GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Entire Instrument Panel is DEAD - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 01:40 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a lot for me to write, so I am going to try to organize it in some way:

1) When I tried to jump start it and made the instrument panel go dead:
I want to explain how I jump started it. I connected the +/- cables in the appropriate spots on the battery on the GS400 (discharged battery) and then connected the other end of the cables to the GS300 (booster battery). Both cars were off when I connected them. Then I started the GS300...waited for a minute, went over to my bro's GS400, tried to start it, and it did. I let it run maybe a couple of minutes, then unplugged the cables from the GS400 first, then the GS300.

2) According to all I read here, I had to reset the ECU by unplugging the negative terminal on the car's battery, but I had to first make sure that EVERY fuse was good, so:
I was going through all the fuses to make sure they were all good, I checked the engine compartment and the driver's compartment fuse boxes and everything was fine. I then went on to check the passenger side compartment and had to push the passenger seat back so I could get to it easily....but the seat wouldn't move....I thought the car was dead again, when I tried to restart it...indeed it was.

3) How come the car is dead again today?
I just jump started it yesterday and again today it is dead. I am sure the battery is new, and when my bro was here he didn't have any problems recently, not after he put in a new more powerful battery for his subs and all.

4) Tried to jump start the car again:
Anyway, so I stopped checking the fuses and tried to jump start the car again...I brought the GS300 close and this time read the manual to do it. I plugged up one end of the positive cable to the GS400's positive terminal on the battery (discharged battery) and the other end to the GS300's positive terminal on the battery, then I plugged up one end of the black negative cable to the GS300's negative terminal on the battery, and, according to the manual, the other end of the negative cable to an unpainted metal piece on the GS300. And according to the manual, this had to be done while the GS300 was on (when I first jump started the car, both cars were off when I plugged up the cables).

I went inside the GS300, pressed the pedal to make it go to 2000rpm for a few minutes (4 or 5min). Then I went over to the GS400 and tried to start it, but it didn't start at all, not even a crank or anything as it wasn't even trying. I opened the trunk on the GS400 (where the battery readout is installed, next to the subs) and it had a reading of 9.80. I went back in the GS300 and pressed the accelerator up to 2000rpm for a few more min, tried it again, and the car still wouldn't start. This time, the readout on the battery thing was 10.31. I kept the GS300 on for about 10 more min, but the readout didn't change, it didn't go higher than 10.40....so I gave up.

I was wondering why it wasn't starting when yesterday it started up so easily....I thought it could be because yesterday I connected it differently, positive to positive, negative to negative, in no particular order as to which car gets the plugs first and both cars were off when I plugged them. But this time I had followed the manual exactly, and I didn't want to plug it up like yesterday because yesterday I apparently burnt out the instrument panel so I just left it at that.

5) Now I am puzzled, like I said, I will still go ahead and make sure all the fuses are good and will reset the ECU and hopefully the instrument panel will come back on. But...why is the car dead again today, and why can I not even restart it any more??

I am just exhausted all over this....and all I had to do was take it for a spin so that it wouldn't just sit in the garage for two months while my parents and bro/sis are on vacation!!!

Please HELP !
Old 07-08-06, 02:11 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have heard of connecting to a unpainted surface that is a simulation of the ground. Usually I have seen this on Bmw's or Benz's because you dont see the battery only the positive and than you connect to the body surface. On the Gs you can just simply connect positive to positive and negative to negative. i would reset the ecu and check the fuses check the drivers side kick panel not the passengers. Dont stress over it and just concentrate on trying to get it working.
Old 07-08-06, 02:21 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

All the fuses on the driver's side and engine compartment are perfect.

Should I try to reset the ECU first by unplugging the negative terminal from the battery and leaving it like that for about an hour....and then try to jump start the car??

Or should I try to jump start the car first, then unplug the negative terminal to reset the ECU?
Old 07-08-06, 03:05 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

!0.3 volts to 10.4 volts indicates the battery has an open cell, one of it's six cells. It's defective, no way around it. It needs be replaced, as it now won't accept a 12 volt full charge.

