GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

car accident tonight

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-06, 01:13 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

OUCH!!! Looks like you hit a truck. Glad you're OK.

Maybe time to check them brakes...huh?
Old 07-13-06, 05:53 AM
LEXUS_KID
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry about your loss
Old 07-13-06, 06:28 AM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know a good body shop in northern VA?
Does boyshop fix mechanical stuff like radiator?
Old 07-13-06, 06:30 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tonysofly
idiot drivers. you can't live with them, and you can't run them off the road. (legally)

bent radiator support, headlights, hood, grill, bumper, repaint/clear. i don't know about virginia, but that's about $2000-$2500 here in texas. Just a guideline to what you might be lookin to pay.
looks more like 5k to me.

Old 07-13-06, 08:07 AM
Jonathan o
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gs4rocks
Does anyone know a good body shop in northern VA?
Does boyshop fix mechanical stuff like radiator?
A good body shop will take care of everything for you. Most body shpos have mechanic and aligment techs nowdays.
Old 07-13-06, 09:09 AM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

That's good to know.
The adjuster came out and the estimate came out to $5330.
I told the guy that I don't want any aftermarket part.
He found reconditioned oem bumper and hood which I don't really mind.
But he also listed aftermarket A/C condenser and reconditioned headlamp assembly.
Headlamps even reconditioned are $1400!!
Is this reasonable for insurance company to use mostly reconditioned parts?
How about aftermarket A/C condenser?
Thanks for all your guys' responses.
Old 07-13-06, 09:46 AM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry you ended up involved in that fender bender. I didn't like the fact that the officer gave you a ticket.
Old 07-13-06, 09:56 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

That was an accident, not a fender bender, IMO.

Glad you're OK though. Car will be too.

Leave more space in the front when driving though....especially in the rain, especially in traffic. I leave so much space in the front in heavy traffic that the people behind me get mad because I'm allowing people to cut in. But I don't care. One person slams on their brakes, and if just ONE person's not paying attention (like the tailgating guy BEHIND you), an accident happens. I see it all the time in my area.

And I figure, once the traffic clears, I can always make the time up then.
Old 07-13-06, 10:05 AM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

Originally Posted by KevinGS
That was an accident, not a fender bender, IMO.

Glad you're OK though. Car will be too.

Leave more space in the front when driving though....especially in the rain, especially in traffic. I leave so much space in the front in heavy traffic that the people behind me get mad because I'm allowing people to cut in. But I don't care. One person slams on their brakes, and if just ONE person's not paying attention (like the tailgating guy BEHIND you), an accident happens. I see it all the time in my area.
That's exactly the problem. You know how the traffic is around here in Washingtom metro.
If you leave too much space in the front, that will put you in more dangerous situation in many cases. The car behind you will tailgate and other cars will cut-in in front of you leaving not much space again. Like I said, if this accident has anything to do with my driving habbit, I should have at least another accident in 20 yrs of driving in this area.
Old 07-13-06, 10:07 AM
mrkenji
Lexus Champion

sorry to hear about your accident however it could have been much worse.. im glad to hear that your ok.. from the pictures it doesnt look like there is any damage to the fenders which is a good thing.. that is a quite hefty bill you are looking at there.. if you dont mind doing some footwork of your own you can find some of these parts for your car for a considerable amount cheaper and then you could pocket some of those funds or something like that. you can get a used set of headlights w/ hid for like $400 or so and then you would be saving atleast $1000 from the refurbished ones they are trying to sell your for $1400. just a thought good luck with all of that
Old 07-13-06, 10:08 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Atleast your ok though.
Old 07-13-06, 10:18 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

That's exactly the problem. You know how the traffic is around here in Washingtom metro.
If you leave too much space in the front, that will put you in more dangerous situation in many cases. The car behind you will tailgate and other cars will cut-in in front of you leaving not much space again. Like I said, if this accident has anything to do with my driving habbit, I should have at least another accident in 20 yrs of driving in this area.
Sh@#! happens for sure. But if you rear end someone, there's always something you could have done to avoid it....no matter what idiotic move the person did in front of you.

Certainly, in the DC area, people will move into any empty space in traffic. So it encourages people to ride real close on each other's bumpers, just to keep that from happening. But I simply won't do it. Because even if I stop in time, the person behind me may be distracted and ram into my rear bumper.

In the end, it's not worth it, man. Trust me. You may save a few minutes off your drive, but it's not worth the stress and increased risk of an accident. So many idiot drivers out there, as you already know.
Old 07-13-06, 10:23 AM
StasGS4
Driver

That's good to know.
The adjuster came out and the estimate came out to $5330.
I told the guy that I don't want any aftermarket part.
He found reconditioned oem bumper and hood which I don't really mind.
But he also listed aftermarket A/C condenser and reconditioned headlamp assembly.
Headlamps even reconditioned are $1400!!
Is this reasonable for insurance company to use mostly reconditioned parts?
How about aftermarket A/C condenser?
Thanks for all your guys' responses.
Just a suggestion: Try to find a body shop (maybe through friends or networking) that will fix your car using your parts and see if the insurance company can just give you a check for all repairs. This way, you can buy many parts through clublexus classifieds (like group buys and such) and save some money that way. I know when I had my fender-bender this is what I did and saved myself the $500 deductible.

PS Currently there is a special through lexus-parts on headlights - $440 for a pair.
Old 07-13-06, 11:01 AM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

Originally Posted by StasGS4

PS Currently there is a special through lexus-parts on headlights - $440 for a pair.
Thanks for the info. The insurance company is writing me a check. I can tell the body shop I'm getting the head lights. I hope they shouldn't have problem with OEM part purchased from a Lexus dealer.
Old 07-13-06, 02:36 PM
BLAZE
Lexus Test Driver

The insurance company sends you the check for whatever price that was agreed on between them and the bodyshop. As long as parts weren't ordered, and you didn't sign any authorization of repair, you can bargain in anything you want. The bodyshop want's your business and they should be willing to work with you. Just be carefull with the "strong-arm" tactics. Remember you have the check., they need to make you happy. You are in control , don't let them make u feel any different. Their is so much more I can add but I hate typing for .... If you need any help pm me. P.S. I've been in the autobody industry for a very long time. Just as long as you didn't sign anything you will be o.k.

Quick Reply: car accident tonight