GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Drifting with Gs300

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-06, 06:44 PM
tonysofly
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

btw, my car was hoppin and skippin, so just imagine what would happen if it wasn't wet outside. you'd probably do some major damage and flip the thing over or somethin....
Old 06-20-06, 08:35 PM
bighitbike
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DruMnBaSS
hahahah dude my car has airbags and i drift all the time with 20"s lol
I damn well hope you're kidding.
Old 06-21-06, 08:26 AM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AZ-GS300
I'm still trying to figure out the difference between drifting and power sliding. They both look remarkably similar to me.

Powersliding (aka power-over) - is pretty self explanatory, it is when you initiate a slide by applying power. Powerslides are considered more uncontrolled slides. A power-over is considered part of drifting but it pertains more to the middle or exit of a drift as opposed to initiating a drift.

Drifting - is when an intentional slide is initiated at the beginning of a slide and continually help all the way through a corner by using a combination of acceleration, braking and countersteering. Drifting is a controlled slide where you can continuously keep control of the vehicle through a number of turns without regaining traction (i.e. tires screeching continuously).

it is controversial because they are similar however they are different. hope that helps.. if anyone has anything to add or correct please do
Old 06-21-06, 09:13 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mrkenji
Powersliding (aka power-over) - is pretty self explanatory, it is when you initiate a slide by applying power. Powerslides are considered more uncontrolled slides. A power-over is considered part of drifting but it pertains more to the middle or exit of a drift as opposed to initiating a drift.

Drifting - is when an intentional slide is initiated at the beginning of a slide and continually help all the way through a corner by using a combination of acceleration, braking and countersteering. Drifting is a controlled slide where you can continuously keep control of the vehicle through a number of turns without regaining traction (i.e. tires screeching continuously).

it is controversial because they are similar however they are different. hope that helps.. if anyone has anything to add or correct please do
It sounds to me like the only real difference is how the slide is initiated.

So is drifting really an attempt of lower power cars to create the illusion of a powerslide?
Old 06-21-06, 10:57 AM
Burton
Pole Position

Suspention upgrades are all good for drifting, but you have missed the one thind a GS dosn't have stock that will alow you to drift and not just uncontrolably slide around.

You have to have a LSD Diferential to hold a drift.. If you are on the stock open diff you are not drifting you are powersliding.

Ben
Old 06-21-06, 11:09 AM
nicola
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DruMnBaSS
hahah thats what im talkin bout!!!! im on bags.. once day i destroyed my front fender sliding thru a light ... was a lil too low opened up that fender like a can of sardines.. thank god i was a lil buzzed at the time made it funny not sad

yea that's ****ing hilarious - driving like an *******, while drunk.
Old 06-21-06, 11:22 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Burton
You have to have a LSD Diferential to hold a drift.. If you are on the stock open diff you are not drifting you are powersliding.
Why? Where did you get that?
Old 06-21-06, 12:08 PM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Team Lexus at LexFest 05 giving a drifting expedition, not a GS but an IS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jymoes__Lc4

here are a couple of pics

And a big picture of what your tires will look like afterwards

Last edited by oohpapi44; 06-21-06 at 12:28 PM.
Old 06-21-06, 12:17 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,280 Likes on 1,386 Posts

You guys interested in drifting should look for some old posts with videos by Lexusrules (sasha) from the old days. Outfitted his mom's GS300 up in Canada with some stiff coilovers and was sliding around corners five years ago
Old 06-21-06, 12:31 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

"Thats a 500hp Viper....with a Borla exhaust" lol
Old 06-22-06, 07:36 AM
Burton
Pole Position

Why? Where did you get that?
Here is one place, but there are many others

http://www.driftclub.com/setup.htm
Old 06-22-06, 10:08 AM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

oh yes i forgot to mention that as well.. GS dont come with OEM lsd which is what helps both of the rear wheels to spin at the same speed at the same time which helps by allowing the wheels to spin continuously while creating a drift as well as assists with overall acceleration. that is why a common upgrade is lsd on most performance cars.

when you are running open diferential like GS' come stock one wheel always spins faster than the other and sometimes one wheel doesnt spin at all. the power is transferred to the opposite wheel. whichever one the car feels is necessary .
Old 06-22-06, 11:51 AM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Burton
Here is one place, but there are many others

http://www.driftclub.com/setup.htm
Doesn't say it's required, but it does make it easier. Get enough power and you don't NEED LSD.
Old 06-22-06, 12:24 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Doesn't say it's required, but it does make it easier. Get enough power and you don't NEED LSD.
yeah but we're talking about a gs300...

i don't think they have enough power.
Old 06-22-06, 12:30 PM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

it would be significantly easier with lsd than without because youd have more of a smooth flowing slide as opposed to one stops because the opposite wheel starts spinning..

Quick Reply: Drifting with Gs300