Your proceedure was fine jump starting the autos. I would not continue jump starting the bad battery, as it may ruin the internal voltage regulator in the working GS300.

How did the battery go bad? They just do when fully discharged.
This was just waiting to eventually happen.... since you have "auto-switch on" amps in the sound system, one of several electronic systems on at all times, just discharging the battery.
As long as it's being driven, the battery maintained the charge. But when sitting for a period of time, the battery discharges over time on it's own.

If the battery is near new, and have a receipt, than prorate the replacement cost. If it's over three years, it's less expensive to just replace it....

I would not leave it with a bad battery over a period of time, take it to an auto parts store for a test and trade in for replacement.

> With a good battery, expect the voltage readings to be above 12.75 volts, increasing to over 14 volts when the engine is running and the alternator is charging a good battery.

A good idea would be to purchase a "Battery Tender - Plus"
Without a trickle charger, it will happen again if left without driving the vehicle.
http://batterytender.com/why_battery...78492b45723037

This is a computerized trickle charger referred to as a battery maintainer, switching on only when a low charge is needed. Then it switches off as not to overcharge and boil the battery.

This would have kept the battery charged, and not put you in this situation...!.

Last edited by Tammy; 07-08-06 at 03:17 PM.
Old 07-08-06, 03:19 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Ok, so that explains a lot of it.

So now I take the battery out, go get it replaced, plug it in when I get home, and since it will take me more than 45 min to go and come back, the ECU would be reset too so as soon as I put it in and try to start the car, not only should the car easily start back up but the instrument panel should also be working...right?

Do you think taking the battery out and leaving the car without a battery for a month or so would hurt the car in anyway? I might just want to do that and let my dad and bro handle it when the come back....I know the tires will get flat spots and the gas being in there for weeks may not be so great....what do you guys suggest?
Old 07-08-06, 03:53 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Right... a new battery should perform amazing feats !
(swap in the good battery, for your peace of mind.. Check for the expected voltages, see if the dash lamps come back)

Most all the computers for the electronic controls sense for 12 volts to start themselves.

What's done is done with the dead battery..

Expect you've lost some radio presets, but nothing to prevent it from starting. I would not expect any problems while the auto sits without a battery, at least not at this stage of your problem..

I wouldn't be concerned about the tires, flat spots are usually symptomatic of bias belted tires rather than steel belt radials. Pump them up to the maximum pressure on the tire side, make a note as to the increased tire pressures and tape it to the windshield.
The fuel system is sealed; leave the cap tight and fuel should be fine.
Old 07-08-06, 04:17 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Or you could just swap the gs300 battery with the gs400, just to see if the gs4 is working properly. If all is good, then get a new battery. I only suggest this route since you have bolth cars readily avalible and it won't cost u a dime. Good luck
Old 07-08-06, 05:46 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks guys!

I will probably swap the batteries first. My dad asked me to go ahead and buy my uncle's GS300 the other day (since my uncle wanted to trade it in for a 03 e320 and they weren't giving him a good price on the GS300)...so I don't have to give the GS300 back to my uncle anyway.

I really hope this works, I will probalby do it tomorrow night with my cuz. I will let you guys know what happens.
Old 07-08-06, 07:32 PM
kyle98GS
Driver

If it was time for the battery to die then there is nothing that you could of done to prevent it. However is this new stereo your brother had installed is creating a continuous drain on the battery then that will surely diminish the life of the battery.
If the stereo system is creating a drain then i would check to see if the remote on lead to the amp is hooked to a constant 12V ...or a switched 12 (which is what is should be). To check, look at the amp when the car is turned off and the key is out of the ignition (do this with your good battery installed). If the power light on the amp is illuminated, then the remote on is connected to a constant 12V and is draining the battery.

