GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

just build a cold air box for my car

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-01, 07:40 PM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just built a cold air box for my cart

have not have time to paint it all black, but i will do it sometime soon.

my dyno butt seem to like this mod alot, especically at traffic light or during slow moving traffic, the car seems to be alot more responsive around 1-3k rpm

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/bananags...intakebox.html

Last edited by BananaGS; 10-04-01 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-03-01, 09:23 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,659 Posts

Linked images aren't showing up, just an icon about the web site hosting the images.
Old 10-03-01, 10:33 PM
Intellexual
Lead Lap

Right click on the "non-images", goto Properties and copy the link. Open a new browser window and copy the address and the picture should show up.

Lookin great Banana, let us in on the details!!
Old 10-03-01, 10:43 PM
RacingAristo

Old 10-03-01, 10:44 PM
RacingAristo

Old 10-03-01, 10:45 PM
RacingAristo

Old 10-04-01, 12:35 AM
retrodrive
Search Function Inc.

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the box man, very slick. I am doing a similar thing with my LS, but I will have the piping go all the way down and the cone would be somwhere around the front wheel with a little scoop for air. That way the air I will be getting is going to be ice cold.

All the props to you on custom project! I respect people who do this kind of stuff with their own hands!
Old 10-04-01, 06:29 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

there you go again

http://www.angelfire.com/dc/bananags...intakebox.html

link

sorry, i am not a paid member, can't post images, that is why i had to use a free web hosting service (angelfire.com)
(my money go to Austin United Way)

retrodrive, next week I'll do the piping hee hee, too much cutting for one weekend already hee hee. The box is sealed pretty good, i think with the pipe to the front of the car, i may be able to generate some positive pressure around the intake, that would be nice:eek:

anyway, the material are: metal (Zinc/aluminum) sheet, .26 mm, at homeDepot, $10, and another $5 for screws with self-locking nuts, $3 black paint or any color you want, $5 of aluminum bar (next to the metal sheet place) to go a round the edge for support. (see in the picture) Total: around $25, plus 2 days weekend, but i am very slow, take many breaks and eat all the time ho ho

everything is bolted into the car, no drilling on the car at any place. make sure you have a good template cut out from card board or something, make sure that fit first before cutting the metal. (cut with metal cutter, sissors type)

i was looking to build the box cover (lid) out of thick plastic, but I can't seem to be able to find a big enouf piece...anyway..if you do, let me know

Anh

Last edited by BananaGS; 10-04-01 at 06:57 AM.
Old 10-04-01, 07:21 AM
RacingAristo

You have to be a paid member in order to post image? I'm a paid member and how come the images don't show?
Old 10-04-01, 08:26 AM
BananaGS
Tech Guru

RacingAristo, I am not sure, what i meant by post image is to upload the image to clublexus, and then display it, I think you just made a link to Angelfire.com where I stored the image, then anglefire.com still have control on what to show.

i remembered there used to be a box when you post, you can decide to upload and post a picture on clublexus, that option 's gone for me now. maybe you still have it
Old 10-04-01, 09:54 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

BananaGS,

I have to say, I like the hinges! Those are very trick! Too bad we can't post pics any more...

To all reading this post check out the Subaru Forum...www.i-club.com. Very similar features like this forum - like PM's, e-mail, e-mail notification, posting pics, topical forums, and get this IT'S ALL FREE! Go figure...

Brent
Old 10-04-01, 06:58 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

BananaGS,

Great job on the air box.. Just took a peek at the pics.. How did you go about sealing the edges of the box in order to keep the hot air out.. Kudos again on the DIY project.. I'm too damn lazy to even try.. LOL..

Brent,

I hear ya man.. Sucks that we can't post pics without the membership payment but such is life.. Personally I rather send 30 bucks US to the United Way instead..
Old 10-04-01, 07:22 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Thumbs up

Banana,

"93SC3005spd" built boxes like that for a while... I patterned mine off of his box design as you did too. The hinges need to disappear IMO. The "box" is tight however.... Here's a link to his box and styles!

What guage of aluminum/metal did you use?

*choose "I want more air" and follow the directions! He also has a chart/graph of the results of the temp.

Here's the link: www.mycrobyte.com/lexus

Hey, Savy what's your email address, I had it on my PM...

The Ikon

Old 10-04-01, 07:29 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The Ikon,

Email addy is winegod@look.ca

Talk to you soon!

Ken
Old 10-04-01, 07:58 PM
MGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Nice box but I got a question. The box seals the filter very tightly. Where does the air filter draw the air from?

Quick Reply: just build a cold air box for my car