GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help...!!! Someone's Trying to Steal the GS...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-01, 06:08 PM
MAD_Wicked
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help...!!! Someone's Trying to Steal the GS...

I live in a Condo just outside of the Washington DC area, and unfortunately have no garage to park the GS in.

None the less I have lived here for about 3 years.

I had a 95 Cavelier that was broken into one day by a professional car theif that broke into about 20 cars in the lot one night and stole everyones radio.

Now I CAN TELL SOMEONE IS MESSING WITH THE GS...

About 2 months ago I noticed a dent on the chrome trim that lines the windows of the GS. It clearly looks like someone might have been trying to jimmy the door open... I actually thought at 1st that maybe a truck door might have hit it...

But yesterdary morning I go outside and a bent "nameless" Sears credit card resting on my wind sheild in between the glass and the car hood. Now I am thinking that someone is DEFINATELY trying to gain access to the GS.

In 3 years I have never heard my car alarm go off...

The alarm will not go off even if you bang on the windsheilds.

Does it go off if the windsheild is broken, or do the doors have to be opened, and what about the trunk...?

Does anyone know of a motion sensor add on for the GS alarm...?

Do you have an additional alarm that works with the GS alarm, or is it over riding the GS alarm, or just inactive all together...?

I used to clown people that had the Viper alarm that protects the car with a forcefeild...And now I may be shopping for one this weekend.

THIS IS WAR...
Break out the NIGHT VISION Equipment...
Paint your faces
And LOAD them if you have them...

I'll be DEER hunting tonight...IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN...:eek:

Last edited by MAD_Wicked; 09-29-01 at 01:03 AM.
Old 09-28-01, 06:41 PM
cdn2k1gs3
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey MAD:

Sorry to hear about your car... the bad news is that the GS stock alarm will only go off if the door is opened or the ignition is tampered with with the alarm on. There are after market systems out there that will give a proximity warning if someone approaches the car without waking the whole neighborhood.

If I were you, either get a good protection system or move! Good luck!
Old 09-28-01, 08:02 PM
ceoart
Pole Position

Cool

Originally posted by cdn2k1gs3
Hey MAD:

Sorry to hear about your car... the bad news is that the GS stock alarm will only go off if the door is opened or the ignition is tampered with with the alarm on. There are after market systems out there that will give a proximity warning if someone approaches the car without waking the whole neighborhood.

If I were you, either get a good protection system or move! Good luck!
You definitely do not want a proximity warning. I had one on my 735i BMW which said Warning You are to close to the vehicle. If they kept at it the voice of the alarm would give other warnings like the alarm will sound if you do not step away from the vehicle. All that did was get people mad. They would kick the car and put dents in it! :eek: One dent was at the rear of the car in a panel which was very difficult to get fixed.
Old 09-28-01, 09:34 PM
KNKGS400
Pole Position

Sorry to hear about your troubles,,depending how far you are away from your car an alram will just make a nosie and depending where you live it might just sound like nothing to some people, and even with an alarm scaring the person away does not mean ending your problem, they will just think of another way to do it....best set a trap for those "mother? with dozen or so of your boys hidding all around the neighborhood and pow pow when he caught in action i gurantee it would be the last time after a good *** whipping he would dare to come back and steal your car....reguradless up the insurance of your car then...to be on the safe side, because if the theft wants your car bad enough not matter what combo of security you have they will find a way to take it anyways...hope this helps
Old 09-29-01, 12:11 AM
fisher_price
Rookie

Consider:
--an aftermarket alarm with a pager notifier
--a note in your window that says "SMILE! I"M VIDEOTAPING YOU!"
--or maybe "I'M ABOUT TO BLOW YOUR F--KIN HEAD OFF"
--not touching anything on your car the next time it's been touched and calling the cops, maybe? seems like you oughta be able to pull prints off a credit card type thing...

ack.
Old 09-29-01, 01:01 AM
MAD_Wicked
Driver School Candidate

Do any of you know about the factory GS radio, and CD changer.

If the windsheild were broken and the radio or glove compartment were forced open do you think that the alarm would go off...???

Also if anybody has added an alarm to their GS, do you have to disengage the GS factory alarm some kind of way...???

Thanks for your help...

I will be alarm shopping Saturday morning...

Any brand recomendations...Price too if you know them...

Thanks
Old 09-29-01, 03:34 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

I think the only way the factory alarm will sound is if the door locks are moved/door is opened or brake pedal depressed. I tried it when I was in the car once and engaged the alarm... also. by the way.. it takes about one minute for the alarm to actually engage after pressing the lock button!!! how weird.

About aftermarket alarms... I just went searching for some a couple weeks back. The shop told me they have to disable the factory alarm and immobilizer and THEN they could install the aftermarket alarm. This has to be done.. I heard a person from Mercedesshop that didnt put an immobilizer and there were a whole bunch of freaky things that happened since the two systems conflicted with each other. Price... I got a range of between 175-350 USDollars installed... JTI security systems, Viper(DEI/Directed electronics INC), and Compustar are the three brands they use here in Guam. I ranked these by price from least to most expensive. the compustar one has that silent pager feature that people were talking about. well.. I hope that was helpful... good luck!!!

~Manny
Old 09-29-01, 05:46 AM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Sorry to hear about this unfortunate incident . For me, the GS alarm only goes off if I unlock the doors or open the trunk. THOUGH, the trunk thing doesn't work all the time. If I was in your shoes, I change the alarm COMPLETELY. The GS alarm IMO is sub-standard to the new alarms on the market today. Waaaayy sub-standard
Old 09-29-01, 07:03 AM
Mean Gene
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Manny - They Lied!

Manny - U do NOT have to disable the factory alarm!! My Viper 800 has coexisted peacefully with the Lexus alarm for over 2 years now. The only problem I've had is remembering which remote the wife used when she drove the GS. If the Viper's armed & I use it's remote to disarm ( it's also tied into my doors & windows ) then Lexus alarm's still on the job so when I open the doors the horn blows!:eek: I generally use the Viper when I'm at the mall or in an unfamiliar area because of it's better protection. When it's parked in the garage ( which has it's own alarm system ) then I'll use the factory one. Find another shop!!:eek:
Old 09-30-01, 03:48 AM
babyGS3
Lexus Champion

wooh.. thanks gene!!! hmm.. ya know I really think I will not have anybody touch my car here in Guam... Thanks for saving me... as always bro!!! ya know.. since I have had no experience with this stuff... I guess the shops here kinda sense that and say hey.. here is a person we can make mucho dinero off of. Little do they know I got mah peepz from CL to back me up...
Old 09-30-01, 01:53 PM
GS400_PUSHER
Lexus Champion

Default I would just move if your renting

Mad, where in dc do you live? I hope its not SE...hahhaha I stay right outside of DC in Rockville,MD and had some people trying to break in my GS4 too but now I got a garage. and its safe now..I suggest you move to a place with a garage. thats the safest place for your ride. People now days don't even care if you have a Alarm they will still try their luck.....good luck!!!