GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

just build a cold air box for my car

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-01, 09:35 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the box was cut and fit perfectly, sealing
and draw air from behind the head light, look closely behind your headlight, you will see a big opening to the bottom of the car
Old 10-05-01, 03:46 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brent - iClub is the North American Subaru Impreza Owners Club...they have some sort of income. Mike Kilty has NO income for Club Lexus. Donations is all that he has...hey, if someone wants to talk to Lexus about supporting the site, I'm sure Mike wouldn't have a problem with it!

Come on, it's $30...you guys drive LEXUS CARS...you can't afford $30?! I sent over $30 to Mike...you guys should not only have enough to send Mike $30 but you should have enough to send United Way/Red Cross donations also...
Old 10-05-01, 06:43 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Cool

actually, $30 is nothing, but i have a problem with giving $30 to get certain online access previlege. I am sure there are many genorousity persons on clublexus; and I would be to if I don't get label as "a Paid member", I thought I use the service for free. I know it cost money for the webservice, I am willing to donate, but when I went to the donate, the amount was set at $30, that is not donation, that is a price. I am sure many generous clublexus members had donate, I would be long gone from this board if I don't realize that there are many good people here.

for me, i had been hanging around mercedes club, acura tl, honda prelude for yearS, and I don't see this ever happen before.

I don't object the idea, but I chose not to participate in it. just me.
just like i do community work and donate money to the community every year, but I would not give a beggar on the corner of the street money, i think they need to get their lazy butt and get a job.

just my .02
anh
Old 10-05-01, 11:24 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I donation is not a set fee, I have to agree with BananaGS on this one. Hmmmmmmmmmmm I just thought about something I was told once.

Anyway this is a great site and a "donation" should be sent without stipulations... I will send $30 bucks because CL has helped me out so much and I truly enjoy all you guys and the info.... I don't think we need to limit posting of pics or reading "member only" forums... just .02 cents...

The guys at the other forums are laughing at us now... I think you would get more donations with out demanding people pay set fees.JMO

The Ikon
Old 10-05-01, 05:02 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awsome work dude! how much did it cost you in parts? 20 bucks? thats a good deal!
Old 10-05-01, 08:25 PM
RacingAristo

Can you make a cold air box for me too? hehe
Old 10-05-01, 09:36 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Default Sasha

Not even that much... more like $5 bucks and 1 hr labor!!! BananaGS, I'm going to make a plexi glass window/top on mine to show off the filter when the top /lid is in place.... I got this idea from a post on the SC forum too...

I'll post it if I can find it.
Old 10-05-01, 10:05 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

where do you get flexi glass? i was looking for it
Old 10-05-01, 10:43 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

Default airbox

Hey BananaGS:

What filter are you running? What is the brand and model number?

Be careful with making positive pressure or directing air to blow on the filter. I built an airbox for my GS4; I had 3" aircraft piping directing air from my Sportline bumper up to the airbox. The air going to the box was as cold as you could get drawing all outside air. But the added air and positive pressure will make your air sensor go crazy. The motor will detect it's getting too much air, then richen the fuel mixture. Your car will stall every time you let up on the gas.
Old 10-06-01, 12:14 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Plexiglass from glass company ask for "Lexan" if they are nice they would give you a "scrap" 10" peice for a buck or two. Home Depot, Lowes or Menards may have it. Get the 1/8" thickness if they have it or whatever you desire. The 1/8th is easy to cut and work with.IMO

Dave, I heard this too about the extra air, but I only heard about it with intake only without an exhaust. Do you have more info, I'm curious?
Old 10-06-01, 12:16 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Dave so did get better when you took away the hose or did you remove your custom box?
Old 10-06-01, 09:42 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Default positive pressure

the intake i have is the older version of RMM intake, which come with pipe, huge intake and velocity stack.

about the positive pressure, i heard about its problem also, i think the problem is not the positive pressure, because running at 60mph, you probably can only generate 1psi MAXimum (in the box, and about 1/2 of that make it into the engine)
but the turbulent air flow due to the wind generated in the pipe is what the cause of check engine light, the turbulent wind going into the intake is messing up the sensor measuring

anyway, my box is not 100% sealed, i'll try to be careful when i lay the new intake pipe, i'll let you know it goes.

also for those who looking for way to quiet the intake sound, this is how you do it, build a box ho ho

Anh
Old 10-06-01, 10:02 AM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Is it with the newer OBDII systems?
Old 10-06-01, 12:53 PM
David GS400
Pole Position

I'm running a SRT high flow intake & ECU. I'm also running SS Borlas for the exhaust. I believe it is the turbulent air flow blowing on the filter. I experimented with a deflector shield over the vent pipe so air would not blow directly on the filter, and that helped quite a bit.

I ended up removing the hose, but kept the 3" hole and screen in the bottom of my airbox. This cavity space is pretty much fed by the duct hole in the bumper so my airbox is getting mostly outside air. I did find that leaving off the top cover, my car just ran better. I guess sealing the top off put too much air pressure around the filter; that's why I thought positive pressure was affecting my air sensor. Leaving the top off probably let's some engine compartment air in, but I probably have so much air coming in from the bottom, that having the top off lets more air out than in. If you can make the sealed box work, great. But after weeks of experimentation, I just couldn't make it fly.

Good luck,
Old 10-06-01, 01:13 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Default pics don't come up

Bananags,
the picks aren't showing up for me. can you e-mail them to me or give me another link?
HI98GS@clublexus.com
thanks

ricky

Quick Reply: just build a cold air box for my car