Just a thought.
Old 03-16-21, 12:29 PM
Damit
Driver School Candidate

Default Ok your Brother

Originally Posted by nanotech
Hello,

My bro has a gs400 and has gone on vacation with my parents. He told me to drive his car around once in a while. Well, last week I went to start his car and it didn't start, so I just left it at that thinking I will jump it later on.

Today, I brought my uncle's GS300 over (2000) and tried to jump start the my brother's GS400 with it. I had both the cars off, I plugged up the cables CORRECTLY on the GS300 first (the working car) and then I plugged it up to the GS400 (my bro's car that doesn't start). I then started the GS300, waited a minute, then went over to the GS400 and tried to start it, it sure did start...but the INSTRUMENT PANEL DIDN'T WORK!

I started to freak out, I waited a while and then I took it for a drive for about 5 min, still didn't come on...I then came back and left the car on for another 10 min, still no luck.

The worst part about all this is that when I told my dad that the GS400 is not starting he told me not to try to start it and ask for my uncles help (since I have never jump started a car before). And he told me specifically that if I do it incorrectly that I could mess up the car's computer which would cost $1000. I thought he was just being too careful, what's the big deal in jumping a car, right? I had seen people do it and I followed the directions so I just gave it a shot and now what my dad said is true....the instrument panel is dead, not just the lights...even when I drive it, the rpm doesn't go up, the speed is at 0 the whole time, the fuel, gear, etc...

The AC, radio, etc all work fine, just the entire instrument panel is dead. Please help!! I have searched all through the forums and found a couple of issues where the wire was loose but I don't know. Could it just be that it has been a while since I started it or is it really dead?

My bro left on June 14th, I started it on June 23rd or so once just to back it up so I can move something in the garage, it did vibrate a bit when I first started it that time (even when the car was in park), but I didn't think much of it...I just thought the engine was cold. Then last week, it didn't start, and now, I jump started it and it works, but the instrument panel is dead. Please help!
is going to kill you. Lol just kidding. Ok get out the car close everything turn lights off chill 5 min then take key for push lock wait 30sec take key out the fob then without opening door.turn key left,right 3,4 times don't open door after for 5min then put key back in fob now with fob in hand opendoor with hand at the same time holding fob in the same hand you use to open car. Get in close door hold fob up to push button for 15 min. This will reset all the electronic **** the car comes with then you will hear ever thing click pop squeak and feel Steering weel move, then start the car. B4 brother gets back☠
Old 03-19-21, 05:37 AM
Bykfixer
Driver

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

You're an awesome little brother. My brother would have probably put cigarette burns on the seat, backed into a parked car and left it with no gas in the tank and said "who me, I never touched the car"……

I've had brand new batteries fail within hours on more than one occasion. Sometimes a few days or weeks. They come with warranties for that reason.

Just come clean with your family and they'll hopefully appreciate your efforts. If not I have a slot open for a brother.
Old 03-22-21, 02:23 AM
Tuanville
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Damit
is going to kill you. Lol just kidding. Ok get out the car close everything turn lights off chill 5 min then take key for push lock wait 30sec take key out the fob then without opening door.turn key left,right 3,4 times don't open door after for 5min then put key back in fob now with fob in hand opendoor with hand at the same time holding fob in the same hand you use to open car. Get in close door hold fob up to push button for 15 min. This will reset all the electronic **** the car comes with then you will hear ever thing click pop squeak and feel Steering weel move, then start the car. B4 brother gets back☠

Bro..... This thread is back in 2006.... Read the date. If you read the post he said the car was at 12.something when it's on and 11.something off. Anyone with basic mechanical knowledge knows a good battery should be 12.8+ off, and running around 13.something to 14 when it's on.
Old 07-21-23, 06:22 PM
Jcisaac69
1st Gear

Originally Posted by chuckb
I've heard of this happening before.
once the battery is charged again, reset the ecu by disconnecting the neg cable for about 45 minutes.
Thank you just had the same problem my battery went dead i charged it up but my instrument panel was black no display at all i reset the ECU by disconnecting the negative battery cable and my display came back perfectly. thank you again