GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

car accident tonight

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-06, 05:32 PM
GS4
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ......

Hey sorry to see your gs in that shape. Atleast if you find all the parts yourself you can pocket some of the cash and put it towards a nice mod. Just wondering but when you hit the brakes did they eventually catch. I may have had the same issue with my brakes. A while ago it was raining and I slammed on the brakes at about 15 mph and it felt as if the brakes didn't engage, no abs nothing for about a second. This only happens once in a while at around 15-20 mph, never at higher speeds. Lexus has looked at the brakes twice and cant find anything wrong. Let me know if you find an issue with the brakes.

-GS4
Old 07-13-06, 06:30 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS4
Hey sorry to see your gs in that shape. Atleast if you find all the parts yourself you can pocket some of the cash and put it towards a nice mod. Just wondering but when you hit the brakes did they eventually catch. I may have had the same issue with my brakes. A while ago it was raining and I slammed on the brakes at about 15 mph and it felt as if the brakes didn't engage, no abs nothing for about a second. This only happens once in a while at around 15-20 mph, never at higher speeds. Lexus has looked at the brakes twice and cant find anything wrong. Let me know if you find an issue with the brakes.

-GS4
No I never felt the ABS engage. At the time of impact I was probably traveling 15-20 mph.
I know my ABS worked previously. Last time when I had 2005 RX330 loaner, I felt the ABS on that car was alot better.

For the parts, I found the headlamps sub-assembly for $440. Insurance estimated about $2000 for reconditioned oem full assembly. I told the shop and insurance guy that I'll buy brand new headlamp on my own and keep $2000. They were ok with that, but I didn't know at the time that sub-assembly does not include bulb, ballast, and harness. The thing is that my headlamps work just fine. It's only the casing that's all scrached up. It sounded like the body shop and the insurance guy don't know there are 2 kinds of assembly available. I'm debating if I should play dumb and give them the sub-assembly or tell them they need to transfer the ballast and etc. from the old one.
Old 07-13-06, 07:49 PM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Body Shops in NOVA

Who's your insurance company ?

Hands down teh BEST body shop in the area is Wagon Worx they have 2 locations Rte 1 across the street from Potomac Yards. They are good but they charge top dollar, if you look in their lot you see that they do mainly high dollar german cars Porsche , MB and BMW .....

If you want a shop that will work with you (your own parts etc.) Ray's Autobody in Vienna is a good shop. They have a GREAT painter there. You want to deal with an estimator named Alex as he is more apt to 'make a deal" with you. The older white guy will charge you strictly by the book labor rates/charges and will try to bend you over ..... trust me you want to deal with Alex.
Old 07-13-06, 08:37 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That sucks man, but maybe this will make it a little better, I have a drivers side Hid housing for sale for $75 shipped, I'm in Md so if you pick it up i can break you off a little cheaper, either way, maybe it can save you a little cash. I also have a pair of non-hid housings for $125 shipped.
Old 07-14-06, 06:58 PM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

Hey, someone out there with my luck as well. Imagine this: Driving home frustrated that your lil bro's bday cake isnt ready yet, just washed your car the day before and ITS DRIZZLING! Well im behind a cargo van which is behind some volvo station wagon. I glance to my left and notice a friend of mine walking down the street, Jeff. I did a double take because i just realized that Jeff has been dead for at least 3-4 years and was pulled out of my daze by the treacherous music that screaching tires make. The volvo decided to come to a halting stop because the light was turning yellow which made the van slam the brakes and slide which made me slam as well but slid due to the poor traction of my tires. Thats how my car ended up. Took care of it outside of insurance (my cousin works in a body shop) and repainted my rear bumper from all the scratches, fixed a dent that was left by some hater and fized the hood to the best of his abilities. All came out well except the hood. Im going to need a new hood, hood-latch and probably a new radiator-holding-piece. Good luck with the fix. Boy it sucks.
Old 07-14-06, 07:55 PM
VipDout
19x11.5 -51

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OMG ! another accident .... Jeez people on the raod that do that really **** me off ! esp.. when i see them do that on a normal day ? i know its worse in the rain

Man sorry to see you baby like that bro ....Just look at this in a good way ... New hood ,new paint and new kit ?

Always look to the brighter side if possible

I know you'll have this one looking perfect soon
Old 07-14-06, 08:01 PM
vicestan
Lead Lap

Yours looks alot better then mine . Your car should be back to normal with in a week, Stan.
Old 07-14-06, 11:48 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gs4rocks
The lesson from today is never drive behind a moron.
I'll be sure to never drive behind you then.

YOU ARE AT FAULT!!!!! You rear ended someone. You need to keep an adequate following distance for driving conditions.

Doesn't matter why the person in front slowed. Maybe they were old? Maybe they were lost? Maybe they were concerned about running red lights? Maybe they saw a dog that looked like it was going to dart into traffic?

Point is, don't blame someone elses driving when you're obviously not driving very well yourself.

It is almost impossible to not get a ticket for rear ending someone. And the fact that you slammed the middle car into the front car says just how close you were to the second car. Anti-lock brakes can't overcome bad driving.
Old 07-15-06, 12:23 AM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

Originally Posted by AZ-GS300
I'll be sure to never drive behind you then.

YOU ARE AT FAULT!!!!! You rear ended someone. You need to keep an adequate following distance for driving conditions.

