GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How inconvenient is your rear strut bar?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-06, 01:47 AM
djjt
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How inconvenient is your rear strut bar?

Just wondering how inconvenient that rear strut bar can be after the install. Do you really lose a lot of space? is it a pain in the *ss to drop a friend off at an airport since you got this thin bar that goes across?

perhaps the benefit of having a rear strut tower outweighs the loss of space part?

what do you guys think?
Old 07-30-06, 07:29 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't have the rear strut bar but I do have a sub box back there and it depends on your willingness to lose that space for your mods. The trunk space isn't that big to begin with but you can still fit some decent size things back there.
Old 07-30-06, 08:21 AM
TexasGS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have never had any issues with the truck strut bar and not fitting things into the trunk. Sometimes it actually helps hold small things back there .
Old 07-31-06, 12:34 AM
TexasLex
Pole Position

I recall that my bar does not affect the main trunk area because it crosses the slightly elevated area at the rear of the trunk and even then it does not block this area from use. So, I would say the benefits of tighter handling far outweigh any minor loss of trunk space. Plus, if worse came to worse, you could always just take out the two bolts holding the cross bar and remove it if you had some odd shaped very large item than you needed to cary in your trunk.
Old 01-05-10, 05:53 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thread Bump

Yeah yeah yeah it's from '06 but it never really got enough responses and I need more input. I would like to tighten my suspension up better than OEM standards starting off with strut bars. We all know that the GS trunk space is not great so will having a rear stb lessen my trunk space even more? I do have to use my trunk from time to time for luggage and what not. I don't care if it's a Tein, UGO, Cusco stb share your experience.
Old 01-05-10, 07:03 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I heard STBs on our car don't make a whole helluva lot of a difference, but I don't remember from where.

How in the name of Pete does the Lexus GS not have enough trunk space?? Maybe you guys should consider an RX or GX!?!
Old 01-05-10, 08:34 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard that it doesnt make a difference in the front, but it does in the back. I installed mine after I bagged my car, so I dont know... And sadly the GS doesnt have much trunk space.. If only the seats folded down
Old 01-05-10, 09:48 PM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
How in the name of Pete does the Lexus GS not have enough trunk space?? Maybe you guys should consider an RX or GX!?!
?? thanks kinda what I thought.. When I got the GS I was thinking damn this trunk is more than large enough for most normal errands..

This seems like a good spot to post a pic I took on 64 eastbound near VA Beach a couple years ago.

Celica carrying a jet ski in the trunk! Of course it needed a CB antenna too..

If this guy can rock a jet ski in a celica trunk, you guys should beable haul almost anything in ur GS with or without the strut bar!?
Old 01-06-10, 05:45 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Another thread back from the dead LOL...
Old 01-06-10, 08:11 AM
DJ420
Pole Position

I wondered the same, because I cant fit the rear brace in my GS4, due to the custom sub box built into the trunk. I noticed a difference in my Maxima, which is braced up to hell and back! But not willing to sacrifice the sub box in the GS.. lol.
Old 01-06-10, 09:12 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by DJ420
I wondered the same, because I cant fit the rear brace in my GS4, due to the custom sub box built into the trunk. I noticed a difference in my Maxima, which is braced up to hell and back! But not willing to sacrifice the sub box in the GS.. lol.
You can build a sub box around the strut bar.. I think i've seen it done.. other than that theres plenty of room for things
Old 01-06-10, 12:43 PM
MrG4Life
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
I heard STBs on our car don't make a whole helluva lot of a difference, but I don't remember from where.

It helps but replacing the stock sway bars is even better. Although the trunk space is not big, I will not switch over to a SUV. That's besides the point, I was asking if a rear stb restricts you lets say for when you need to haul luggage. It's that extra space in the back which has helped me a lot when lugging things.

Originally Posted by 99 GS3
If this guy can rock a jet ski in a celica trunk, you guys should beable haul almost anything in ur GS with or without the strut bar!?
Again, it's not about how much you can stuff in the trunk. I pretty sure I can fit a jet ski in there and tie the trunk lid down
Originally Posted by tmf2004
Another thread back from the dead LOL...
TMF I knew you were gonna post this
Originally Posted by DJ420
I've seen pics in this forum of it being done before.
Old 01-06-10, 01:14 PM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have my sub and amp in that spot so i am not able to use the rear strut bar. And i really didn't want to cut into the trim in the rear.
Old 01-06-10, 06:17 PM
Rides Low
Former Sponsor

i had to take mine off because of the air suspension.