GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Tinted the Turn signals... somethin new

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-06, 01:51 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Yeah Im not feeling it either. Maybe some red tint would be better. Or just get some 01+ tails instead.
Old 06-12-06, 08:47 AM
lalexusgs
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DanCheet
yea, i originally went to the tint shop intown for red tint. they didnt have any in stock, so i decided to go this route... 5 bucks in scrap film and i did this. i didnt want to tint the whole taillights because...

A) i hear it was illegal in Wa.
B) the windows are tinted pretty dark and i need all the un-tinted back up lighting i can get.
so i started thinking...

the whole tailing except the backup light could be sweet.. all dark with a little window of silver..hmm....

Thanks for the input fella's, jsut tryin out new ideas.

That's what I did on my old ones, before I switched to 01+ style. I did it with spray though..:
http://public.fotki.com/lalexusgs/la...s/lexus15.html
Old 06-12-06, 09:08 AM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I sort of like the look, but I would have carried the smoke color all the way over the reverse light/lens to make a complete band. The way you have it now emphasizes the reverse lights too much.

The 'smoke band' was a popular look on some AMG Mercedes cars- some of the last generation C-Class cars and the current SL 55 cars have a taillight treatment like this.
Old 06-12-06, 12:48 PM
SloGS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
I sort of like the look, but I would have carried the smoke color all the way over the reverse light/lens to make a complete band. The way you have it now emphasizes the reverse lights too much.

The 'smoke band' was a popular look on some AMG Mercedes cars- some of the last generation C-Class cars and the current SL 55 cars have a taillight treatment like this.
this is what i did to mine, i sprayed the entire strip including the reverse light, looks better IMO, plus i have limo tint on the windows and black wheels and emblems, so it all matches.
Old 06-12-06, 12:52 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea, i originally went to the tint shop intown for red tint. they didnt have any in stock, so i decided to go this route... 5 bucks in scrap film and i did this. i didnt want to tint the whole taillights because...

B) the windows are tinted pretty dark and i need all the un-tinted back up lighting i can get.
so i started thinking...

the whole tailing except the backup light could be sweet.. all dark with a little window of silver..hmm....

makes the tails look cheap in my opinion... dunno not getting the right vibe from this look.. but like the others have said; if it works for you go with it
Old 06-12-06, 03:07 PM
dmanbluesf
Pole Position

so i started thinking...

Now that could look sick!
Old 06-12-06, 03:59 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont like the look of tinted tails, if you want to make them look really good get the 01+ tails
Old 06-12-06, 06:36 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

You think tinting the whole tail doens't look good?
Old 06-12-06, 10:35 PM
DanCheet
Driver School Candidate

haha whoa there buddy. Although i did ask for input, please understand both where i'm coming from and your posted reasoning. First understand that i did not destroy the tailights in any way as the tint can easily be removed without a trace. Thus, your "2 cents," in that respect, is worthless. I'm just tryin somethin new that hasn't been done. where were car modification be without trying new things?

If it looks classy or not, well thats to each persons opinion, but many designers at AMG might argue differently.. the new s65, sl65 and sl55 all have tinted rear turn signals.

.. but thats besides the point. If you want to send me some 2001 tail lights or $1000 for the JP tails, please be my guest.

everyone and their mom has OEM 98-00 and 2001+ tails. Somethin new never hurt. Oh well, to each their own.
Old 06-12-06, 10:51 PM
tuddy
Negative Nancy

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I dont think it looks that bad..maybe if you get a chance see how it looks with the whole strip painted black or maybe just clear it out....
Old 06-12-06, 11:59 PM
V8_Aristo
Bippu

I'm just tryin somethin new that hasn't been done. where were car modification be without trying new things?
Ain't that the truth.....
Old 06-13-06, 02:03 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry...nice try...but I rather see you tint the entire thing with 35% smoke that just the turn signals.
Old 06-13-06, 08:46 AM
DanCheet
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PHML
Sorry...nice try...but I rather see you tint the entire thing with 35% smoke that just the turn signals.
haha, yea i'm thinkin about it... its all about baby steps
Old 06-13-06, 08:59 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

haha whoa there buddy. Although i did ask for input, please understand both where i'm coming from and your posted reasoning. First understand that i did not destroy the tailights in any way as the tint can easily be removed without a trace. Thus, your "2 cents," in that respect, is worthless. I'm just tryin somethin new that hasn't been done. where were car modification be without trying new things?

If it looks classy or not, well thats to each persons opinion, but many designers at AMG might argue differently.. the new s65, sl65 and sl55 all have tinted rear turn signals.

.. but thats besides the point. If you want to send me some 2001 tail lights or $1000 for the JP tails, please be my guest.

everyone and their mom has OEM 98-00 and 2001+ tails. Somethin new never hurt. Oh well, to each their own.

those look nice because its factory, not tint, and its all the way across. <--- give that a shot, and if youre having problems seeing when you back up, just install one of those HELLA headlight racks on your roof with the 6 huge lights on it but point it in reverse instead of forward, youll never back into anything again and your lexus will have that sweet custom look.
Old 06-13-06, 09:46 AM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

If I were you Dan, I would tint the whole strip but lighter. I am willing to give you my extra tint spray that I have...I am tinting my whole tails and realize I bought too much. Feel free to pm me for it, and of course no charge at all...

Quick Reply: Tinted the Turn signals... somethin new