GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

SSR Professor SP1's (in Black) on Black Onyx GS

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-06, 09:59 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SSR Professor SP1's (in Black) on Black Onyx GS

I resurrected a thread in the Tire Rack forum first, but not much for feedback. One CL member did reply saying he ordered a set for his 2nd gen GS. Since these are for a GS, I'd like to know what other GS owners have to say about these wheels...

I've been thinking of a set of SSR SP1's in black for my black GS4. I can't find any GSs with these wheels. Seems that if Carson Toyota likes the match, I can't be too wrong myself. And I've seen these on a few cars recenly in SuperStreet mag.

Anyone have pics of a 2nd gen GS (black onyx) with SSR Professor SP1's?? The pic I get from the Tire Rack doesn't do it justice IMHO.

I'd like to know more about the construction. Are they full forged or some casting?

Suggestions...likes or dislikes are welcomed. I'm hoping they still make these for my GS and have room for BBK upgrade.

Edit: ...added pic...
Attached Thumbnails SSR Professor SP1's (in Black) on Black Onyx GS-ss_wheel_prof_sp1_blk_ci3_l.jpg  

Last edited by bmgs400; 06-21-06 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-21-06, 10:44 AM
AZDesertGS
Lexus Test Driver

I'm not feeling them......To me they look like a racing wheel. Which is cool if thats what you are looking for. Don't know what size your planning but I have a feeling they are going to look smaller then what they actually are because of the blade design. But........you never know till you see it on the car. Have you tried to see if someone can photochop it for you???
Old 06-21-06, 11:21 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by AZDesertGS
I'm not feeling them......To me they look like a racing wheel. Which is cool if thats what you are looking for. Don't know what size your planning but I have a feeling they are going to look smaller then what they actually are because of the blade design. But........you never know till you see it on the car. Have you tried to see if someone can photochop it for you???
Yeah, with the step lip...it will look smaller. I'll see if anyone can photochop a black GS, thanks.
Old 06-21-06, 11:52 AM
Nonsteezy
Driver School Candidate

My friend (DETUNED) just ordered them in 19's for his black gs so hopefully when they come in he can put the pics up to show how they look.
Old 06-21-06, 11:57 AM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

SSR's use semi-solid forged which is actually stronger than regular forged wheels. Sp-1's are hard to come by in good offsets.
Old 06-21-06, 12:30 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I like the SP1, but I see it as a wheel for Nissan 240SXs, RX-7, Supra, etc.

The only issue I have with the Japanese wheels is that they won't repair the wheels or supply replacement rim sections. So, if you bend one, you pretty much have to replace it... but it's not the end of the world.

Is SSR still around? I know they have serious financial issues a year or two ago.
Old 06-21-06, 02:12 PM
MikeFD3S
Lead Lap

Speed Star Wheel Co. is now owned and operated by Tanabe Japan, but distribution in the US is through Tire Rack.

Ownership of the company changed, but all of the machinery, factory, processes are still the same.
Old 06-21-06, 02:51 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i like these wheels because of the step lip. Gives the wheels a classic look. I think they'll look great on your car. Have you thought about silver SP-1?
Old 06-21-06, 10:16 PM
manila_boy
Lead Lap

maybe this can help
Attached Thumbnails SSR Professor SP1's (in Black) on Black Onyx GS-gs-ssr.jpg  
Old 06-21-06, 10:24 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by manila_boy
maybe this can help

I think those are Work Meister S1's 2pc...they are very similar to the Professor SP1's but the S1's spokes tend to curve more
Old 06-22-06, 04:40 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the replies!
Nonsteezy - Right on...hope he puts up pics after he gets them on.
MikeFD3S - Great info!
SoCalSC4 - Thanks! Can onyone else confirm a purchase of a complete wheel is needed to replace a bend rim. Not what I'd expect from getting a multipiece wheel.
MikeFD3S - Thanks! I believe there was a post (or thread) some time ago in another forum mentioning SSR has new owners.
onihc - I'm still thinking it over...black or silver....but leaning towards black...more sport looking.
manila_boy - Nice pic!
Seize - Yep, the SP1's do have a flare curve as the spoke meet the rim.
Old 06-22-06, 08:50 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Originally Posted by bmgs400
Seize - Yep, the SP1's do have a flare curve as the spoke meet the rim.

Yes, I know that...my friend has SP1's on his 240, so I know how they look like in person I'm just saying that the wheels on that silver GS that were posted look to be more like the Work Meister S1's (if you look closely you can see that the wheel has no rivets as opposed to the SP1, which does have the rivets)

Here's a few pics of Work Meister S1's...you guys can judge for yourself

Old 06-22-06, 09:08 AM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

i personally love the wheels however on a GS i dont know if they are the right wheels.. seize is right the ones in the pics do look more like Meisters. Those wheels could work if you want to go for more of a sporty look and could actually accent your car well if you have the right mods meaning that your exterior mods make your car look more aggressive and sporty.. but either way if you like the rims dont let the outcome on here sway your decision away from them.. they are great rims..
Old 06-22-06, 10:24 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Seize
Yes, I know that...my friend has SP1's on his 240, so I know how they look like in person I'm just saying that the wheels on that silver GS that were posted look to be more like the Work Meister S1's (if you look closely you can see that the wheel has no rivets as opposed to the SP1, which does have the rivets)

Here's a few pics of Work Meister S1's...you guys can judge for yourself

I was confirming also...I noticed the difference too. The stepped lip is very similar, so I get a good Idea how a GS would look.

I'm still thinking Black SP1's on a Black GS w/ dark tint would look pretty cool.
Old 06-22-06, 11:45 AM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Default ...

Originally Posted by bmgs400
I'm still thinking Black SP1's on a Black GS w/ dark tint would look pretty cool.
I had some time to play with photoshop...here's the end result!

I say do it!!! That combo looks hot

Quick Reply: SSR Professor SP1's (in Black) on Black Onyx GS