GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Replaced windshield -- roof creased (NEED OPINIONS -- PLEASE HELP)

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-06, 02:30 PM
exvelocity
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm not gonna argue, the windshield does serve as a guide for the airbag when it deploys and to keep you flying trough the opening in rollover or front end collision, but by no means it gives so much support that it keeps the creases from forming on the roof

most likely you didn't notice the crease after he installed new glass, did his tool look like this:

Old 07-08-06, 03:16 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by exvelocity
i'm not gonna argue, the windshield does serve as a guide for the airbag when it deploys and to keep you flying trough the opening in rollover or front end collision, but by no means it gives so much support that it keeps the creases from forming on the roof

most likely you didn't notice the crease after he installed new glass, did his tool look like this:

Yep, that's the thing he used (minus the cannister). It basically looked like a meat hook with a handle.
Old 07-08-06, 05:35 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

In no way can you damage the roof structure from removing the glass with that tool. I know it takes a lot of force to cut through the urethane which bonds the glass to the car, but the car's structural design won't give to this force. I have installed many windshields in my past(like at least 100), and I can say I've never come across this. I do believe you when u say the damage wasn't there before. It is possible that the og glass was holding pressure (for whatever reason that I'm not going to get into) and upon removal, the stress was strong enough to cause these creases(after all you said they were ever so slight). Either way the insurance will cover the damage, so I won't worry to much. Good luck

Last edited by BLAZE; 07-08-06 at 05:42 PM.
Old 07-10-06, 02:16 PM
purebliss
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blaise
In no way can you damage the roof structure from removing the glass with that tool. I know it takes a lot of force to cut through the urethane which bonds the glass to the car, but the car's structural design won't give to this force. I have installed many windshields in my past(like at least 100), and I can say I've never come across this. I do believe you when u say the damage wasn't there before. It is possible that the og glass was holding pressure (for whatever reason that I'm not going to get into) and upon removal, the stress was strong enough to cause these creases(after all you said they were ever so slight). Either way the insurance will cover the damage, so I won't worry to much. Good luck
I second what your saying. I would def think it's something that happened in the past and by removing the glass the pressure was released. I work at a dealership and spoke with our glass guy who has been doing it for over 15 years and he said he has never heard of it. He said it had to be something prior such as a minor accident or something. He said even if you drove the car with no windsheild in it notting would happen to the roof line.
Old 07-10-06, 09:44 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Thanks guys. I appreciate everyone's opinions. I don't know why this didn't occur to me before. I was talking through the story with my brother-in-law over the weekend. We went outside and I was showing him the crease and explaining the process of how the old windshield was removed and the new one was put in. I can't believe I didn't think of this until now. As the windshield guy was cutting the old windshield out (with the tool pictured above that looks like a meat hook with handlebars), he got stuck along the top of the windshield. I mean, the thing wouldn't budge. He exerted some extra force and then all of a sudden whatever was holding the tool stuck in place gave way and there was this release (in fact, he lost his balance momentarily, stumbled, and then regained his balance). And, the point where the tool got stuck was a little to the passenger side of the center line, pretty much right where the crease formed.

Is it possible that this caused the crease?
Old 07-11-06, 09:02 AM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

yea of couse its possible that he could've done it. But than how do you explain the other crease?
Old 07-11-06, 09:13 AM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Spyder78
yea of couse its possible that he could've done it. But than how do you explain the other crease?
The only way to explain the other crease is that it was there at the same time and no one noticed it. It is definitely more faint than the crease on the front part of the roof (which, like I said, is faint to begin with).
Old 07-12-06, 06:47 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what's the latest e?
Old 07-12-06, 06:53 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Nothing's new Chuck. The insurance company is still processing the claim. I should hear something sometime next week.
Old 07-13-06, 08:36 PM
exvelocity
Pole Position

as i said before, most likely you missed the fresh creases after the install, or they might have been there, but my glass guy, is a good friend of mine works for Safelite and does all my glass at the shop, he uses this tool that looks like a saws-all with a wide paddle looking blade,and never messed any of my customer's or my own cars
Old 07-16-06, 12:44 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

The curse does end at some point, right? It hasn't even been 2 months with the new windshield.
Attached Thumbnails Replaced windshield -- roof creased (NEED OPINIONS -- PLEASE HELP)-dscn6172-resized-.jpg  

Last edited by e-man; 07-16-06 at 01:12 PM.
Old 07-16-06, 12:44 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Check out my mom's LS430. This one happened last night on I294 (where both of mine happened):
Attached Thumbnails Replaced windshield -- roof creased (NEED OPINIONS -- PLEASE HELP)-dscn6167-resized-.jpg  
Old 07-16-06, 01:05 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that's a nasty one e. the one on the corner of yours is not too bad.
Old 07-16-06, 01:10 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chuckb
that's a nasty one e. the one on the corner of yours is not too bad.
My mom said it sounded like someone shot a gun at the windshield (not that she would know what that sounds like). I'm pretty sure if she doesn't take care of that in the next day or two, it will spread. I think mine will be okay for a while (although they're coming out to my office on Monday to fix it anyway).