GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

TTE Lip FITMENT ISSUE

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-06, 11:10 PM
girlilove
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TTE Lip FITMENT ISSUE

Thanks you Texas & Wringo for your advice on my last thread.

The reason I am starting this thread is to question all TTE Lip owners; when your TTE Lip arrived, were there any fluctuations in the linings of the lip e.g. some certain areas seem to be more thicker than some certain area; that's what my body shop told me that is why my lip can seem to fit perfectly at the centre of the front bumper.

Therefore he has to grind the uneven lining area with a sand paper. The TTE Lip is genuine though. Has anyone ever had this problem with their new TTE Lip?
Old 07-29-06, 12:45 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

NOPE....mines was good.

Pete
Old 07-29-06, 05:20 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

No problems
Old 07-29-06, 07:09 AM
girlilove
Driver

Hmm..
I wonder why he did not succeed in installing during the first attempt?
Attached Thumbnails TTE Lip FITMENT ISSUE-dscn3714a.jpg  
Old 07-29-06, 07:58 AM
usmarines
Driver

nope mine was good too
Old 07-29-06, 08:08 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Maybe he forgot to use tape? I had no problems when i received mine.. I had mine molded in so Not sure if there where fitment issues... Post some pics when you get everything tightened up.. GL

Tony
Old 07-29-06, 08:39 AM
corkycal
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it's all in the prep work. some people use stronger adhesive to make sure it bonds better. a lot of people use extra tape for a tighter bond.
Old 07-29-06, 11:04 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by girlilove
Hmm..
I wonder why he did not succeed in installing during the first attempt?
I had no fitment issues either with my TTE lip.

I think your bodyshop did a bad job installing it and they are trying to find excuses to appease you. I would have them take it back and do it right. To do it right, my body shop used brackets to support the lip. I believe your bodyshop decided to take shortcuts installing it to save costs and increase their profit margin. Good luck getting it fixed - I think you have a great case for them to redo it!

Brent

Last edited by BLiu; 07-29-06 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-30-06, 10:53 PM
girlilove
Driver

Thanks for the comments guys,

I was at my body shop again an hour ago. It seems that the centre area of the lip can't seem to attach to the bumper. The bodyshop guy said he even used strong tapes to hold it against the bumper and they could bond but eventually come off (the lip & the bumper centre area) because the lip is urethane (they claimed) so therefore the silicone cannot hold it.

I had the lip removed from the bumper later this afternoon and see it for myself as default to see whether i could attach it though there shall be a lot of scraping of dead adhesive silicone. Besides the adhesive silicone, any suggested material as a substitute? maybe it is the reason why the lip cannot be attached? or is there a correct method to install it whereby the front/centre does not protude out?

I love the TTE lip but it is too bad this is a very unpleasant experience.

Appreciate the feedback

Last edited by girlilove; 07-31-06 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-31-06, 04:45 AM
girlilove
Driver

The bodyshop proposed to mold it in using a grey rubber tape; the the lip will look something like below, you could see the grey linings along the lip as they recommended not to paint it cause the paint will not last on the grey rubber.

How do you guys go around molding your TTE Lip? How could I align the lip to the bumper without going for molding? Aaaargghhh

Please give me feedback as i have about 16 hrs before i confirm my decision
Attached Thumbnails TTE Lip FITMENT ISSUE-dscn3712a.jpg  

Last edited by girlilove; 07-31-06 at 04:59 AM.
Old 07-31-06, 05:55 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

please take some friendly advice and just get the lip molded on.

1) it will be a much cleaner look

2) after having my lip ripped off various times by highway debris before having it molded, it was the only logical choice

3) these lips almost NEVER have fitment issues...I would request from the bodyshop that they do the molding without charging you extra, or at the very least give you a cost break since they did not install this properly the first time.
Old 07-31-06, 06:02 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,240 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Personally, I'd either 1) go to another bodyshop for a second opinion or 2) Send the lip back for a second one that fits better
Old 07-31-06, 06:04 AM
girlilove
Driver

Yep bruce,

They gonna do it at a cost price for the rubber strip. Can you post a pic of your molded lip? I m not familiar with molding as they showed my the rubber strip that gonna run over the "gaps" and this strip cannot be painted over. So there will be a grey lining along the lip (like the chrome strips that runs along my bumper)

So i am confused what is molding.... pardon my ignorance
Old 07-31-06, 06:13 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by girlilove
Yep bruce,

They gonna do it at a cost price for the rubber strip. Can you post a pic of your molded lip? I m not familiar with molding as they showed my the rubber strip that gonna run over the "gaps" and this strip cannot be painted over. So there will be a grey lining along the lip (like the chrome strips that runs along my bumper)

So i am confused what is molding.... pardon my ignorance
PLEASE do not let them use a rubber strip. It will look like CRAP, seriously. If they cant do this job right, go somewhere else. thats what i did. Molding is when they use body filler to seal any space between the piece and the bumper itself and then paint over it. It is the most professional and clean way to do this job. It ends up looking like it is actually part of the bumper.

Not sure if you can really see here, but this gives you an idea:

also do a quick search for "molded TTE lip" or something similar for some closer pics
Old 07-31-06, 06:30 AM
girlilove
Driver

Thanks bruce,

I think i got the idea. But your molded lip looks different from Wringo's. His lip is more liquified? Anyway, the filler used on yours is called "patty" right? will it crack if you scrape or hit something?

Quick Reply: TTE Lip FITMENT ISSUE