GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How does Lexus GS compare to other sporty luxury cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-06, 01:43 PM
skeet94
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hameed
My point exactly.
Not to sound offensive, but where in my original post did I say steering feel will be sorted out? I'm sorry but I suggest you read through my post again . Nitpick away.

Chassis feedback will be near enough a BMW but steering feel is what will be missing hence the 90%, and I'm happy with the 90% (potential) as I'm sure alot of people are, including yourself.
Old 07-31-06, 02:07 PM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 292 Likes on 175 Posts

^^
1. You said you can replicate the feel/handling of a BMW by adding coilovers and braces to a GS.

2. I said you can't.

3. You agreed and said you can come close.

Coming close is NOT the same as replicating.

End of story. My post was not meant to attack you personally, but to point out the wrong statement you made. Plain and simple.

Now let's move on and enjoy our Lexus GS's and stop getting hung up about comparing it to a BMW.
Old 07-31-06, 02:21 PM
skeet94
Driver

Again I say and I quote myself...

"where in my original post did I say steering feel will be sorted out?" . Steering feel is only part of the equation, I'm referring to chassis response, which would be up there with the BMW. It's as an overall car where the steering response would affect you, but then that can be tweaked as well if you want. A BMW is not the be-end-of all cars, that no other luxury sports sedan cannot match. It can be done and I don't think you have much of an idea as to how much the Do-Luck underbracing affects chassis response in a car? Try getting a ride in a JDM Aristo and you'll see how much different just the stock steering has, hell try it with a JDM Mk1 Aristo, you'll notice the difference.

That's all I'm going to say...and to be honest I'm glad it doesn't feel like a BMW in the first place...why? We'd all be driving something else apart from a Lexus. If everyone wanted the same things in life it would get really boring really fast. Why did we buy a Lexus? To be different from the BMW crowd and to have a unique car that surpasses everything in luxury with performance to boot, but with reliability.

EDIT: Just for the record, I drive a MK2 Aristo which does have a different feel to the standard GS300 in terms of handling. Try taking your GS430/400 to top end and take it around bends at that same speed...no doubt you'll lose control or experience VERY bad body roll. I've done it and am proud that it was easy as pie, car went where I wanted, when I did. No excessive body roll or anything, although it did exist. No loss of feeling, could feel everything through the steering wheel although not as much as a BMW but then again, if you want that in a GS you'll want M/T too. Why? To get more of an involved experience you cannot possibly drive a slushbox with BMW handling - it's just not doing any justice to the driver involvement. Now that's only going to get better with more suspension mods and larger wheels up front as well as stiffer coilovers.

Just my tuppence worth, I'm off to sleep now so goodnight! .

Last edited by skeet94; 07-31-06 at 02:27 PM.
Old 07-31-06, 05:08 PM
RacerLex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by skeet94
It can be done and I don't think you have much of an idea as to how much the Do-Luck underbracing affects chassis response in a car? Try getting a ride in a JDM Aristo and you'll see how much different just the stock steering has, hell try it with a JDM Mk1 Aristo, you'll notice the difference.
Not to hijack this thread but can you elaborate about the Do-Luck braces as well as the differences between an Aristo steering and a GS? I've heard about Tom's braces is all...
Old 08-01-06, 01:38 AM
skeet94
Driver

The Aristo has much more beefy Suspension arms than the stock GS300, in the front. This also helps the steering feel a great deal. The rear has ARS capability, which helps handling at lower speeds and makes your turning circle smaller considerably, although has a knack of dying after certain mileage and depending on your driving style more aggressive you drive.

Do Luck underfloor Bracing is available from the following site:

http://www.do-luck.co.uk/fsb.htm

Hope that helps .
Old 08-01-06, 05:19 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Hameed
Have you driven a BMW 5 series (the sport version)? If you have you will know that adding coilovers and braces is not enough to make a GS handle like a Bimmer.

You cannot replicate the "feel" of a BMW's superior chassis dynamics just by adding coilovers and braces.
I disagree. To me what you cannot replicate is the feel from the steering wheel. You add coils and braces and your GS WILL outhandle a BMW.

