GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Warning lights came on for more than one thing, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-06, 10:05 PM
whytry
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Warning lights came on for more than one thing, suggestions?

This has happened once before to me but then it went away by itself..... Now its back, as of today. I am driving down highway 50 near El Dorado Hills there is a minor traffic jam so traffic is moving slowly and all of the sudden I get these lights lighting up on the dash and there is only throttle response when the pedal is almost floored and the response is well delayed (3 seconds at least) and it feels like it running on only 4-6 cylinders...... Car drives fine except for this problem.... Got the car home, was about 5 minutes away, shut it off at home, let it sit for about 2 hours (what I did last time when it went away) and the lights are still on, but the car now drives fine.... Any suggestions?

Please?
Attached Thumbnails Warning lights came on for more than one thing, suggestions?-lex-error.jpg  
Old 06-24-06, 01:16 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Sound like a faulty or dirty MAF sensor. This happend to me when I installed me intake. The seal on the intake was pretty bad so air would leak around where the MAF sensor was. It would throw the readings off pretty bad. Car would bog down very slow. Like what you say. Floor it and it feels slower than a civic. Also, those 3 lights also lit up in my dash. I removed the intake and put the stock one back on and everything was ok again. I know you probably have the stock intake, but my example was just to show you what happens when the MAF sensor is not reading correctly. I'll try posting up a DIY on my website sometime for the MAF cleaning. I think there are a few guides here, just do a search.

Good luck!
Old 06-24-06, 03:45 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll bet you it's the throttle body position switch, I've replaced a couple at my dealership. The throttle does not register any movemoent except WOT. I foret if cycling the key helps for s little bit or if it was clearing the code. But either way it usually turned out to be the switch is faulty.
Old 06-24-06, 12:00 PM
whytry
Advanced

That sounds exactly what I am experiencing.... AS soon as your DIY is posted up let me know so I can take care of this!! Thanks!!!
Old 06-24-06, 02:48 PM
ksu1998
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

wdpower I bet that is it the TPS, it will toss you that code unhook your battery and clean the trottlle body, you can move the butterfly manually and clean inside of the trottle body I fiddled around with mine and the code cleared with no problem......you may be a different story, but it saved me $400+ and took only one hour.

Steps

1. unhook battery
2. disassemble intake...or take intake tube off of TB.(cant remember if I did the whole thing)
3. you can look into TB now
4. clean with cloth and longscrewdriver(ect) and spray cleaner
5. work the TB open and clean both sides of butterfly
6. reconnect the battery.
7. Hope your GS is like mine and is now ready for 50K miles.

D

Last edited by ksu1998; 06-24-06 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-24-06, 03:08 PM
ksu1998
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...1&page=1&pp=15
Old 06-24-06, 03:31 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey KSU. You didn't happen to take any pictures of what you had to take apart to get to the throttle body, did you? I just don't want to screw anything up.

e
Old 06-24-06, 04:15 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's the tps sensor. Costs about $80 bucks and Is easy to install as long as u have mechanical knowledge. I just replaced mine about 2 months ago. Same symptoms, Funny thing dealer told me I had to buy a whole new throtlebody assy( bout $1400 installed ). Once again, thank god for club lex
Old 06-24-06, 06:40 PM
SRK
Driver

The exact same thing happened to me a few months back. The code came up (1218 or something) as "replace ECM". It was not the throttle position sensor. The engine had gone into limp home mode, and the throttle is not responsive in that mode.
The code was cleared at the dealership, although the engine had begun to operate normally as I got there. It has not come back to date.
Apparently the early 98 GS400's had a recall on the ECM, but my car was outside the affected VIN range. Another mechanic I trust said that a voltage spike from the alternator would be enough to trigger a code like that, which then clears as the voltage becomes normal again.
Don't throw parts at it. I haven't.
Old 06-24-06, 11:33 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I got the same things today.....no idea whats going on...i just moved the car out of the garage....and when I drove it back tonight...i got these EXACT same signals.

Pete
Old 06-25-06, 05:46 AM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SRK
The exact same thing happened to me a few months back. The code came up (1218 or something) as "replace ECM". It was not the throttle position sensor. The engine had gone into limp home mode, and the throttle is not responsive in that mode.
The code was cleared at the dealership, although the engine had begun to operate normally as I got there. It has not come back to date.
Apparently the early 98 GS400's had a recall on the ECM, but my car was outside the affected VIN range. Another mechanic I trust said that a voltage spike from the alternator would be enough to trigger a code like that, which then clears as the voltage becomes normal again.
Don't throw parts at it. I haven't.
Your problem was not solved by clearing the code from the ecm. That will temporary solve the problem, as I have done the same thing. Car drove fine for about 2 months then the problem would come back like every other day. Something is triggering the code and 9 out of ten times it is the tps sensor. I searched in the many posts on this site, I am a mechanic and I went to some master mechanic's to try and figure this out before I put in just any part. The tps puts the car into limp mode and can correct itself temporarly just to come back at any given time. The recall you speak of is not the "ecm" it is in fact the "yaw rate sensor", it was the only re-call for the gs4 in 1998. Changing the tps is the cheapest and easiest thing to do, which is why I gave it a try. There are steps to take when changing out this part, so do a search and I'm sure u will find it. A voltage spike is possible but not likely. Our cars have fuses and fuseable links that will protect the componets in case of a surge.UPDATE: There is a ecm re-call for some gs400 models, but it only affects the downshifting of the tranny from cruising speeds.

Last edited by BLAZE; 07-01-06 at 01:50 PM.
Old 06-25-06, 01:09 PM
whytry
Advanced

Can I pick up the TPS sensor anywhere or dealer item only? I will look at taking care of this next week!!!
Old 06-25-06, 03:11 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

It is a dealer only item. Before u order it, I would stop by autozone for the free code check, It deff won't hurt any. I ordered my tps from carson toyota. I think it was $78 shipped.
Old 06-25-06, 09:14 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Fixed!!

OK...i just got mines to clear. Here's what I did......disconnect battery....then cleaned SRT air filter, cleaned MAF sensor, and finally cleaned the thottlebody flap. All were pretty dirty.

Ahhhhh...no more CE, VSC, and VSC OFF lights!!!

Took it for a test drive....still none....Im so relieved now.

Pete
Old 06-26-06, 06:40 AM
SloGS3
Pole Position

Originally Posted by PHML
OK...i just got mines to clear. Here's what I did......disconnect battery....then cleaned SRT air filter, cleaned MAF sensor, and finally cleaned the thottlebody flap. All were pretty dirty.

Ahhhhh...no more CE, VSC, and VSC OFF lights!!!

Took it for a test drive....still none....Im so relieved now.

Pete
Your lights could very well come back on! I have this happen to me every once in a blue moon, where im driving and all of a sudden the lights come on, there is hardly any throttle response. I just pull over, shut the car off for about 30 seconds, start it back up and drive off just fine. Now, the light still stay on after i start it back up, but the car drives fine, and the lights go off on their own after a few minutes. It come sand goes on mine, but one thing i noticed is that it comes on more often when its really hot/humid outside! Im not sure that replacing the sensor will solve the problem!

Quick Reply: Warning lights came on for more than one thing, suggestions?