GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Where can I wetsand/clean my headlights in LA?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 02:06 AM
suprropmp
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where can I wetsand/clean my headlights in LA?

First off let me say hi to everybody. I just picked up a black 1999 GS400. The headlights are looking a pretty yellow and the car has been driven to california from texas so I am sure there are plenty of little rock chips on there.

Does anybody know a place where I can go get them wet sanded and cleaned/polished? Or if anybody from CL does this on the side I would be more than happy to pay.
Old 06-27-06, 02:18 AM
ILOVEGIRLS
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

pm me...i can get you set up with someone but they are in irvine.
Old 06-27-06, 09:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

read the vendor classified forum. lexus-parts are selling a set of new headlight assembly for only 400 bucks. worth considering
Old 06-27-06, 09:51 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

agreed, getting some new housing may be better. some of those rock pits are hard to get out. not to mention that sometimes, the ozone will yellow out the plastic in a short period of time.

you can also call this a upgrade since you'll be getting the newer green tint headlights.
Old 06-27-06, 12:06 PM
DSM2GS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do ti in your driveway. Don't pay someone to do it, its not that hard just a little time consuming.
Took me about 1/2 hour per light.
Old 06-27-06, 01:25 PM
suprropmp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DSM2GS400
Do ti in your driveway. Don't pay someone to do it, its not that hard just a little time consuming.
Took me about 1/2 hour per light.

honestly I am not a very DIY person and I have no clue about wetsanding... it would be easier for me to just pay someone to do it
Old 06-27-06, 10:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by suprropmp
honestly I am not a very DIY person and I have no clue about wetsanding... it would be easier for me to just pay someone to do it
that's why i said just get new lights for best results
Old 06-28-06, 02:38 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

DIY....its soooo simple.

Go to Walmart....buy 2000 grit wet/sandpaper.....buy 3M Rubbing Compound....thats it....about $15 for everything.

Wet the headlights......soak 2000 grit wet/sandpaper for a minute or so....the start wet sanding the headlights (try a small spot first before going full force on the whole thing)....rinse off residue....then apply 3M Rubbing Compound to a cotton towel/rag....then start rubbing (elbow grease required)....now step back and take a look at it.

Saves you at least 2 (Benjamin) bills there.

Pete
Old 06-28-06, 11:30 AM
DSM2GS400
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its a really easy job, maybe it could turn you into a DIY'er!
You will be impressed with the results and the lights will look brand new.
Old 06-28-06, 11:33 AM
suprropmp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PHML
DIY....its soooo simple.

Go to Walmart....buy 2000 grit wet/sandpaper.....buy 3M Rubbing Compound....thats it....about $15 for everything.

Wet the headlights......soak 2000 grit wet/sandpaper for a minute or so....the start wet sanding the headlights (try a small spot first before going full force on the whole thing)....rinse off residue....then apply 3M Rubbing Compound to a cotton towel/rag....then start rubbing (elbow grease required)....now step back and take a look at it.

Saves you at least 2 (Benjamin) bills there.

Pete

maybe I will try it afterall... can I just use regular tap water to wet the headlights and soak the sandpaper? Also, I dont have to take the headlights off right?
Old 06-28-06, 11:45 AM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Its not an easy DIY if your headlights are pitted. Basically start of with 1000, 1500 grit sand paper ( buy the good stuff otherwise you will regeret it ) and once the lights are hazy in all places start with 2000grt. Now you need 3m rubbing compound, get the mild stuff. I suggest you go to homedepot and buy the 25$ buffer, its much easier. Now to finnish it of you will need a plastic polishing compound, I have mgquires but they no longer make it so shop around. A good wetsending/polishing job takes about 3-4 hours, for a good finnish and yes you do have to remove the headlights from your car, otherwise it will be a serious PITA. Stan.
Old 06-28-06, 12:54 PM
suprropmp
Driver School Candidate

I heard something about having to apply a layer of something with UV protection because the sanding takes it off?

If its easy enough to take the headlights out I will give this a try and take some pics for a step by step tutorial.
Old 06-28-06, 12:57 PM
suprropmp
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by vicestan
I suggest you go to homedepot and buy the 25$ buffer, its much easier.

You mean something to buff with or a buffing compound? Oh, thanks for all the advice guys
Old 06-28-06, 01:08 PM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard something about having to apply a layer of something with UV protection because the sanding takes it off?

If its easy enough to take the headlights out I will give this a try and take some pics for a step by step tutorial.

a simple application of wax with UV protection should be fine after the buff job.

everytime you wax your car, make sure the headlights get a coat of wax also.

perhaps a clear bra or xpel will act as a layer to prevent yellowing.
Old 06-28-06, 01:33 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Suppropmp, I meant the buffer, there really cheap and will come in handy when you want to wax your car, first time doing the sanding you will probably achive 85% like new finnish, with experiance you can get it to look about 95% new but its hard and takes alot of time, Also use a little water with the rubbing compound and polishing compound, that greatly increases the overall finnish. Stan.

Quick Reply: Where can I wetsand/clean my headlights in LA?