GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Navigation questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-06 | 09:34 PM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

Default Navigation questions

ive tried searching for NAVIGATION and NAVI but came up nil.

im in the market for a 98 GS400. ive test driven a few and one had Eclipse navigation, while another had the factory one.

i really liked the Eclipse one, but it did not have the factory CD changer. is there anyway to use the factory changer with an aftermarket head unit? while were at it, can i drive the factory speakers thru an aftermarket head unit?

i didnt really get to play with the factory nav as the car overall was a disappoinment [VSC light, ABS light, LOUD(!) steering column motor, misaligned head lights, and some other stuff]. anyway, the screen looks pretty cluttered and colorwashed in it. for the folks who use the factory nav, are you happy with it? ive read on here that its slow and inaccurate. if that is the case, i will look for a car without the factory nav and go aftermarket.

i've decided that my next car MUST have navigation

ur thoughts?
Old 07-27-06 | 08:12 AM
Flufferiou
Lead Lap

the incorrect readings may mean you might need to buy a newer navi. disk.
the Eclipse is nice (do you know which model?) and Eclipse makes the Lexus factory navi units. With the aftermarket Eclipse, you get to watch DVD's and have a built-in MP3 player (depending on the Eclipse model) whereas the factory, you'd have to do some work to get DVD's to play.

And I dont think you can use the factory CD-Changer with the Eclipse unit. Better off buying one from Eclipse and installing that.

I have the AVN5435 and it's awesome!
Old 07-27-06 | 08:52 AM
RedRider
Rookie

I have a 99 GS 400 with the factory nav and I am pretty happy with it. A couple of points to consider:

1. Factory nav also provides trip/mileage computer, climate and audio controls. If you like everything combined into a single touch screen interface like me, then the factory nav is hard to beat.

2. Factory nav on the 98-00 GS 400 is HDD not DVD. The upgrade cycle can be a little slow (the most current update available has Jul 04 map data), and due to the limits of the design such as using a 2GB HDD, there are limitations on the 98 factory nav that more current aftermarket designs don't have.

3. Factory nav/audio combination is good but not great audio. Mixing and matching components with the factory nav/audio combination is not for the faint of heart. If you are a real audiophile, the stock audio that comes with factory nav might not cut it for you. If that is the case I would suggest you avoid the factory nav rather than try to customize the factory nav/audio setup - just my two cents.

Hope this helps...
Old 07-27-06 | 09:07 AM
Vic Nyce
Lead Lap

coincidentally, the one i tested also had the AVN5435. its pretty awesome like u said . i was considering putting that in my car because i dont like how flip out screens block HVAC controls and vents. does an aftermarket CD changer from eclipse fit in the place of the stock changer?

on the other hand, i like the factory nav as it integrates everything into one touch screen making for a more luxurious and upscale looking dash. i think the "premium" sound system is adequate for me. im stepping up from a 97 ES300 which also had the base "premium" sound system which i found no fault in.

looks like it will come down to overall car condition rather then available features.