GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

All Chrome ( DIY ) Grille** 4 your GS**

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-06, 08:45 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ya
well ima try this today on my 99, hopefully it comes out good and not have problems like everybody else

Let us know how it turns out and if you were about to get it all done, please leave me some tips. Maybe 1999 cars are cursed

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 07-21-06, 08:52 AM
PlatGS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GWELEX
On my '01 I used the Gel stuff and Q-Tips as mentioned in the 1st DIY for a chrome grill. It wasn't on there but a couple of minutes and the paint was bubbling off. The entire process including removing and installing the grill didn't take 1/2 an hour. I considered doing the entire grill but thought it might be too much. After seeing Gato's, it looks pretty darn good, I may finish it out. Not sure why some have problems, maybe not leaving the paint remover on long enough or perhaps there are 2 different black finishes.
I did the front last year using the gel.....and I still had to do some scrubbing with fine steel wool to get the paint off just the front. I wanted to do the whole thing but there was no way I was going to scrub the whole grill. I figured this was the answer. I guess it is, just not for me.

I'm gonna go buy a dremel today and try and finish it up after work. (fingers crossed)
Old 07-21-06, 10:41 AM
2ya
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GSteg
Let us know how it turns out and if you were about to get it all done, please leave me some tips. Maybe 1999 cars are cursed

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

well it didn't come out to bad, not as good as his but i couldn't get on the side of the bars to good. i think ima do it again except get in there with a dremal tool you'll beable to scrub the sides easier cuz a flat head doens't get in there as good. but it came out fairly good. plus i went to the car wish and use that high pressure hose to try to knock some of it off as well. but i give it a B+
Old 07-21-06, 12:22 PM
URDONE
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 2ya
well it didn't come out to bad, not as good as his but i couldn't get on the side of the bars to good. i think ima do it again except get in there with a dremal tool you'll beable to scrub the sides easier cuz a flat head doens't get in there as good. but it came out fairly good. plus i went to the car wish and use that high pressure hose to try to knock some of it off as well. but i give it a B+
Post some pictures.
Old 07-21-06, 12:37 PM
Lexizm
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great job man, really!! I wish I would have seen this a few months ago too. It's looks FAAAANTASTIC
Old 07-21-06, 12:45 PM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Which dremel bit did you guys use?? Do you have the dremel part # for it?

Jonny
Old 07-21-06, 08:58 PM
BurgandyGS
Pole Position

I have a 98 GS and it took some of the paint of easy like the slats but some areas were stubborn. I kept cleaning it and respraying it and then it ate some of the grill. No need to freak out, I taped off the chrome slats and painted the rest black. Looks really good.
Old 07-21-06, 09:24 PM
PlatGS400
Driver

Even with a dremel I couldn't get it all off. I tried small portions just to test it out and so I was leaving it on as long as 10 minutes.....no paint bubbling off. It looks like I should have just left it alone with the front chromed like I had it. I'll give it another go manana.
Old 07-21-06, 09:30 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

I use the black brush for the demel bit. I dont know the number because I bought the dremel as a kit and they didn't tell me, or at least I dont have the booklet anymore

While it's still eating the paint, you use the dremel and it'll get it out. Wear long sleeves and pants though because those little paint that flings off onto your skin will burrrrrnnn. You'll feel that heat and it's not pleasant

I should have left my grill alone though. lol. I'll tackle this job another time

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Old 08-05-06, 07:45 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the great post, I just got stripping off the paint. About 99% of it came off. I need to get in there with a dremel tool and get the tough spots, but looks so amazing.
Old 08-05-06, 10:30 PM
NellyMane
Driver School Candidate

where can u buy the "KLEAN STRIP"? i went to da home depot store and site and i couldn't find it
Old 08-05-06, 10:47 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by NellyMane
where can u buy the "KLEAN STRIP"? i went to da home depot store and site and i couldn't find it
I got mine at Homedepot in foothill ranch. The cans were stuffed way in the back but they were there. Maybe your local doesnt carry em.

Did you ask someone there when you couldnt find em?
Old 08-06-06, 03:39 AM
PureDrifter
BahHumBug

Received 94 Likes on 86 Posts

anyone know if u can use this stuff to strip the B pillars on an LS400?

supposedly those are polised alum. under the thick black rubberish coating.
Old 08-06-06, 02:53 PM
NellyMane
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mole
I got mine at Homedepot in foothill ranch. The cans were stuffed way in the back but they were there. Maybe your local doesnt carry em.

Did you ask someone there when you couldnt find em?

yea dey i guess they dont have em around here
Old 08-06-06, 05:00 PM
lexusmonk
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=GSteg]Let us know how it turns out and if you were about to get it all done, please leave me some tips. Maybe 1999 cars are cursed

I have a '98 and it def. didn't come 'right off' like it apparently does for the 430's! It took a couple re-sprays of the Klean Strip along with good ol' elbow grease with multiple scrubbings using #00 Fine Steel Wool. I have it about 90% done and it looks schweet! Very clean. It just took a lot of meticulous attention and time. I'll post some pics when I'm 100% done.

Quick Reply: All Chrome ( DIY ) Grille** 4 your GS**