GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

wiring SPECIFIC to 1998 GS400 rear view mirror RE radar..

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-06, 05:51 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default wiring SPECIFIC to 1998 GS400 rear view mirror RE radar..

mods, i know there are a few very decent threads about hardwiring the radars.. but please dont delete or move this thread to another forum because its very GS specific.... there were color codes for IS's in the IS forum, etc. but i couldnt find exact wire colors for the GS400.. before i get into my wiring in my gs4 i would like to know EXACTLY which power wire to tap into up there in the mirror wiring because im a complete moron when it comes to electrical stuff like that.. proper ground wire if anyone knows which one and which COLOR BOTH are would be SICK. i just picked up a new passport 8500 x50 and id like to start using it asap..

oh and sorry i havent been more specific yet to those who arent on the same page as me yet... im hardwiring my radar and would like to use the wiring found in the harness in the mirror assembly at the top of the front window/headliner.. so the colors of of the power wire that does NOT stay on with key off and a ground wire color would be AWESOME.. THANK YOU in advance.

mike

Last edited by upstateGS4; 07-13-06 at 06:25 AM.
Old 07-13-06, 06:36 AM
SloGS3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Exactly how do you plan on hard wiring that, are gonna splice up the cord provided or do you have the hardwire kit from passport. I got a 8500, amd i bought the hardwire kit from passports website, it was $15 shipped, and very easy to hook up. I just found a red wire under the dash, dont know which one, connected the clip that came with the kit to that wire, and attached the ground on the first piece of metal i saw around. Works like a charm, cant see any wires on the dash, and most important, no chopped wires!
Old 07-13-06, 07:00 AM
GSoup
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

which mirror are you talking about? Let me know..i should have the wiring diagrams for it.
Old 07-13-06, 07:24 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mike,

I can get you the wiring diagram if you'd like. What year are we looking at?

-Bill
Old 07-13-06, 07:29 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Here you are...

EDIT: I may have spoke too soon, I didn't realize you wanted unswitch power. I'll find it for you, you may have to use something for th power roof

Last edited by Bill_GS3; 07-13-06 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-13-06, 07:37 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

...ok, this is it, you'll want to double check, but I believe the Blue/Orange wire is constant power.

-Bill
Attached Thumbnails wiring SPECIFIC to 1998 GS400 rear view mirror RE radar..-sunroof.gif  
Old 07-13-06, 07:47 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSoup
which mirror are you talking about? Let me know..i should have the wiring diagrams for it.

the rear view.. after looking at a few hardwire radar posts from the past ive seen that people have successfully tapped into power in the wiring for the rear view mirror (not side views) so they would not have to run wires up the a pillars or under the dash or anything.. .to answer the other question.. i have the hardwire kit from my local installers shop. it works with the 8500 its just the phone wire kit with the postiive and negative wires at the end of it.. its not "passport" brand but its the same exact thing they use for all the phone jack style detectors... so like i was saying im looking for the power wire that will not have power when the car is off... so i dont have to turn the radar detector on and off it will just come on and off when i start or turn off the car... wd you mentioned the blue orange... is that in the wiring behind the mirror under that little cover or is this the wiring that you see when you pop off the homelink setup near the sunroof switches, etc? and i think you said thats constant on? is there one like im looking for that will kill power with key off up there?..... btw its a 1998 gs400 thanks again guys its a big help... i know i can just hook up down at the driver side footwell with all the fuses and everything but id rather not run wires if i can hook it up pretty much right where ill have it mounted anyway....

just to clarify... again, i believe the wires im looking for are right at the mirror where it attaches to the window.. i know people have also run them through the sunroof wiring and i could do that too i just need the power wire that will turn off with key off regardless which spot it is up there...

THANKS again guys as usual youre extremely helpful.
Old 07-13-06, 07:53 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

PS to mod: thanks for letting this stay put in the GS forum i knew people in here would have better and faster access to wiring diagrams specifically for the gs4. not as much traffic from these guys in the electronics section..
Old 07-13-06, 08:01 AM
Tranman

You could've just used a multimeter....pretty easy
Old 07-13-06, 01:17 PM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Tranman
You could've just used a multimeter....pretty easy

awesome, i dont have one so why not ask here because someone will already know.
Old 07-13-06, 05:40 PM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Damn it, I got confused. You want a power wire that DOES turn off with the car? I woun't be back to work till Tuesday, I'll post the diagram then for you. I can't access Lexus from home, only through the dealers gateway

-Bill
Old 07-13-06, 08:40 PM
cHiTwNGS43
Lexus Test Driver

I think I read on radarbusters.com that you want to mount the radar as close to the dash as possible b/c the popo aims at your front plate...i did the hard wire kit for my X50...worked great
Old 07-13-06, 10:06 PM
GS3Tek

Received 165 Likes on 126 Posts

Mike if you want another constant power, your front vanity mirror has constant power.
There's a clip cover at the arm where it swivels, carefully use a flat head screw driver and pry it off.
Then you remove 2 philips head screws.
The wires power the light when you lift up the lid.
Basic red (+) and (-).
I found this out when i switched an rx visor into the gs.
Old 07-14-06, 09:04 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

awesome thanks gs3- i might do that if i mount it down low like everyones suggesting then just run the wire down the pillar right from there.. otherwise if i put it in the other spot i might wait to see what wd says about the power supply that will be off with key off at the rear view mirror spot... i read tons of the other posts about radar detectors and where to put them i know its better to be lower but at the same time if its all the way at the bottom of my window on my dash, my seats and my big *** will block the rear receiver from picking up signals.
Old 07-14-06, 10:55 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

From what I've been told you want your radar detecotor towards the top, the first part visable whne coming over a rise. I think Laser is the one that needs your plate. Don't quote me on that though.

-Bill

Quick Reply: wiring SPECIFIC to 1998 GS400 rear view mirror RE radar..