GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Car shut off suddenly...check engine light...weird?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 06:55 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Car shut off suddenly...check engine light...weird?

hey all,

as i am driving to work today, i pull into my parking garage and try to back in to a parking space.....as i put the car in reverse, the car just shut off on me for no apparent reason......the check engine light came on and the oil light came on... ...so i put her back in P and start her back up and she started up w/ no problems....no check engine lights....

anyone else have this weird problem happen to them? ....where the car will just shut off....i duno if putting it in reverse caused it or not, but it just shut off.....i would think this is pretty serious problem....i duno what it could be....

i just intstalled a subwoofer this weekend and have been bumping it hard, but i dont think that is the problem...

any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-19-06, 07:46 AM
gs4rocks
Pole Position

It happened to me once about 6 months ago out of 3 years of drving the car. It was on highway during traffic. When I came to a complete stop then tried to go again, all the lights were on and engine was off. I think the check engine light doesn't mean anything. They are on because the key is on position and the engine is not running.
Old 07-19-06, 08:06 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you may want to search on the topic of low engine idle, i think some gs400 has this problem.

sometimes the idle becomes too low and it kills the engine.
Old 07-19-06, 08:09 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

If the oil lamp came on, I would take out a paper towel and check your engine oil level. Otherwise, it was just the stall.

The check engine error should be stored in the ECM. Have the codes read at a local Auto Zone to get an idea of what the engine noted as the error.
Old 07-19-06, 08:15 AM
minla007
Pole Position

ok, ill check the engine oil level and have autozone check the codes.....this is very disturbing to me....i hope it doesnt happen again....the car is so quiet that i didnt even know it shut off, until i tried to give it gas and it didnt do anything......weird yo....

i did some searching and foudn this post about the APP sensor, MAF, etc....u think this might be the problem too?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=163516
Old 07-19-06, 08:25 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your lights came on as part of the key on/engine off bulb check. The same as before you start the car.

If there was a fault the check engine light would have stayed on and there will be a code stored.

I would suggest checking the idle and the intake system, if there is a torn boot or loose hose and too much air came in the engine may stall with out any codes. The fact you put it into revers shows that the engine twisted the other direction when loaded with the trans and drivetrain.

-Bill
Old 07-19-06, 08:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

when an engine stalls, oil lamp, battery lamps always come on. Yes check to see how the throttle cable is set, if its too low it will drop the rpm enough to stall during idle
Old 07-19-06, 09:02 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
when an engine stalls, oil lamp, battery lamps always come on. Yes check to see how the throttle cable is set, if its too low it will drop the rpm enough to stall during idle
thanks for the advice guys!

where is the throttle cable and how do i check to see what it is set at?....forgive my ignorance cuz i am a newbie
Old 07-19-06, 09:09 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by minla007
i just intstalled a subwoofer this weekend and have been bumping it hard, but i dont think that is the problem...
Check your battery connections and make sure they are TIGHT. Not just merely touching... TIGHT.

Same thing happened to me when I was driving at night, turns out the battery terminal was loose and although I thought I tightened it, it wasn't as tight as it could have been.
Old 07-19-06, 10:12 AM
PlatGS400
Driver

This happened to me once while I was slowly pulling into my driveway. I had no idea what it was but it hasn't happened since so I never looked into it.

Hopefully it's nothing serious in your case.......
Old 07-19-06, 10:28 AM
minla007
Pole Position

ok....took the car out during my lunch break....everything seems to be fine now....i duno what the problem was...car just shut off

checked the oil and tranny fluid, everyhting seems at the right levels....ill check the battery connections tonight and prob disconnect it so i can reset the ecu......should i pull of the negative or positive wire for the ecu reset? how long do i leave it off for?

i hope this is a one time thing....but still has me worried.
Old 07-19-06, 11:20 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

i think you pull the positive for 10 minutes. when you tighten back up the positive, make sure the negative terminal is solid too.
Old 07-19-06, 03:21 PM
phantastik
Driver School Candidate

Default never has happen to me on my GS

before my Gs i had a 1994 acura legend 4 door (GREAT CAR) and it happend lots of time when i put the car on reverse it used to die on me but i never figure out what it was but after i did a major tuned up and timing belt and water pump it didnt happend again. i do not have any suggestion but what i can tell you is after when i did my tuned up my car was fine it had like 220 something thousand miles
Old 07-19-06, 04:54 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
Check your battery connections and make sure they are TIGHT. Not just merely touching... TIGHT.

Same thing happened to me when I was driving at night, turns out the battery terminal was loose and although I thought I tightened it, it wasn't as tight as it could have been.
When the car is running why would this matter??? The battery is only working to start the car isn't it??

Jonny
Old 07-19-06, 05:25 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Dx3
When the car is running why would this matter??? The battery is only working to start the car isn't it??

Jonny
That's what I thought too but apparently not. The battery cable was loose and when I coasted to a stop, the engine would cut out. I took it to the shop expecting the worst and it ended up being the most expensive battery terminal connector the independent shop ever had to install. 35 bucks.

Quick Reply: Car shut off suddenly...check engine light...weird?