GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My tint is too dark

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 02:40 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

I've heard of stories where the cop will peel the tint off halfway to where its obviously damaged and you have to take it to a shop to get it removed or redone. Then they also write you a ticket on top. Talk about adding salt to the wound!

Good thing I've never heard of this happening in my area though. I have some friends rolling around in 5% and even a few guys that have 20% on the front!
Old 06-21-06, 06:05 AM
SloGS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
I've heard of stories where the cop will peel the tint off halfway to where its obviously damaged and you have to take it to a shop to get it removed or redone. Then they also write you a ticket on top. Talk about adding salt to the wound!

Good thing I've never heard of this happening in my area though. I have some friends rolling around in 5% and even a few guys that have 20% on the front!
Ive heard things like that before, a buddy of mine had his cut up by the cop, and he wrote him a $75 fine. I got limo all around, and i get harassed occasionally about it, but everytime i see cops i slide the sunroof cover back, lets more light in the car, makes the tint look lighter! I just play stupid every time i get pulled over for it, tell them that i got the car like this and that i was not aware of how dark it is. Ive had it for a year and a half now, got pulled over 3 times for tint, no tickets yet!
Old 06-21-06, 06:47 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cops got nothing better to do
Old 06-21-06, 07:20 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you open the sunroof and let light in through the top it looks lighter too.
Old 06-21-06, 09:27 AM
cr00klyn71
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEXUS_KID

Cops got nothing better to do
Agreed!
Old 06-21-06, 01:09 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JeffTsai

Uh... if any cop damaged my car in any way i would flip out. Even if the tint is illegal, he is only allowed to write u a ticket. I would get his badge # and file a complaint. He is abusing his power. Make that bastard come out his pocket for some dough. It'll probably take like 3-5 years or some b.s. like that, but if enough people give heat he will stop. just my 2 cents
Old 06-21-06, 03:50 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

I am going to get 32% on just the front two windows. I think I can live with that.
Old 06-22-06, 09:12 AM
#1gs300
Lead Lap

Well i got something to be happy to live in philly for the cops hve better things to worry about than tint. Ive been driving with 5% tint for 4 1/2 yrs know. I've never got ton a single ticket. for tint. I've also driven to jersey to get my daughter 2 to 3 day's a week and never been bothered by a cop. about tint. Know by me posting this i'll get a ticket i just probably jinxed my self.
Old 06-22-06, 09:25 AM
JMgs300
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The police here in Nj never bother me for my tint, and its 5% all the way around.... The only time they will give me a ticket is if they pull me over for some other reason... To tell the truth it actually saves me most of the time because say i get pulled over for speeding, if they feel like being nice they will just let me off with the tint ticket.
Old 06-22-06, 01:33 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

tint tickets are gay, and so are the cops who write them, honestly. all their cars are tinted practically BLACK.. i dont care if its a safety issue for them, its a safety issue for ME when their cars are tinted and i get pulled over and i dont know if the guy pulling me over is just a regular cop or 5 crazy goons that shot him and stole his ride. its the equivalent of cops writing you cellphone tickets when you see them driving down the road yapping on a cellphone in one hand a cig in the other and no hands on the wheel.. but if YOU do it, youre wrong.. here in NY you can only have 70% or lighter tint. 70% you cant even tell you have tint on your car, so basically rule of thumb around here is, where i live anyway..you want tint? get it as dark as you want all the way around because no matter what, its basically illegal... the standard grades of measurement for tint you can buy, like sunguard anyways, is 5% (limo), 20%, 35% & 70% (being the lightest)... you cant get any MORE or less of a tint ticket the darker you go. if youre gonna get a ticket youre gonna get one regardless. around here when i get tint tickets the judge tells me if you rip it off ill drop the fine, i just pay up and hope i dont get pulled over by the same idiot cop again next time... mines only 20% and ive yet to be bothered in my GS, but my old car had 5% and i got pulled over every week... who cares though if you like it, you keep it, and pay the price for having what you want. same thing goes for the front plate around here. i just got pulled over a month ago and have court 7/5. (they cant write you the same ticket for a ticket like this again in the time period before you go to court so its basically like another free month pass to not get in trouble for it again until after that court date) they say you have to have the front plate on, i cant stand the way it looks so i tell them no, its a $50 fine, around $40-50 court fee....$100 bucks every once in a while on the rare occassion one of the losers is feeling useless enough to pull me over for something like that, and $0 every time i ask our family friend/lawyer to stop in court and get it dropped...but my car doesnt look as stupid as it would with the front plate on, and im happy

Last edited by upstateGS4; 06-22-06 at 01:38 PM.
Old 06-22-06, 03:26 PM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Thats a great idea sliding the sunroof back. I will need that tint soon since Auburn cops are alot more strict then the Mobile cops in AL.
Old 06-22-06, 03:44 PM
lexmenow
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexbox
Thats a great idea sliding the sunroof back. I will need that tint soon since Auburn cops are alot more strict then the Mobile cops in AL.
Itried that today. It didnt help.
Old 06-22-06, 03:52 PM
bigL
Pole Position

This is not an issue in Indy.Whenever Ive been pulled over I immediatly put down the drivers window so they can see me and the thought never crosses there mind.