tire . UH OH. Needless to say I'm freaked. Dip it with the finger it is pretty much colorless but has an oily smell and feel to it so I'm even more freaked out now..

So I look and look to see where the leak is coming from and I find it. On the inside rear fender of both sides there is a part that looks to be a plastic drain type part. It is clear and tapered at the end with what looks like a rubber "boot" or "seal" around it. I checked my wifes pathfinder and she has the same thing on her truck so it appears to be a standard vehicle part but I don't know what the heck it and the fluid is and what it does (I'm thinking its important ).

Now the oil is leaking around the "seal/boot" and it appears that the rubber has failed or something. So I have a few questions.

1. What the hell is this part of the car (the drain part)?

2. What is the fluid that is leaking?

3. How concerned should I be and can I repair this myself?

My digital camera isn't here and I'm charging the wifes as we speak so I will try to get some pics up but if anyone knows from my description what the problem may be please, please, chime in. I'm freaking out over here big time.

The ATLien
Old 06-11-06, 06:18 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

It could be Brake fluid. IF the bleeder valve is open it may leak.. Or maybe the Rear diff.
Old 06-11-06, 06:21 AM
ATLien
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tmf2004
It could be Brake fluid. IF the bleeder valve is open it may leak.. Or maybe the Rear diff.
How can check if the bleeder valve is open?? Sounds like I may have to cough up some dough now
Old 06-11-06, 07:04 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Can you take a picture of the tube? Is it inside the wheel well or up underneath the rear part of the quarter panel? When you first started describing it to me, it sounded like the moonroof drain tube, but the part about it having a boot threw me off.
Old 06-11-06, 07:05 AM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's a little early for the brain, but I dontthink you have anthing to worry about ..its just a drain tube for ....let me go get the book and see BRB
Old 06-11-06, 07:16 AM
ATLien
Driver School Candidate

The Leak
Attached Thumbnails WTH!! Need Help Identifying problem-lex-leak-001-a.jpg  

Last edited by ATLien; 06-11-06 at 07:31 AM.
Old 06-11-06, 07:32 AM
ATLien
Driver School Candidate

The Source
Attached Thumbnails WTH!! Need Help Identifying problem-lex-leak-005-a.jpg  
Old 06-11-06, 07:34 AM
ATLien
Driver School Candidate

Close up of the source
Attached Thumbnails WTH!! Need Help Identifying problem-lex-leak-006-a.jpg  
Old 06-11-06, 07:35 AM
ATLien
Driver School Candidate

Last One.

Blot of the fluid on white paper. (Its clear as far as I can tell but it smells like oil)

Help me my baby's is sick and I don't know whats wrong with her.
Attached Thumbnails WTH!! Need Help Identifying problem-lex-leak-003-a.jpg  
Old 06-11-06, 07:43 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Okay, that's definitely the moonroof drain tube in the picture. Assuming the fluid is coming from there (and that is a big assumption), it could be coming from the moonroof or (more likely) the trunk. If you open up your trunk, and pull up the trunk cover on the left side of the car, you will see where the tube exits the bottom of the car. Look around that area to see whether there is any moisture inside your trunk. Was your moonroof open yesterday? If so, I'm thinking maybe some fluid got in the tube and the reason the puddle seems a little oily is because the fluid simply cleaned out all the dirt that was in the tube. Just a thought. Let us know what you find inside the trunk.

e
Old 06-11-06, 08:04 AM
ATLien
Driver School Candidate

Alright guys found out the problem. I do feel like a complete dumba$$ though. Pull the left cover off the trunk like e-man suggested and wedged next to the jack is an overturned bottle of black magic tire spray .

Not sure how the bottle had got "UNDER" the trunk mat (thats why I didn't find the leak before) but anyhoo. The bottle is leaking next to the moonroof drain tube in the trunk. A nice puddle of tire shine dressing seems to have been sitting for a while(I've been looking for this tire dressing for a month and a half) so long in fact it worked its way through the seal and finally leaked through the boot mixing with the drainwater to give me the mysterious .....drumroll please..........................clear oily leak.

Now that I have throughly worked myself up into a fit and made a fool myself for the world to see on the net for years to come . I think I'll have me a few domestic beers at this early hour and sit in a corner and ponder how in the hell I put my clothes on straight most mornings lol.

Seriously. Thanks for all of the help fellas this is the best site a treasure trove of info for lex drivers and the occasional village idiot LOL.

The ATLien
Old 06-11-06, 08:26 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Glad to hear everything is okay. Enjoy your beer.

e
Old 06-11-06, 04:33 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

LOL, Don't you just hate it when something like this happens? Glad to hear it was just one of things that makes you go "DOH!"
Old 06-11-06, 04:58 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by GWELEX
LOL, Don't you just hate it when something like this happens? Glad to hear it was just one of things that makes you go "DOH!"
When I first got my 98 GS400, I was convinced that the windshield washer sprayer didn't work. I must have pulled the stalk towards me at least 25 times, listening for even the faintest noise from the motor. I went ahead and topped off the washer fluid, and still nothing. Finally, I went into Lexus to get it fixed. You should have seen the look on my face when my service advisor told me "You gotta push the button."
Old 06-11-06, 07:54 PM
dmanbluesf
Pole Position

Originally Posted by e-man
When I first got my 98 GS400, I was convinced that the windshield washer sprayer didn't work. I must have pulled the stalk towards me at least 25 times, listening for even the faintest noise from the motor. I went ahead and topped off the washer fluid, and still nothing. Finally, I went into Lexus to get it fixed. You should have seen the look on my face when my service advisor told me "You gotta push the button."
Hehe, yeah, it is different from most Japanese Cars...

Quick Reply: WTH!! Need Help Identifying problem