GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HDD Nav.... digging deeper...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-08, 08:20 AM
hksnlper
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok Guys... Here is what I got so far.... I created 2 partition on the drive. Both are FAT. One has the Navi Image on it, The other had a few vob files for DVD play back. The dvd is playing Flawless with out any problems. Unable to Play DIVX nor MP3. Also one more problem. When I launch the dvd files it plays fine but there is no way to stop the file unless I turn off the Navigation. I am also unable to toggle between the Navi image and VOB files. I might have to dig a bit deeper with this. In the mean while any comments or ideas any one wants to throw down my way I am all ears
Old 04-19-08, 02:06 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hksnlper
Ok Guys... Here is what I got so far.... I created 2 partition on the drive. Both are FAT. One has the Navi Image on it, The other had a few vob files for DVD play back. The dvd is playing Flawless with out any problems. Unable to Play DIVX nor MP3. Also one more problem. When I launch the dvd files it plays fine but there is no way to stop the file unless I turn off the Navigation. I am also unable to toggle between the Navi image and VOB files. I might have to dig a bit deeper with this. In the mean while any comments or ideas any one wants to throw down my way I am all ears
hey thanks for the update.

Just wondering if you were able to see the individual files that contain the NAV info, and if there are ways to manipulate the files to change the colors or the background of the whole GUI.

Last edited by GlobeCLK; 05-08-08 at 11:30 PM.
Old 04-21-08, 03:41 PM
bill_und
Driver School Candidate

Question NAV data files?

Hi All,

When you look at the HDD via a pc, can you see the NAV data files:

COVERAGE (folder)
IDX (folder)
ALLDATA.KWI
LOADING.KWI

The reason I ask is if I were to load an older LOADING.KWI file to enable the well known NAV hack, pull the fuse, and let the old NAV firmware load, would we see success?

Thanks,

Bill
Old 04-25-08, 12:00 AM
hksnlper
Pole Position

Update: I was able to play around with the Navi files but the only problem is that when I write them back to the HDD they do not get recognized by the Navi. Now if the original is loaded it takes it right away. Now for the DVD files. They are playing fine but I am still unable to forward or rewind through those files. The volume comes out from the Navi volume and I am unable to figure out a way to play around it. I will be taking the navi computer a part this weekend and play with it.
Old 04-25-08, 09:25 AM
bill_und
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up

Update: I was able to play around with the Navi files but the only problem is that when I write them back to the HDD they do not get recognized by the Navi. Now if the original is loaded it takes it right away. Now for the DVD files. They are playing fine but I am still unable to forward or rewind through those files. The volume comes out from the Navi volume and I am unable to figure out a way to play around it. I will be taking the navi computer a part this weekend and play with it.
hksnlper: Which NAV files did you play around with? I have a lot of experience with the TOY NAV system and may be able to help.

Thanks,

Bill
Old 05-20-08, 03:07 PM
vegasgs400
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think there is a setting for the navigation volume (up/down) in 1 of those screens. i have to look it up tonight.

For playing dvd movie, how u get that work? since u have 2 partitions in the hard drive, do you have to set the movie partition ACTIVE? vice versa for the navi?

Let us know any latest... THANK YOU for this great job!!!!
Old 05-20-08, 11:22 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

I was working with RTIS about a year ago on this.
I couldnt get any other laptop drive to work with the nav unit. Seems like the nav unit only reads 4000k drives. Let me know what drive model you're using.
I have the nav files backuped somewhere on my network if anyone wants a crack at the files. I couldnt find any software that would open these files to alter.
Old 05-20-08, 11:25 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vegasgs400
i think there is a setting for the navigation volume (up/down) in 1 of those screens. i have to look it up tonight.

For playing dvd movie, how u get that work? since u have 2 partitions in the hard drive, do you have to set the movie partition ACTIVE? vice versa for the navi?

True but the NAV sound comes out from only the driver side speaker.
Old 05-21-08, 11:13 AM
rudesgeiger
Driver School Candidate

I can take a look at them. I have several computers all with different operating systems which may read the drive differently.

jack
Old 07-29-08, 11:21 AM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rudesgeiger
I can take a look at them. I have several computers all with different operating systems which may read the drive differently.

jack

Found my backup files of the NAV HDD files. Below is a screenshot of the folders.
Also let us know which HD did you use. I tried using a few of my laptop drives but the lexus nav wouldnt read it.

Any updates on your end hksnlper?
If anyone wants a crack at editing the files, let me know.

Last edited by sputniknyc; 07-29-08 at 11:24 AM.
Old 07-29-08, 12:49 PM
aristo2369
Lead Lap

Smile Hd

Originally Posted by vegasgs400

Originally Posted by bill_und
hksnlper: Which NAV files did you play around with? I have a lot of experience with the TOY NAV system and may be able to help.

Thanks,

Bill
Originally Posted by sputniknyc
Found my backup files of the NAV HDD files. Below is a screenshot of the folders.
Also let us know which HD did you use. I tried using a few of my laptop drives but the lexus nav wouldnt read it.

Any updates on your end hksnlper?
If anyone wants a crack at editing the files, let me know.

it looks like you guys know what your doing, can you help a club member by finding/make me one, updated or non updated HD. i dont have a HD cartridge on my navigation so i cant use it please please help me i been looking for 8 months
Old 07-29-08, 01:21 PM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by aristo2369
it looks like you guys know what your doing, can you help a club member by finding/make me one, updated or non updated HD. i dont have a HD cartridge on my navigation so i cant use it please please help me i been looking for 8 months
so you have the nav system but missing the harddrive?
Old 07-31-08, 10:32 AM
aristo2369
Lead Lap

Post nav

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
so you have the nav system but missing the harddrive?
yeah, sucks
Old 08-05-08, 03:12 AM
hksnlper
Pole Position

Guys here is what I used Toshiba Laptop hard drive 4000k with a fresh Format. Only loaded with the vob files. Works like a charm but volume only comes out from Left speaker and its low. After that I kinda gave up. Ill see if I can play around with it any more but I might not get any time plus I am thinking about upgrading to a GS460 soon so I dont know but Ill keep every one posted.
Old 03-09-11, 03:13 AM
David M
Driver

It's odd that the hard drive is only 1.6 gig because the DVD based navi data is over 7 gig by itself.
I have my dvd-based black box out of the car right now as the dvd drive has failed utterly.
If you have pictures of your black box and how the hard drive connects, I'd love to see them!
Thanks,
David

Quick Reply: HDD Nav.... digging deeper...