Having now driven stock and modded of both cars including manual 540s, I stand firm in my assesment.

IMO, the main ingredient missing from the GS is the steering.

One other item I noticed is the GS makes 100mph look like a piece of cake. Its eerily quiet, even with an exhaust. In the BMW, you feel like your going 100mph. I am not saying its a bad thing, there is a difference though.
Old 08-01-06, 06:18 PM
JCHO
Rookie

I think GS4 is sporty enough. I guess it all depends on personal preferrance. One thing I can tell you is that Lexus AC is one of the best around! Bar none.

I can't compare sportiness of my GS with M5, M6 or AMGs but they will all agree that my GS has the best AC in this town. I am the poorest of co workers and my co workers have all the cars I just mentioned. BUT these co workers (friends) all agree that I have the COOLEST CAR around.

It is hot out there!!
Old 08-02-06, 05:31 AM
skeet94
Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
One other item I noticed is the GS makes 100mph look like a piece of cake. Its eerily quiet, even with an exhaust. In the BMW, you feel like your going 100mph. I am not saying its a bad thing, there is a difference though.
I definitely agree with you - even at 155mph (limited top speed on the Aristo) the car was awfully quiet, had to put the windows down all around to not freak out cos of the silence.
Old 08-02-06, 07:56 AM
AW99GS400
Pole Position

I worked for BMW for many years and still am. My general mgr asked me why dont i drive a BMW? I told him why would i want to lower my standards , i am very busy with life as is dont have the time to worry about serviceing the car every other week He respect my opinion,
i make a living selling Bimmers doesnt mean i have to drive one. I have driven Z8(preown) , M3 , M5, M6 whenever i want , i have to agree BMW is the best handling car money can buy from the factory. But as far as dollar for dollar cant beat a Lexus, i love my 99 Gs400 and styling (i think the new 2006-2007 BMW looks ugly to me ).

Adrian
Old 08-02-06, 08:58 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JoeJ
How does Lexus GS compare to other sporty luxury cars (such as Mercedes, BMW, and Jaguar)? What are the GS's advantages and disadvantages over those makes?

Lexus has been ranked #1 in reliability for many years, according to Consumer Reports. I wonder why anyone would buy any other car instead of a Lexus. The Lexus GS is similar in price to the BMW 3-series (a tiny cramped car in which I would feel unsafe in the event of an accident), yet seems to be similar in size and luxury feel as the more expensive 5-series. Hence, the Lexus GS seems to be a great value.

Those are just my observations. I am no car expert. I can't even drive stick-shift.
You're pretty much on the mark.

Just remember above all Lexus delivers "luxury", "reliability", and "safety" first. With the GS you get that plus "sporty" styling.

So the reason someone would buy a BMW over a Lexus is a matter of preference...they'll sacrifice some "reliability and luxury" for more "sporty".
Old 08-02-06, 09:36 AM
Pribyl400
Driver School Candidate

Default Lex Vs. BMW

I drive a 98 GS 400 and love it. My fiancee bought a 2006 530XI last July. Each car has its high point. The Lexus puts you back in your seat off the line and the BMW has decent pace ( Her car is all wheel drive, the 0-60 times of the 530I does not vary much). But when it comes to handling the same corners with speed the BMW will out run the GS comfortably. I can take freeway ramps in Chicago at 60 MPH with ease in the BMW that I dont feel comfortable taking in my GS at 50 MPH. The BMW doesnt "dip" around curves. With my fairly new tires on GS they squeal while turning hard the BMW doesnt even produce a hum even at 5-10 mph faster... Granted if you spend the money on new suspension you can do just about anything with the GS400. Now in response to the guy who works for BMW... YOU HIT IT RIGHT ON!!! The computer system in the 530XI (w/ the I-drive) has control of everything in the car. I have brought her car in about 5 times since Feb. to have bugs worked out of the system. Ghost error messages drive me insane. The car is literally like a PC... It has errors and needs to be reset... UNFORTUNATLY I CAN JUST PULL THE PLUG!!! Taking a car in for half a day to reset and reboot the system is irritating... Just my 2 cents... Love the lexus reliablity and ya gotta love a car that will put ya back in your seat when ya punch it..