GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

intakes ???????

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-01 | 03:59 PM
babyboy
Rookie

Question intakes ???????

if i were to buy an intake what companies should i consider. i have heard of akimoto and this new one Weapon R. which one would be better for a gs 400 (98) how do they price compare does swift racing offer any intakes ?

any info youguys have would be much appreciated.
thanks
babyboy
Old 09-28-01 | 05:43 PM
00gs4
Driver School Candidate

well here is a link that was posted awhile back ago. check it out and judge for your self.

http://www.mindspring.com/~slgs4/GS300.htm
Old 09-28-01 | 05:54 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

well for a while the best intake you could get for the GS is the SRT intake but recently the weapon R intake is presumed to have more bang for the buck, but no test results have been shown yet of its abilities
Old 09-28-01 | 06:55 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

$1000 for just another Jap tunner intake is not a bang for the buck.....
Old 09-28-01 | 07:29 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

the intake itself is 214
Old 09-28-01 | 07:36 PM
KNKGS400
Pole Position

Perhaps u should check out www.weapon-r.com before claiming what's what for the buck? don't worry your money will be well spent...
Old 09-28-01 | 07:39 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

But when you try to compair it to SRT intake for 675 then you are not just talking about an intake then....

I think $1000 for ECU and intake is a JOKE.....I might buy the weapon R intake but that ECU would have to produce 30 rwhp to be worth $800......

And everyone here might not know but WeaponR is not consided that great in the Honda/Acura world.....
Old 09-28-01 | 08:53 PM
00gs4
Driver School Candidate

if you look at the link above and look closely. Their ECU intake system produce 13HP min and 30.4 of TQ. So if your saying that its worth 800 for 30HP and as you can see. You get more that anyother tuners. You feel more power with 30 TQ than 30HP. But if your looking for just a intake than go with what you like and want. WR has made the ECU intake for people at are really into performance so you be the judge.
Old 09-28-01 | 09:26 PM
KNKGS400
Pole Position

cshflw- i know what your taking about regurading weapons r, but i assume you didn't go to there site yet, because you would notice that the weapons r, is now under intercrew which is something only for lexus tunning only...you also will see that you get more just anintake/ecu...for your buck, but if srt is your choice they are having a special on his site u can go and purchase
Old 09-29-01 | 09:18 AM
RacingAristo

There is no much difference in intakes my friend. What makes them really stand out is the custom-made ECU. If you only want an intake, go with either RMM or Weapon R. (p.s. you get to choose the air filter if you go with RMM)
Old 09-29-01 | 11:05 AM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Now the price is $1500 for the intake combo...that is outragous....
And an ECU should do more then addjust A/F ratio's for the intake....I would like to see some real numbers with only the ECU....

I believe that any intake should produce about 15hp on this car..... The SAFC bumps it up another 15hp....thats a good 20rwp with the pair.....

I don't want to pay $675 for an intake from SRT either....thats too much for an intake....with an ECU that doesn't do much.

$200 for an AEM cold air intake is fine...I think the Weapon R should be about $100......I am not happy with the look of there filters....Plus it's not cold air.... I DO really like the cold air box though...and the manifold cover, thats nice. But I see the price jumped $500 when they added those and $500 for those parts is crazy.....Weapon R should not be chargeing prices like that......
Old 09-29-01 | 01:13 PM
00gs4
Driver School Candidate

Hey CSHFLW

your crasy to think that you'll get 15hp from just a intake. Many have ran dyno test and found about 2 to 3hp gain and maybe some TQ. As for the WR intake, yes you will get some TQ but over all you need a ECU to produce more power. Also the WR ECU doesn much more than just adjusting the A/F but thats for them to know and not us the buyers. We just want more power right?
As for the 1500 price tag. Look at what you get, your not just getting an intake and ECU. It seems that you just looking at the price and not looking at what you get for the money. By the way, you have a Lexus and not a Honda so prices will be high just like for Bimmers and Benz if you shop around. Just to let you know, for a intake and ECU for the Bimmer. You will be looking at or around 2K so what are you saying.
No one is here to make you get the WR system so if you don't like it than get the one you like rather than trying to get the price down. Also WR has proved that there ECU out perform other ECU's out here for the Lexus so again look at the dyno link above.
Just make sure that you will be happy with what you get I have the WR ecu and just love the way my car runs
Old 09-29-01 | 01:20 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

And just to let you know, I own a 2001 BMW too, and the Dinan chip cost $250 and there Carbon fiber Cold air intake is $499........and aluminum one is $399...and these are the most expensive and respected tuners for BMW today.

http://hotbot.lycos.com/director.asp...MW&rsource=INK

Last edited by CSHFLW; 09-29-01 at 01:30 PM.
Old 09-29-01 | 01:24 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

But this was post was about WR being best bang for the buck.....And they make semi-quality intakes for hondas and acuras, that doesn't mean they should mark this one up cuz it's a Lexus. I think $200 is reasonable, a bit high....and I may get this one....I really like the airbox they have. But the ECU is way overpriced.
Old 09-29-01 | 01:50 PM
RacingAristo

I, as a 97 BMW M3 owner, have to agree with CSHFLW. $1500 for WR package is ridiculous IMO. Of course, we don't like the price, we just won't buy it. However, I heard that WR ECU can adjust not only the air/fuel ratio, also the shift point, and others. So it's more than S-AFC.

One more point that was mentioned by CSHFLW, you certainly cannot compare Dinan with Weapon R, at least not now. Dinan, AMG, TRD are the top quality authorized tuners.

Quick Reply: intakes ???????