GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

TTE Lip FITMENT ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 06:40 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

GL,

Molding is filling in the seam of the lip where it meets the OEM body so it looks more like it's one piece. It can be done to different degrees and you put it well when you said 'liquid' as it flows from the car to the lip without a seam.

Here are some pics of mine molded on (no longer on my car). I've seen them done better than mine, but I liked it.

I'm with Bruce - absolutely do not accept the rubber strip option.
Old 07-31-06, 06:48 AM
girlilove
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dave & Bruce,
Thank you for the advices. I think i will have to get my car back from the existing bodyshop first thing tomorrow morning. It seems to me that i have to admit that the leverage of this bodyshop is not there as my Lip is genuine. I still won't believe it is the lip's incompatibility. It is time to switch to another bodyshop and try to mold it correctly.

Will have pics soon should i succeed.
Old 07-31-06, 06:51 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by girlilove
Thanks bruce,

I think i got the idea. But your molded lip looks different from Wringo's. His lip is more liquified? Anyway, the filler used on yours is called "patty" right? will it crack if you scrape or hit something?
granted, you do have to be much more careful about foreign objects in the road and all, but the fit and finish of the molded look is second to none.

Bondo is the first name of a body filler that comes to mind, and as Dave said it can indeed be done to different degrees, depending on how smooth the body guy intends to make it look.
Old 07-31-06, 07:47 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the body shop should have some stronger materials to bond the lip. some people use urethane, which is really strong stuff for windshilds.

i would not use that grey strip because it looks cheap.

the molded look will not be totally smooth like an aftermarket bumper, the lines will be just a bit smoother.
Old 07-31-06, 08:11 AM
girlilove
Driver

Originally Posted by corkycal
the body shop should have some stronger materials to bond the lip. some people use urethane, which is really strong stuff for windshilds.
That's what my existing bodyshop used, it is the bonding used for windshields and the centre bumper part still can't align with the lip!!!urethane is black in colour right?
Old 07-31-06, 08:28 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

That's what my existing bodyshop used, it is the bonding used for windshields and the centre bumper part still can't align with the lip!!!urethane is black in colour right?
girlilove, please take it to another bodyshop. The fact that you are trying to get information on how to attache the TTE lip from people who have had no fitment issues means that your bodyshop has no clue how to do the job right. That is bad news. Honestly, if I were you I would never take the car back there. If they can't do a simple job like attach a front lip, then I shudder to think how bad they would do with a full bodykit or just regular accident work.

You might also want to consider getting your money back. If you paid with credit card you could dispute the charges. If you have not paid them yet, then don't pay them.

Brent
Old 07-31-06, 08:35 AM
girlilove
Driver

Thanks brent,

Apparently, this bodyshop is one of the best in accident repair and customizing wide fender body for tuning cars. They have done some great work for my Greddy lip. It is their first time seeing and installing a TTE lip though. Very disappointed.

I guess you are right, I should move on to a better shop. Unfortunately, i have paid them initially right when i got my car back last week. Big regret!
Old 08-10-06, 04:41 AM
girlilove
Driver

Default Finally TTE!

I have finally installed my TTE Lip on my GS300. Goodbye Greddy..............
Here's pic of the TTE (adhesive install) with my car. I had it lowered yesterday. Still need to clean the car up and polish the rims soon.

I would like to thank everyone for their advice and patience with me!
Attached Thumbnails TTE Lip FITMENT ISSUE-dscn3779a.jpg  
Old 08-10-06, 04:45 AM
girlilove
Driver

And another...

May need to raise the car up a bit, the tyres only have 1.5 finger gaps in the front and 1 finger at the rear. Has occassional scraping at the rear's underneath

By the way, how do you guys upload more than 1 pic in one post?
Attached Thumbnails TTE Lip FITMENT ISSUE-dscn3781a.jpg  
Old 08-10-06, 06:23 AM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

congrats on the TTE install! It looks really clean Now i need more pics of your car
Old 08-10-06, 06:50 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

By the way, how do you guys upload more than 1 pic in one post?[/QUOTE]

you just place the links right below each others and the pictures should appear on one page.

btw, the tte lip looks great and good job with the finish product.
Old 08-10-06, 07:20 AM
upstateGS4
Lexus Champion

And another...

May need to raise the car up a bit, the tyres only have 1.5 finger gaps in the front and 1 finger at the rear. Has occassional scraping at the rear's underneath

you dont use the attach feature like youve been using if you want to post more then one at once... if you have the pics hosted online, then you hit the little image insert button during post creation mode (its the little yellow box with the mountain and the sun in it) and a pop up will show up and you put the link to where ever the pic is online in there... if you dont feel like using that button, surround your link with [img] linkblahblahblahblah [/img] and do that for each one.... easiest way to get the pics online if they are not currently hosted some where is to upload them to your clublexus gallery.. davegs4 (our forum admin) has given us a massively huge amount of free space to host images for this exact purpose (go dave lol ) after you have uploaded the pics, do the same thing with the [img] tags
Old 08-10-06, 10:30 AM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=127587

Are you going to put on the TTE sticker? It seems to be missing. If you don't have it or don't plan to put it on, the shop should have filled the indentation before painting.

In any case, congrats on getting the install resolved.
Old 08-10-06, 10:03 PM
girlilove
Driver

Thank you Neo, Upstate and corky cal for the tips on uploading the pics,

Thank you Markgs for the comments, here are some more pics of the install

Sideways, Do you think the chassis is too low?

Front view;loving it!

Here's a pic of the car a day before it was lowered (notice the front wheels 2.5 finger gap)
https://www.clublexus.com/gallery/data/501/DSCN3730.JPG

And yes Markgs4, I am going to put the TTE decal. Once i have it duplicated, i am sourcing for a printer that can duplicate the exact decal!

Cheers!

Last edited by girlilove; 08-10-06 at 10:24 PM.
Old 08-10-06, 10:27 PM
markgs4
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And yes Markgs4, I am going to put the TTE decal. Once i have it duplicated, i am sourcing for a printer that can duplicate the exact decal!

Cheers!
Thanks for the extra pics...I think the car is sitting just right I think Neo was the one asking about the decal, but that's a cool idea about getting it duplicated...I would never have thought of doing that. Good thing I have my decal to put on my TTE lip once I finally get around to installing it...hopefully this weekend.

Thanks again for the additional pics...great job on the mods

Quick Reply: TTE Lip FITMENT ISSUE