GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

My first mod (yes, I'm serious)

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-06, 08:13 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by gs4bkny
how did you polish he headlights and what effect did it have??
Here you go:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...=plastx+friend
Old 07-19-06, 08:15 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by chuckb
congrats e! good luck getting them even. maybe another member has fixed it somehow before. I would think an exhaust shop could fix that somehow too.
Thanks Chuck. I'm really not interested in paying someone to fix it. If I can't fix it myself, I'll just deal with it. It's not that big of a deal, but you would think that it should fit perfectly.
Old 07-20-06, 02:35 PM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

glad to see the mod bug has finally bitten you E Its just downhill from here. This time next year you will be slammed on staggered 19s with a JP kit
Old 07-20-06, 06:08 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GS300Rich
glad to see the mod bug has finally bitten you E Its just downhill from here. This time next year you will be slammed on staggered 19s with a JP kit
maybe we should start him off with some clear side markers and a chrome grill first.
Old 07-20-06, 06:10 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had to beat the old bolts out of mine. And when I used an impact gun to try and remove them from the car I stripped them and had to drill each one out. Pain in the rear, but worth it.
Old 07-20-06, 06:29 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

There. Now that's a little better. It's still not perfect, but neither were the stock ones.
Attached Thumbnails My first mod (yes, I'm serious)-dscn6209-resized-.jpg  
Old 07-21-06, 06:06 AM
blkvader
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default pipes

what is the make on thoses exhaust
Old 07-21-06, 06:28 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

E-man,

I have the same problem. I have been told by a few of my guys here to heat the pipes and bend the muffler into place. Now that I see yours is almost exactly off as mine is I think that might be the only true fix.

I was trying to find a DIY solution so everyone here could easy do it, but no luck.

Keep us posted with anything you might try.

Thanks
-Bill

BTW, Car looks great.
Old 07-21-06, 06:31 AM
Bill_GS3
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by e-man
There. Now that's a little better. It's still not perfect, but neither were the stock ones.
What did you do?
Old 07-21-06, 02:14 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wdpower
What did you do?
I was hoping someone would ask:
Attached Thumbnails My first mod (yes, I'm serious)-dscn6207-resized-.jpg  
Old 07-21-06, 02:15 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Here's a before picture:
Attached Thumbnails My first mod (yes, I'm serious)-dscn6204-resized-.jpg  
Old 07-21-06, 02:17 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

And here's an after picture. The muffler was only off by about an inch or so. I wrapped the plastic tie around the hooks and tightened it with one hand while lifting the muffler slightly with the other hand. If you look closely in the picture, you can see the plastic tie peeking out from behind the rubber hanger:
Attached Thumbnails My first mod (yes, I'm serious)-dscn6234-resized-.jpg  
Old 07-21-06, 02:19 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

I did send a PM to Steve at Carson yesterday morning. He read my PM, but has not yet responded. I know quite a few of us have had this issue, so I have to assume that he's working on a solution. If I hear back from him, I'll let everyone know. Alternatively, if Steve or someone else is reading this post, perhaps he could give us all an update.
Old 07-21-06, 03:08 PM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey eric... that fix looks like it will be great for the short term but may not last long term since it is plastic. it will probably fail due to heat stress and the sheer weight of the muffler being put on it.

here's an idea that i'll be trying this weekend. there are little rubber squares in the spare tire area that are there to help seat the spare tire. I had to pull these off when I applied sound deadening material to them and they look like the right type of spacer to use for our mufflers.

What I'm going to do is cut one in half (they're very easy to cut) and then strap it to the inside hook section of the muffler to effectively raise up the muffler approx 1/3 inch. I may need two pieces of rubber to do this so we'll see...

i picked up a floor jack from my parent's house last night and I'll probably get to this tomorrow. To strap the rubber to the muffler, I'll probably just use electrical tape. I think electrical tape stands up to heat fairly well and it will suffice in holding the rubber spacer in place.

I'll post photos of the process and end result when I'm done.

Old 07-21-06, 05:02 PM
e-man
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by cliffud
hey eric... that fix looks like it will be great for the short term but may not last long term since it is plastic. it will probably fail due to heat stress and the sheer weight of the muffler being put on it.

here's an idea that i'll be trying this weekend. there are little rubber squares in the spare tire area that are there to help seat the spare tire. I had to pull these off when I applied sound deadening material to them and they look like the right type of spacer to use for our mufflers.

What I'm going to do is cut one in half (they're very easy to cut) and then strap it to the inside hook section of the muffler to effectively raise up the muffler approx 1/3 inch. I may need two pieces of rubber to do this so we'll see...

i picked up a floor jack from my parent's house last night and I'll probably get to this tomorrow. To strap the rubber to the muffler, I'll probably just use electrical tape. I think electrical tape stands up to heat fairly well and it will suffice in holding the rubber spacer in place.

I'll post photos of the process and end result when I'm done.

Hey Clifford. That sounds like it would work, but how will you get the rubber hanger off the hooks in order to tape your piece of rubber on there. The right hanger does not come off like the left one does. If you look at the picture, you can see that it's blocked from moving it off the upper hook by a piece of metal.

As for the plastic tie down, I'm not so sure it will fail due to heat. Although the muffler and the exhaust tip get pretty hot, those hooks remain relatively cool.

e

Quick Reply: My first mod (yes, I'm serious)