GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Some punk tried to steal my foglights

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-06, 05:15 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Some punk tried to steal my foglights

I went to a local community college today and parked there, way in the back with no other cars around. I was on my way to get some info for a friend of mine. I was only going to go in for 20 minutes max. Came out in about 15 minutes.

On my way out, I notice a late 90's silver Honda Prelude parked beside my car. Odd, because there were no cars within several parking slots. I walked towards my car and I see a young (18-21) asian dude, about 5'3' and very skinny at about 110 lbs. get up from in front of my car and walked quickly over to his Prelude. I didn't think anything of it, since his car was beside mine and he may have been getting something. He had on a backback and slid into his driver seat quickly. I went over to open my trunk to put some stuff in as the Prelude guy sped off very quickly. OK, this is very suspicious now and I went over to look at my car.

My driver side foglight was hanging by the wires. I look over and the Prelude is already out of sight. Now it hits me that this punk was trying to steal my foglights. The screws are gone and now my foglight can't go back into the housing right because pieces of plastic were chipped away because he was probably tugging at it. I had to tape my foglight onto my car because it might fall off. Anyone know if Lexus sells these screws because I need a couple right now.

Damn. Although this doesn't compare to the stories I read here, but I definately know that feeling now. After going through this myself and reading CL members getting their cars damaged, broken into or even stolen, it makes you wanna go out and kick some punk's ***
Old 06-19-06, 05:28 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Unbelievable. At least he didn't get away with them. I'll tell you what's really unbelievable, though -- that Lexus designed the car such that the fog lights are so easy to steal.
Old 06-19-06, 06:00 PM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a way you are fortunate that you got back as quickly as you did. Too bad you couldn't get a plate number and I'm sorry to hear about the damage.
Old 06-19-06, 06:01 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

That sucks man. He must have knew that they were super easy to steal. Maybe he has a friend with one or somin. I am just glad that you were quick and you got back in time! JW were they clear or yellow fogs?
Old 06-19-06, 06:26 PM
oki_boy
Pole Position

Damn asians and Honda owners. At least he didn't get them. He probably s@$t himself when he saw you coming.
Old 06-19-06, 06:28 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

Thanks. I usually drive my other cars around but this time, I ended up in the GS. My car isn't even modded. All it has is 20's. Nonetheless, a target anyway. I did not file a police report because a friend of mine had his car broken into at the same school and the police ended up questioning his story and even hinting that he probably staged the whole thing. And they don't even have security cameras in the parking lot, according to him.

The fogs were yellow and if he had seen me coming through the school, he would have seen the yellows because my lights were on. I agree that Lexus/Toyota made them too easy to take off. It's the same way for the Toyota's that I've owned as well.

Little punk was running for his life when he saw me come towards the car. He even had his car parked face out in anticipation for a quick escape. He had a backback on but was so scared that he didn't bother to take it off. He slid into his car and left the opposite direction of where I was. All of it happened within 5 seconds. Lucky for him because if I had been aware, I would have ran up to him and kicked his ***.
Old 06-19-06, 06:29 PM
jonathancl
Racer

Received 365 Likes on 254 Posts

Where exactly was he going to sell it?
One of mine is broken...
Old 06-19-06, 06:31 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get some allen head screw at your local hardware store. bring in your stock one so the can match the tread and lenght.

with an allen head, it harder to steal because most people don't carry allen wrenches. if you can find some torx heads, even better.
Old 06-19-06, 06:32 PM
oki_boy
Pole Position

Hell yeah running dropkick! Does everything still work properly? I'd just keep an eye out for the prelude.
Old 06-19-06, 06:49 PM
GStateOM
Lead Lap

^Thanks. will do tomorrow

Since the plastic is chipped, you can't twist the bulb onto the light/lense anymore. It works when it's connected, but since it isn't secured properly, it can fall off easily again. I tried to twist it right in again, but even tapping the bumper lightly and the bulb is disconnected again. Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? He chipped away a piece that was maybe the size of 3 ants, so it's small but enough to cause this damage.

As for the Prelude, I don't think I could find it again. It looks just like this one, only lowered and had a fart can. There's probably at least a dozen of similar cars on this side of town alone.

Maybe if I cruise the school parking lot again on another day, I could find him.

Last edited by GStateOM; 06-19-06 at 06:58 PM.
Old 06-19-06, 07:14 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

it's more than likely that you'll see him again. no reason for him to be sleuthing around in the parking lot of the school waaaaaaay in the back if he didn't go there.
Old 06-19-06, 08:45 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Yes, the foglights are WAYYY too easy to steal . I can completely remove one foglight on my car in about 10 seconds flat(remove 2 screws + twist out bulb). I was going to do a HID projector retrofit in my foglights, but I'm afraid someone is going to jack it. So, I'm holding off on that project for now until I get another bumper that has the screws secured from the inside like the Vertex kit.
Old 06-19-06, 09:27 PM
benzo555
Lexus Test Driver

I went to home depot and picked up a set of allen head screws. They are in the special bin 5mm by 16mm on the screws and bolts aisle. They are only about 1.50 for a set of two. Makes it a lil harder to steal but hardly anyone carries a set of allen heads with them.
Old 06-19-06, 10:50 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Yep here in Chicago theifs walk around with power hand tools to unscrew things like headlights in seconds. Replace the bolts with Hex screws and 99 percent of all theifs wont have anything to open them with.
Old 06-19-06, 10:55 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by benzo555
I went to home depot and picked up a set of allen head screws. They are in the special bin 5mm by 16mm on the screws and bolts aisle. They are only about 1.50 for a set of two. Makes it a lil harder to steal but hardly anyone carries a set of allen heads with them.
sweet idea. thanks for the tip!

Quick Reply: Some punk tried to steal my foglights