Doesn't matter why the person in front slowed. Maybe they were old? Maybe they were lost? Maybe they were concerned about running red lights? Maybe they saw a dog that looked like it was going to dart into traffic?

Point is, don't blame someone elses driving when you're obviously not driving very well yourself.

It is almost impossible to not get a ticket for rear ending someone. And the fact that you slammed the middle car into the front car says just how close you were to the second car. Anti-lock brakes can't overcome bad driving.
There are always smart axx like you who think they know everything. I already said I know I'm at fault legally, but what that guy did was just plain stupid.
You really have no idea what the f--- you are talking about. The fact that I slammed the middle car into the front car says how close the middle car was from the first car (about 2 feet). What's that got to do with the distance between my car and the middle car? The guy in the middle car told me he was barely able to stop. The guy in the first car is 35, lives 2 blocks away from the accident, he started braking before yellow and there was no dog. He had no cars at least 200 feet in front of him.

What the hell do you know about driving? I drove close to half million miles in cities and this is the first accident. This is on a 55mph zone on wet load after rain stopped, traffic all moving around 55-60 mph. You don't just slam on the brake so you can barely stop at the signal light. That's called bad judgement, and endangering other drivers.

BTW, you should be able to drive behind anyone anytime if you are so good at driving, keeping good distance.

Last edited by gs4rocks; 07-15-06 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-15-06, 03:20 AM
DzaztrBUSE
Lexus Test Driver

I dont know about the areas where you guys live in but Im in Chicago and in a city of 3 million almost no one drives 3 seconds behind. I understand that GS4rocks is at fault because he was the one that did the hitting but theres always exceptions to the rule. Someone cuts you off and brakes hard, guess what: Youre at fault. Its happened my Mother who drives very very slow and STILL was at fault. Sorry it happened, keep your distance so this doesnt happen again and good thing youre ok. I bet we wouldn't be writing this had GS4rocks been badly hurt. Good luck again.
Old 07-15-06, 07:52 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

GS4 I wouldn't even bother to argue with that guy.. Look he's from Arizona!!!!!! Living here on the east coast is nothing like driving out there. (before this guy tries to attack me,,yes I have been to AZ,, drive through there frequently,, and do so in a tractor trailer <the ultimate PITA traffic stopper) Unfortunately, extreme east/west coast driving can really be hazardous. Just glad that you're ok and like evenyone has said before, make sure you leave that space. Remember the space in front of you is yours to mind and control, the space behind you belongs to someone else.

Last edited by trukn1; 07-15-06 at 07:59 AM.
Old 07-15-06, 08:46 AM
LexFather

THat sucks but the GS is a strong car
Old 07-15-06, 09:08 AM
Xeeeeeem
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by gs4rocks
This happened earlier today right after heavy thunderstorm with pouring rain.
It was a wide 3 lane with speed limit of 55.
There is a traffic light where speed limit changes to 45.
It was pretty good traffic and everyone was driving around 60mpb.
This moron 2 cars ahead of me hit the brake about 200 feet away from the traffic light.
I still had a good distance between my car and the car in front of me.
But when that moron slowed down suddenly, the light changed to yellow at the next second.
He decided to slam on the brake on the wet load. The guy in front of me managed to stop a couple feet away from him.

I slam on the brake too, but the tire lost tracktion completely. I didn't even feel anti-lock engaging. I hit the car probably at the speed of 20 mph, and the car in front of me hit that moron's car also. The other 2 cars have somewhat minor damage just to bumpers, and see what happened to my car.

The worst part is that this was almost unavoidable and the police still gave me a ticket.
The lesson from today is never drive behind a moron.

Picture 1
Hey, i had an extremely similar if not the same circumstances in my accident. I was drivin 40 in sprinkling rain and a moron 1 car ahead of me slammed on his brakes cuz he wasn't looking up and when he did, a car was there not going as fast as him causing the guy behind him to slam on his brakes. The middle guy hit the first guy cutting off my stopping distance and i slammed right into him. It was a 96 accord. Accord vs New ford taurus.....he got the best of me. Well, the Taurus had scratches on his bumper, my car was totalled. 2 different liquids leaked out, bumper, radiator.....simplest way i could put it is my hole front end went under his car.

Something that really pisses me off is that this accident was completely unavoidable for me and i was put at 30% fault. Thats BS!!! I kept my distance!

Sorry to hear about your loss, hope you can figure it out! Good luck
Old 07-15-06, 03:25 PM
nobody
Rookie

ouch, glad you are okay though
Old 07-15-06, 05:51 PM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

Thanks for everyone's response. This was just a little bit more than a fender bender.
The other cars only have minor damange to bumpers.
One thing that is interesting is that my car is lowered with l-tuned and that's what made front of me car go under the other cars rear bumper.
I don't know if this was good thing or bad thing compared to my front bumper having impact at the same height with the other car.
I guess I have to be extra careful with SUVs in front of me.

Estimate came out $5000 plus, but that's mostly because of the headlamp parts at around $2000. I alrady ordered a set for $440 and saving $1500 in my pocket. Headlamps had some scraches and no other damage.
Also, my headlamps and front bumper was not in good shape from all that stone chips. I'm expecting it to look better once all repaired.

Quick Reply: car accident tonight