GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How does Lexus GS compare to other sporty luxury cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 11:23 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
I'm a bit confused by this statement unless you're talking about a 300. my 430 is beast on the interstate! from 80 to 130 takes little time and effort.
so is mine
Old 07-31-06, 11:31 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

0-50 km/h(0-31mph): ~2.2-2.5 seconds .. iam not sure exactly !
0-100 km/h(0-62mph): ~6.1 sec .. i guess 0-60 will be less than 6 seconds
0-160 km/h(0-100mph): ~14.3 sec
0-200 km/h (0-124mph) ~24.6 sec
These are all approximate but it will at least give you a range. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=0-100

My 430 is also a beast over 80mph
Old 07-31-06, 11:42 AM
RacerLex
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BMW really is the ultimate driving machine; I would be driving an M5 right now if the reliability and long term ownership costs weren't so freakn ridiculous. You can upgrade most of the GS' weak points (handling for example) and still have retain the smooth ride and reliability. If you're not one to own a car past it's warranty period and don't like modding, you might want to consider BMW.

Did I just say that?
Old 07-31-06, 11:43 AM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckb
I'm a bit confused by this statement unless you're talking about a 300. my 430 is beast on the interstate! from 80 to 130 takes little time and effort.
just to clarify, my username says 300 which i used to own, but i currently own a gs400. i've owned a few 400+rwhp cars and personally the gs400 accelerates quite slowly above 80mph. remember i'm not comparing to an accord or camry here, of course it's quicker than those but they are hardly sporty. compared to more sporty cars i find it slow. the other thing that i didn't mention before is the lack of a manual transmission. it's kinda hard to want to qualify as "sporty" with an automatic transmission.

i'm not knocking the gs4 guys it's a wonderful car, but there a LOT of cars that would outperform it on a racetrack.
Old 07-31-06, 11:45 AM
skeet94
Driver

Originally Posted by RacerLex
BMW really is the ultimate driving machine; I would be driving an M5 right now if the reliability and long term ownership costs weren't so freakn ridiculous. You can upgrade most of the GS' weak points (handling for example) and still have retain the smooth ride and reliability. If you're not one to own a car past it's warranty period and don't like modding, you might want to consider BMW.

Did I just say that?
Wish I was a Mod, I'd ban you for blasphemy!! hahaha...I do agree with you though . Alot of people are simply not into modding cars and well lets be honest, a BMW is not easy to mod either mostly due to costs.
Old 07-31-06, 11:47 AM
sbgs400
Pole Position

the published numbers that i've seen say 1/4 mile in 14.2 secs (with a trap speed in the 90s) and 0-100 in 15.1 sec. there are several CL members that have posted their own 1/4 mile runs in the 14.x sec range (as well as some in the 15.x sec range).
Old 07-31-06, 11:52 AM
oohpapi44
Lexus Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the published numbers that i've seen say 1/4 mile in 14.2 secs (with a trap speed in the 90s) and 0-100 in 15.1 sec. there are several CL members that have posted their own 1/4 mile runs in the 14.x sec range (as well as some in the 15.x sec range).
Not sure about your argument, I don't think any of us are walking around saying we have the ultimate luxury sedan but a stock 14 second car is nothing to laugh at. So when you are comparing those number to other LUXURY cars, you're adding on at least 10-20k to come up with an equivalent. Which goes back to the OP question in terms of comparison, for 20k less you can get a luxury car that won't get sneezed off the track. And let's not forget that we are comparing 2 gen numbers to much more recent cars.
Old 07-31-06, 11:52 AM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by RacerLex
BMW really is the ultimate driving machine; I would be driving an M5 right now if the reliability and long term ownership costs weren't so freakn ridiculous.
bingo....that to me is the biggest selling point for the gs4, there is nothing in it's class that is nearly as reliable.
Old 07-31-06, 11:55 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sbgs300
i've owned a few 400+rwhp cars and personally the gs400 accelerates quite slowly above 80mph. .
the GS is not a sportscar by any means but it is sporty for a lexus

how can you compare a stock GS4xx to a 400+rwhp car? nobody is saying it should beat a ZO6.
compared to most stock sport sedans though, the GS is still a beast on the highway.
Old 07-31-06, 12:01 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sbgs300
just to clarify, my username says 300 which i used to own, but i currently own a gs400. i've owned a few 400+rwhp cars and personally the gs400 accelerates quite slowly above 80mph. remember i'm not comparing to an accord or camry here, of course it's quicker than those but they are hardly sporty. compared to more sporty cars i find it slow. the other thing that i didn't mention before is the lack of a manual transmission. it's kinda hard to want to qualify as "sporty" with an automatic transmission.

