GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Question about the 90K (and Toyota)

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-06, 09:40 PM
educk
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about the 90K (and Toyota)

All,

I did a search, and can't find anything "definitive".

Is it "okay" to take a GS to a Toyota dealer for the 90K service? I called the local Lexus dealer, Pohanka, and got quoted $1400. I remembered reading here that some members took their GS's to a Toyota dealer (some with bad results), and they got a better deal...Miller Toyota said $400 for the 90K, "assuming all the parts are the same."

Which leads me to my next question: are the parts the same for the GS400 engine as for a Supra engine (actually, I am at this point VERY confused as to what Toyota cars used the same engines as the GS400)? And if not, can anyone give me a list of parts I would need to perform the 90K?

Sorry for so many noob questions...
Old 07-28-06, 01:06 AM
BMwhat?
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good question... i, too, am at the 90k point and need to know the same. i would think that the only definitive way is to go to lexus and get a printout of the services included and compare it to Toyota. But i know for a fact that toyota of buena park, CA will NOT work on a lexus. i dont know about the others.

BTW, the GS400 is a v8 specific to Lexus.... and the Supra (2jz) motors are inline 6's.
Old 07-28-06, 05:30 AM
educk
Rookie

Originally Posted by BMwhat?
good question... i, too, am at the 90k point and need to know the same. i would think that the only definitive way is to go to lexus and get a printout of the services included and compare it to Toyota. But i know for a fact that toyota of buena park, CA will NOT work on a lexus. i dont know about the others.

BTW, the GS400 is a v8 specific to Lexus.... and the Supra (2jz) motors are inline 6's.
Yeah, that was my conclusion as well (well, at least that they are not the same motor). Erggggggh. $1400 vs. $400 is a decent enough difference to freak me out.
Old 07-28-06, 05:44 AM
aliti19
Lexus Test Driver

I do all my oil changes @ Toyota ($50 at Lexus dealer vs. $25 - no brainer)
I'm lucky enough to have an actual Lexus tech do my other service on the side, but
I think the key is to find a Toyo tech that has worked on Lexus cars before. You just have to ask around.
Old 07-28-06, 05:47 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check your owners manual for the timing belt replacement schedule, along with the rest of the services needed. I think this is the difference in price between toyota and lexus..

Was the coolant replaced at 60K? Brake fluid flush?
Old 07-28-06, 06:12 AM
educk
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tammy
Check your owners manual for the timing belt replacement schedule, along with the rest of the services needed. I think this is the difference in price between toyota and lexus..

Was the coolant replaced at 60K? Brake fluid flush?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=229832

You'll see that I am wary right now...I'm talking to this guy about buying his GS400, but he was a little weird about the maintenance. How do you own 7 Lexus cars (is that Lexi?) and not keep taking them to a "reliable" car shop? Or better, how is it he blew off not having maintenance records?

I am right now trying to read up about the 30 and 60 thousand mile services as well. I will ask him about Toyota Type IV tranny fluid...
Old 07-28-06, 09:43 AM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes... Sorry to say that I see

Pass on it ... Too old with too many miles without the proper maintenance. Aside from 10W-30 bulk oil and the cheapest filters money can buy..

Some people "just drive it" ... and don't have a clue.

At 130K miles, things are starting to become troublesome. Emissions might be shaky, requiring catalytic converter or control valve replacements. Sensors become intermittant and expensive parts are starting to fail. ABS brakes become temperamental. Suspension components and bushings are worn. Steering racks leak. Fuel injection and delivery problems. Coolant overheating problems. Abnormal tire wear problems. Interior components fail or become intermittant, like the electric windows, sunroof or door locks. Rubber door seals, trunk and hood lifts.

And these owners tend to "ignore" the little indicators, and convince themselves "there"s nothing wrong".. or the "if it's not broke" way of thinking.

It goes on and on ... Expensive to repair, just to keep it on the road.

Don't forget the insurance cost of this vehicle.

Put your $10K in another vehicle ...
Old 07-28-06, 10:28 AM
JLAM
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got my timing belt, etc done at a local Toyota dealer with no problems. They did an excellent job and good price!
Old 07-28-06, 01:49 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Mine was done at a Toyota as well....they even advertise that they service Lexus. Save some more money by getting the parts (timing belt, water pump, thermostat, etc. ) at Carson.
Old 07-28-06, 03:00 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Im guessing the major price difference is because Toyota isnt going to replace your tbelt.. and Lexus is. There is no other reason for such a huge difference.. the parts alone for a t-belt service (belt, water pump, idlers, seals) are more than $400. So im assuming Toyota is just going to do the normal fluid changes (engine, trans, diff, coolant, and maybe a brake fluid flush)....
Old 07-28-06, 03:03 PM
LexFather

A member just posted a horror story about getting his timing belt done at Toyota, basically he got an engine rebuild.

With Lexus service, you are warrantied I believe 12 months or 12,000 miles, something like that.

There are some that use independent shops and Toyota with success.

I rather pay more and have the piece of mind that Lexus fixed it and backs what they do.
Old 07-28-06, 03:47 PM
educk
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
A member just posted a horror story about getting his timing belt done at Toyota, basically he got an engine rebuild.
Yeah, but he got a cool rebuild out of it!

With Lexus service, you are warrantied I believe 12 months or 12,000 miles, something like that.

There are some that use independent shops and Toyota with success.

I rather pay more and have the piece of mind that Lexus fixed it and backs what they do.
Yeah, there's always that too...