GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

HDD Nav.... digging deeper...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-06, 10:13 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts
Default HDD Nav.... digging deeper...

Well, i got my NAV update today... Since i work for the dealer, it was easier for me to hold onto the old HD for an extra day or two, so i could take it come, and hook it up to my laptop and see whats on it... I was just curious how it was formatted and how i could edit or manipulate the data in any way. Well, it turns out, that the drive is a 1.6GB 2.5in laptop harddrive, i looked up the specs on it, and its a pretty slow drive, but being that its for a dedicated NAV system, i suppose it doesnt need to be fast. For those who know computers, i saw that the filesystem on the drive is FAT.. everything can be read, copied, etc in windows. Im curious to see if i can copy the files onto another harddrive, and see if it will still work in the drive. For legal reasons, i dont plan on copying this data with the intent on selling it in any way, shape, or form... But i was curious if i could speed up my NAV a bit, with a quicker harddrive.. since ive got a few spare drives laying around im going to try to copy the data onto another drive and see what happens.

For comparison sake, i checked out a navigation DVD... and everything is in a completely different format.. different file types, etc... so my idea of possibly using newer nav updates on the harddrive wont work Oh well.. at least now i know

I know the majority of you guys dont care... and some of you may have even done this yourself. Its all widely accessable info.. as all i really had to do was pull the HD out of my car and check it out... so for those concerned, theres nothin illegal goin on here
Old 06-27-06, 11:58 PM
audax
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always thought about this when I had my GS300 with HDD navigation. I always came to the conclusion that Lexus probably has a custom firmware loaded on the drive to prevent copying.

I never tried it though. Interested in the results...
Old 06-28-06, 07:18 AM
slickgt1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Thats interesting. I would actually like to see if these things can be sped up. I sometimes notice decent delays in the system. What is the speed of the drive in the lexus?
Old 06-29-06, 12:43 AM
audax
Pole Position

Also, if you say the drive is 1.6GB then it is unlikely that the Lexus system would have be designed to support anything over the 37GB limit that was previously encountered with IDE. The system may also be locked into the drive geometry for the factory hard drive and may not recognize anything else.
Old 06-29-06, 01:00 AM
sputniknyc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by audax
Also, if you say the drive is 1.6GB then it is unlikely that the Lexus system would have be designed to support anything over the 37GB limit that was previously encountered with IDE. The system may also be locked into the drive geometry for the factory hard drive and may not recognize anything else.

I would also be interested in this custom mod.
I do see all the acura people modified their wallpapers and everything else in their nav data. Please keep up updated on this and let me know if you need any help in hacking this.
Old 06-29-06, 01:00 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Well, the model number on the HD is Fujitsu M2724TAM, and when looked up, its a 1.6GB ATA-3 hard drive, with a 128k buffer, 4000rpm speed, 12ms seek time.. here is the link to the drive data from Fujutsu... http://www.fujitsu.com/downloads/HDD/m272t-spec.pdf#search='m2724tam%20fujitsu'

There is certainly room for improvement.. i just doubt a higher rpm drive with a bigger buffer would really help that much. but its worth a shot i guess...
Old 06-29-06, 01:04 AM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Originally Posted by sputniknyc
I would also be interested in this custom mod.
I do see all the acura people modified their wallpapers and everything else in their nav data. Please keep up updated on this and let me know if you need any help in hacking this.
i copied the old harddrive data onto my computer, so i can go through it... alot of the image files are .img files, and i havent been able to open them with IrfanView... im looking for another program that might help out.. im interested in doing the same thing... i wish i knew something about programming, id add extra features, lol... as of now, im pretty confident that i could copy the drive data to another drive and have it function properly.. i dont see any reason why it wouldnt.. its a FAT file system viewable in windows... the only thing i dont know is what is in the boot sector... but i could make an ISO copy of the drive and copy it that way.. so that doesnt pose a problem either..
Old 06-29-06, 05:59 AM
GWELEX
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RTCamaroSS
i copied the old harddrive data onto my computer, so i can go through it... alot of the image files are .img files, and i havent been able to open them with IrfanView... im looking for another program that might help out..
Go to www.gimp.org, this graphic interface will open just about anything for editing. Not a well documented program but after a while you can figure it out, plus it's FREE!
Old 06-29-06, 03:09 PM
audax
Pole Position

It's not likely that anything is in the boot sector since the hard drive would most likely only store data and images.
Old 04-10-08, 09:36 PM
hksnlper
Pole Position

Any updates on this guys. I am thinking about modifying the drive with custom wall papers and animation also just like to know if the image transfer feature worked.
Old 04-10-08, 09:46 PM
UncleRay
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an idea!

Create a virtual drive on the hard drive, and put the NAV DVD as a fake cd, and make your own images and w/e =]
Old 04-10-08, 10:07 PM
Gs430Boi
Lead Lap

i just wonderin if we use a bigger harddrive could it be used it to play movies or mp3
just wondering let me know the output of this
Old 04-10-08, 10:14 PM
hksnlper
Pole Position

I will attempt this tomorrow. Here is what I am doing. I will be transfering the image from my current Harddrive to a 250gb Hard drive. I will also create 3 custom partition one for the Navi Image the other 2 for DVD and MP3. FAT file system is perfect for VOB playback. I will try and implement some options where we can install DVD files and play Divx off the Hard drive. Lets see how it works. I have the whole weekend to work on the car since the family will be away. I will post the update by monday.
Old 04-10-08, 10:51 PM
chrispy

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Interesting. I hope you guys get it to work.
Old 04-12-08, 12:27 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

good luck hksnlper. please do share your info

Quick Reply: HDD Nav.... digging deeper...