GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Red GS400 *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-06, 09:38 AM
KevinGS
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by onihc
The red paint looks hot on a 2GS. Red headlights are not.

Just because it's a show car doesn't make it a Honda. Most people on this board don't understand what show cars are. Show cars need to be wild to attract attention and to show case aftermarket parts.

I would never mod my car like this GS for personal use, but if I attended shows, I would make my car extremely wild.

Would you guys consider Alpine's vehicles extreme "Hondas"?
Yep, yep... you old fogies here in CL. LOL

Show car and road cars are different. Show cars are meant to be eye-catchingly gawdy for the most part. They are built to attract maximum attention.

Let's face it, we're Lexus owners....we're modding Lexuses. That means we're ALREADY on the conservative side for the most part when it comes to our taste in cars. So show cars will look gawdy to many of us. But those cars aren't meant for us.
Old 07-13-06, 10:14 AM
Lexbox
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Not my cup of joe either, props for trying though.
Old 07-13-06, 11:32 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Good to see he's still adding stuff to that car. I too wouldn't do some of the stuff he's done, but that GS is most certainly a purpose-built over-the-top showcar and I can appreciate the work that's gone into it. I'm glad he took the approach on using some quality kit components / wheels / brakes, etc when building and not knockoff stuff.

The seats are odd - I went back and looked at my pics of the last (and only) time I've seen this GS at Nopi 2004. Some pics of the car back then here, you can see had had two tone seats.

http://www.somniplex.com/gallery/Nop...ls2004?page=11
Old 07-13-06, 11:38 AM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the look, but I can tell the older crowd doesnt.
Old 07-13-06, 11:48 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by Stage3
I like the look, but I can tell the older crowd doesnt.
Did I hate? I'm now over 40.... I guess that puts me in the 'older crowd'. Don't lump.

It's all personal preference regardless and folks with the creaks in their joints and reading glasses have opinions that count as much as yours. Let's keep the button on hold please and respect other member's opinions. We're a community with different tastes, you can't possible expect everyone to be homogeneous.
Old 07-13-06, 12:00 PM
TactiCOOL
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Good to see he's still adding stuff to that car. I too wouldn't do some of the stuff he's done, but that GS is most certainly a purpose-built over-the-top showcar and I can appreciate the work that's gone into it. I'm glad he took the approach on using some quality kit components / wheels / brakes, etc when building and not knockoff stuff.

The seats are odd - I went back and looked at my pics of the last (and only) time I've seen this GS at Nopi 2004. Some pics of the car back then here, you can see had had two tone seats.

http://www.somniplex.com/gallery/Nop...ls2004?page=11
It really does look better in Person....It is a PURPOSE BUILT SHOW car, i mean he trailored it into the show. I know it took him forever to setup the display but payed out in the end with $$ Award along with BEST OF SHOW/BEST TOYOTA-LEXUS/ and a few others. His name is Tony something. I asked him if he has been on CL before but he said he been meaning to just not yet. He said theres a Huge LEXUS meet up in Chicago sometime soon. Anyone hear of that? As for some of the cars in your pics, i seen lots of those here in the midwest at different shows. The Orange/Blue Celica is everywhere hahaahaha....
Old 07-13-06, 12:13 PM
e-diddy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DruMnBaSS
i think the GS looks sick like that... nice scheme... never seen it.. i guess he should follow un on that interior work

and remove the red film from the headlights
Old 07-13-06, 12:17 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Did I hate? I'm now over 40.... I guess that puts me in the 'older crowd'. Don't lump.

It's all personal preference regardless and folks with the creaks in their joints and reading glasses have opinions that count as much as yours. Let's keep the button on hold please and respect other member's opinions. We're a community with different tastes, you can't possible expect everyone to be homogeneous.

I didn't lump you in there did I, Dave? Sorry if I did! But in the same aspect of telling me that we are a community, we have a lot of the "older crowd" that seem to scold anyone that has a different taste in what looks good on a car. Sorry, if they happen to be mods, but it's been a growing trend around here. It seems like if you don't go classy, or if you don't go VIP, you should sell your Lexus immediately and buy a Honda. Some like carbon fiber, some like heavy chrome. Either way, it is indeed someone's opinion and I believe that they shouldn't be ridiculed for it. Not sure if anyone else has been noticing it... but I have.

Again, sorry if I lumped you into that group... Not my intentions WHATSOEVER!
Old 07-13-06, 12:29 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

For a trailered car, I'd expect better attention to detail. When I used to show my MR2, the bottom of the car was as clean as the top. I detailed everything, brake lines, suspension, door jambs... cleanliness is a big part of the equation (at least, it is to me); furthermore, my MR2 was daily driven and never trailered anywhere.

On a car that is a show queen, there is no excuse for dirt. There are a few overlooked details on that GS that are glaringly apparent, even from the photos- the lips of the wheels need to be re-polished, the suspension & wheel wells need to be cleaned- simple stuff, but it would make a big diffference.

Overall, big props to the owner for taking a daring step with tuning his Lexus. Red isn't a color I'd paint a GS, but I must say it looks pretty good! The car has a nice stance and a crazy ICE package- this is what you need to do to compete at that level in the show car circuit. He may also have comitments to sponsors that dictated or influenced the color scheme and overall look of the car.

Just doing wheels and springs won't get you far in this scene..
Old 07-13-06, 12:33 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

I didn't lump you in there did I, Dave? Sorry if I did! But in the same aspect of telling me that we are a community, we have a lot of the "older crowd" that seem to scold anyone that has a different taste in what looks good on a car. Sorry, if they happen to be mods, but it's been a growing trend around here. It seems like if you don't go classy, or if you don't go VIP, you should sell your Lexus immediately and buy a Honda. Some like carbon fiber, some like heavy chrome. Either way, it is indeed someone's opinion and I believe that they shouldn't be ridiculed for it. Not sure if anyone else has been noticing it... but I have.

Again, sorry if I lumped you into that group... Not my intentions WHATSOEVER!
Lol, no problems.... I was lumped by my age group

We'll be taking care of the issue you raise very shortly with some specialty forums. They're already setup and in place and you can't see 'em, just working on the finishing touches.
Old 07-13-06, 12:39 PM
Stage3
Lexus Fanatic

Lol, no problems.... I was lumped by my age group

We'll be taking care of the issue you raise very shortly with some specialty forums. They're already setup and in place and you can't see 'em, just working on the finishing touches.
Good deal! Now, I hate to say it... Either take it to PM or get back on topic! LOL!
Old 07-13-06, 02:44 PM
onihc
I heart Honda

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree. I hate the word "Ricer". I could care less if someone puts lambo doors on their car. If I don't agree with it, it's not going on my car. No need to label someone "ricer" because I disagree with their philosophy.

90% of people on this board don't understand Show Cars and sponsorships. The moment a car photo from a car show is posted, immediate comments are "Turned this nice car into a rice mobile' or 'stickers ruined this lexus."

I am the self proclaimed ricer because I got flamed for changing the light bulbs for my fogs. And yes I do have a sticker on my rear window.

Back on this GS; My ultimate GS would be Red (that's why this thread interested me) with 2JZ-GTE and six speed.
Old 07-14-06, 02:41 PM
bluerex
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i love everything except..remove the red off the headlights and paint the top black.
Old 07-14-06, 02:44 PM
TLW
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We're a community with different tastes, you can't possible expect everyone to be homogeneous.

Who you calling a homo
Old 07-14-06, 02:51 PM
LiLS
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TLW
Who you calling a homo
lol

Quick Reply: Red GS400 *PICS*