GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

How does Lexus GS compare to other sporty luxury cars?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-06, 08:20 PM
JoeJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How does Lexus GS compare to other sporty luxury cars?

How does Lexus GS compare to other sporty luxury cars (such as Mercedes, BMW, and Jaguar)? What are the GS's advantages and disadvantages over those makes?

Lexus has been ranked #1 in reliability for many years, according to Consumer Reports. I wonder why anyone would buy any other car instead of a Lexus. The Lexus GS is similar in price to the BMW 3-series (a tiny cramped car in which I would feel unsafe in the event of an accident), yet seems to be similar in size and luxury feel as the more expensive 5-series. Hence, the Lexus GS seems to be a great value.

Those are just my observations. I am no car expert. I can't even drive stick-shift.
Old 07-30-06, 08:56 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeJ
How does Lexus GS compare to other sporty luxury cars (such as Mercedes, BMW, and Jaguar)? What are the GS's advantages and disadvantages over those makes?

Lexus has been ranked #1 in reliability for many years, according to Consumer Reports. I wonder why anyone would buy any other car instead of a Lexus. The Lexus GS is similar in price to the BMW 3-series (a tiny cramped car in which I would feel unsafe in the event of an accident), yet seems to be similar in size and luxury feel as the more expensive 5-series. Hence, the Lexus GS seems to be a great value.

Those are just my observations. I am no car expert. I can't even drive stick-shift.
Your observations are dead on, and then add greater reliability, cheaper repair costs, and IMO overall better built quality and you get a great value.
Old 07-30-06, 09:06 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

The GS being a "sporty" luxury car controversial. There is nothing about the GS that indicate it being "sporty", except lexus' marketing. If having RWD and V8 is what makes it sporty, then I guess a Mercury Grand Marquis is a sporty luxury car With that being said, if you want the sportiness, you're better off with a BMW 5-series. If you want a luxury cruiser, the GS is great.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page.
Old 07-30-06, 09:19 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
The GS being a "sporty" luxury car controversial. There is nothing about the GS that indicate it being "sporty", except lexus' marketing. If having RWD and V8 is what makes it sporty, then I guess a Mercury Grand Marquis is a sporty luxury car With that being said, if you want the sportiness, you're better off with a BMW 5-series. If you want a luxury cruiser, the GS is great.
GS not sporty? Drive an LS and then tell me the GS isnt sporty And I wouldn't compare GS to a Grand Marquis, even the LS is sportier than Grand Marquis. IMO the GS is just right about on par with 5 series - they are both "sporty" pigs.
Old 07-30-06, 09:23 PM
GSteg
Rookie

which is why this is controversal.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Old 07-30-06, 09:29 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Well, the way I see it - if you want sporty, get an S2000. If you want luxury - get LS430. You can get a GS430 if you can't afford the LS
Old 07-31-06, 08:42 AM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

my opinion will probably be controversial on this board....but imho the only thing sporty about the gs400 is that it's got pretty good acceleration below 80mph and decent brakes. above 80mph the acceleration is not that great. handling is not that good, too much body roll/flex and understeer. nevertheless i still like my gs4.
Old 07-31-06, 08:59 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sbgs300
my opinion will probably be controversial on this board....but imho the only thing sporty about the gs400 is that it's got pretty good acceleration below 80mph and decent brakes. above 80mph the acceleration is not that great. handling is not that good, too much body roll/flex and understeer. nevertheless i still like my gs4.
I don't know, mine pulls to 120 with ease... cant complain at all.
Old 07-31-06, 09:05 AM
sbgs400
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

oh it'll get to 120 just fine, it's just not fast getting there. consider this, the 0-60 time for the gs400 is in the mid 5s, that's pretty quick, but the 0-100 time is over 15 sec, that is not what i consider sporty performance. of course i'm probably biased because i've owned several sports cars that were considerably quicker.
Old 07-31-06, 09:35 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Thats' what I've noticed too. while it's damn quick, the top end isn't as great. The V8 seems to be mostly about midrange power. I believe the IS350 has more top end power than the GS' V8.

1999 Lexus GS400
-Stock

Old 07-31-06, 09:39 AM
Alexusoftime
Lead Lap

I dont think sporty always has to refer to the engine, I think its all about the handling and out of the box the bmw 5series has better handling then the gs, I think ever1 would agree on that. Driving it like a sport car doesnt mean gunning on a straight away. If it is might as well called it a muscle car.
Old 07-31-06, 10:07 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

BMW sets the bar for luxury sports sedans (out of the box hands down). Lexus needs a lot of work in the suspension and weight distribution department to meet or exceed BMW.
Old 07-31-06, 10:22 AM
skeet94
Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
BMW sets the bar for luxury sports sedans (out of the box hands down). Lexus needs a lot of work in the suspension and weight distribution department to meet or exceed BMW.
Weight Distribution is supposed to be as good as a 5 series, it's just the fact that the GS has a very soft suspension from factory, with ALOT of body roll and lack of feedback.

Then again you can also go and buy a GS cheaper than the equivalent 5 series, have better reliability and money you save can be used towards coilovers and braces and it'll out maneouvre a 5 series for the same money .

Although technically not a apples to apples comparison, price-wise it definitely is with the above mods!! Not to mention stick some nice wheels on the GS and a nice drop is all it needs to look drop dead gorgeous!! If only Lexus had done these mods from the factory or given it as a Extreme Sport Tuned version it definitely would've stolen sales from BMW. The best of both worlds - reliability of Lexus/Toyota with the Handling/Feel of a BMW.
Old 07-31-06, 11:02 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

oh it'll get to 120 just fine, it's just not fast getting there. consider this, the 0-60 time for the gs400 is in the mid 5s, that's pretty quick, but the 0-100 time is over 15 sec, that is not what i consider sporty performance. of course i'm probably biased because i've owned several sports cars that were considerably quicker.
15 seconds??? no freaking way, should be much quicker than that. Doesnt it go 1/4 mile in mid 14s at over 100 mph?
Old 07-31-06, 11:14 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

above 80mph the acceleration is not that great. .
I'm a bit confused by this statement unless you're talking about a 300. my 430 is beast on the interstate! from 80 to 130 takes little time and effort.

Quick Reply: How does Lexus GS compare to other sporty luxury cars?