GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Twin Turbos???

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-01, 09:06 AM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Twin Turbos???

Can someone tell me why you can't just put on the twin turbo system off of the Supra being it's the same engine?
Old 09-30-01, 09:10 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think for one thing the GS has a vvti engine and the supra doesn't.
I also thougt that the internals aren't the same.
Please correct me if I'm wrong!!!
Old 09-30-01, 12:24 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

they're not EXACTLY the same engine. Many things are actually different. Compression ratio, internals, intake, etc are different.

Stock turbo components are not like a turbo kit. They don't bolt on. It's much easier to get a turbo kit that's designed for the GS rather than trying to make Supra turbo components fit.
Old 09-30-01, 12:35 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

Well it's the same block so the turbo manifold should bolt on and thats the only hard part...the intercooler piping would be custom done anyways.....as long as theres room for the turbos to fit on the manifold...the down pipe is also something that should be easily made too....
Old 09-30-01, 12:57 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by CSHFLW
Well it's the same block so the turbo manifold should bolt on and thats the only hard part...the intercooler piping would be custom done anyways.....as long as theres room for the turbos to fit on the manifold...the down pipe is also something that should be easily made too....
It's the same block but the pistons, other internals etc. are all kinda different. Hence creating the different compression ratio. Those can be changed but there's too much work involved. Everything can be made, as long as you have money. And if you have the money to do all these things to get a Supra turbo kit on, you might as well get a setup that's designed for the GS specifically, so you don't have to go through all these fabrication. And you can produce more power than trying to throw in a Supra kit. The Supra kit was designed to go on a 2JZ-GTE, not GE.
Old 09-30-01, 01:58 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

None of the internals really matter, they do but they dont, what I mean is they wont stop anything from physically bolting on to the engine....and the compression ratio is not going to be high enough to be dangerous.....Toyotas have good sized rods, it can handle the HP....and getting piping done is extremly cheap, intercooling pipe less then $100 and down pipe less then $100....
Old 09-30-01, 04:16 PM
HKSpowerGS4
Driver

The stock twin turbo assembly will not bolt on a 2jzge motor. Though the blocks are very very similar, if not the same, the heads are different on the 2jzge versus the 2jzgte. The exhaust manifold ports/flange are different, therefore the manifold for the 2jzgte motor will not bolt up to the 2jzge head (vvt-i or not).

The 2jzge is still stout enough to hanlde a decent amount of boost, as long as the fuel requirements are met for the additional airflow. Trying to modify the stock turbo manifolds of the 2jzgte wouldnt be too feasible, but modifying a turbo upgrade kit's manifold will and has been done on the non-vvti 2jzge

Will
Old 09-30-01, 06:14 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by CSHFLW
None of the internals really matter, they do but they dont, what I mean is they wont stop anything from physically bolting on to the engine....and the compression ratio is not going to be high enough to be dangerous.....Toyotas have good sized rods, it can handle the HP....and getting piping done is extremly cheap, intercooling pipe less then $100 and down pipe less then $100....

there's ALOT that's needed to be done to physically bolt on the supra turbo setup. HKSpowerGS4 pretty much summed it up.

The compression ratio won't do any damage but it's too high to run the turbo effectively.

Look into bolt on turbo and S/C applications not supra turbo parts.
Old 09-30-01, 07:15 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Just wondering guys, wouldn't it be easier to put a IS300 turbo on our GS? How different is it between the two?
Old 09-30-01, 07:25 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default No way.

Originally posted by GS - T.O.
Just wondering guys, wouldn't it be easier to put a IS300 turbo on our GS? How different is it between the two?
GS - T.O.,
the IS300 has a turbo? No way.
Old 09-30-01, 07:33 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Talking

V300,

Yes, there's turbo for IS300. Both XS-engineering and Toyomoto have already developed it (not sure if it's in production yet). Pick up a copy of the latest Turbo magazine and you will find out more. To get you off the seat, Toyomoto had turbo the IS to a 606HP monster!
Old 09-30-01, 09:54 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

GS - T.O.,
the IS300 has a turbo? No way.

V300,

Yes, there's turbo for IS300. Both XS-engineering and Toyomoto have already developed it (not sure if it's in production yet). Pick up a copy of the latest Turbo magazine and you will find out more. To get you off the seat, Toyomoto had turbo the IS to a 606HP monster!
I think v300 is saying that IS300 doesn't come with a turbo engine from the factory. From your first post it seemed like you're saying the IS300 has a turbo setup which the GS300 can use.

When it comes to turbos I think v300 is one of, if not the most knowledgable guy here in the GS forum.
Old 09-30-01, 10:04 PM
GS - T.O.
Driver

Thanks for clearify GLOBE. I was wondering why v300 would be asking that question I agree, v300 knows his stuff
Old 09-30-01, 10:27 PM
CSHFLW
Lexus Test Driver

hmmm...how about the stock turbo setup from Japan?
Old 09-30-01, 10:36 PM
v300
Lead Lap

Default it's all good

Thanks for the clarification guys.

I have read the new Turbo magazine. I'm a little bit skeptical on the Toyomoto IS making 606hp. In terms of the 2JZGE that's pushing the margin of safety even by Japanese tuner standards.

...I'm going to have to unveil my project V300 soon. I'm just waiting for two more crucial components.

Quick Reply: Twin Turbos???