i'm not knocking the gs4 guys it's a wonderful car, but there a LOT of cars that would outperform it on a racetrack.
It is easy for guys to say that their car is fast above 80. Drive other Luxury sport sedans with a v8 for comparison, and see if you have the same reaction. Get behind the wheel of the Caddy CTS-V, Audi RS4. Thes are two luxury sport sedans that I have driven. Both cars make the GS4 look like a Toyota Corolla as far as speed. Both are stick though. haaaaa.
Old 07-31-06, 12:15 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by skeet94
Weight Distribution is supposed to be as good as a 5 series, it's just the fact that the GS has a very soft suspension from factory, with ALOT of body roll and lack of feedback.

Then again you can also go and buy a GS cheaper than the equivalent 5 series, have better reliability and money you save can be used towards coilovers and braces and it'll out maneouvre a 5 series for the same money .

Although technically not a apples to apples comparison, price-wise it definitely is with the above mods!! Not to mention stick some nice wheels on the GS and a nice drop is all it needs to look drop dead gorgeous!! If only Lexus had done these mods from the factory or given it as a Extreme Sport Tuned version it definitely would've stolen sales from BMW. The best of both worlds - reliability of Lexus/Toyota with the Handling/Feel of a BMW.
Have you driven a BMW 5 series (the sport version)? If you have you will know that adding coilovers and braces is not enough to make a GS handle like a Bimmer.

You cannot replicate the "feel" of a BMW's superior chassis dynamics just by adding coilovers and braces.
Old 07-31-06, 12:19 PM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
It is easy for guys to say that their car is fast above 80. Drive other Luxury sport sedans with a v8 for comparison, and see if you have the same reaction. Get behind the wheel of the Caddy CTS-V, Audi RS4. Thes are two luxury sport sedans that I have driven. Both cars make the GS4 look like a Toyota Corolla as far as speed. Both are stick though. haaaaa.
i've driven the rs4, it's very quick and handles decently despite being very heavy. handling is one aspect of sportyness that i think lots of folks often underestimate. a 280hp car with superior handling characteristics will usually turn better lap times than a 300hp car with poor handling.
Old 07-31-06, 12:27 PM
skeet94
Driver

Originally Posted by Hameed
Have you driven a BMW 5 series (the sport version)? If you have you will know that adding coilovers and braces is not enough to make a GS handle like a Bimmer.

You cannot replicate the "feel" of a BMW's superior chassis dynamics just by adding coilovers and braces.
You can't replicate the feel but you're almost there, and yeah I have driven a BMW not the latest one but the model beforehand. A 530i Sport, the feedback was great, but I've also driven a true Tein Flex, Toms Braced, Doluck underbraced GS300 and 90% of the feeling of a BMW was there. What was missing is the steering feel. To be frank I'm willing to give up that 10% of feel for the reliability aspect when compared to having the 100% feel of the BMW with owning one. Anymore questions?
Old 07-31-06, 12:33 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You can't replicate the feel but you're almost there, and yeah I have driven a BMW not the latest one but the model beforehand. A 530i Sport, the feedback was great, but I've also driven a true Tein Flex, Toms Braced, Doluck underbraced GS300 and 90% of the feeling of a BMW was there. What was missing is the steering feel. To be frank I'm willing to give up that 10% of feel for the reliability aspect when compared to having the 100% feel of the BMW with owning one. Anymore questions?
I'll take an m5 please.......
Old 07-31-06, 01:27 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 301 Likes on 181 Posts

You can't replicate the feel but you're almost there, and yeah I have driven a BMW not the latest one but the model beforehand. A 530i Sport, the feedback was great, but I've also driven a true Tein Flex, Toms Braced, Doluck underbraced GS300 and 90% of the feeling of a BMW was there. What was missing is the steering feel.
My point exactly.

Quick Reply: How does Lexus GS compare to other sporty luxury cars?