GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help!!!! Pinging at hard acceleration above 4,000 RPM!! (2001 GS430)

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-06, 04:47 PM
LEXSOOS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn it, just get Chevy....................
Old 10-31-06, 05:03 PM
HI98GS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't read all the replies on this thread, but your catalytic converters or somewhere along the exhaust could be clogged causing very poor flow. Easy way to check is have someone stand by the exhaust and slowly rev the motor. The airflow should continously increase (obviously) My buddy has a supercharged IS and it was pinging really bad until we took out the cat and now no more ping. We checked everything (timing, fuel, ignition and even went to higher octane (100)) Now no ping on 92 octane.
Old 10-31-06, 07:19 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^good suggestion. it's got to be something simple.
Old 11-20-06, 06:35 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well, I think I've figured it out. I replaced my K&N filter with Lexus OEM filter, and cleaner my mass airflow sensor (MAF) with CRC cleaner. Reset the ecu and no more pinging. Apparently the oil from the K&N filter got onto the MAF, and it wasn't reporting correct reading the the ECU. The $500 that I spent to reprogram the ECU were wasted
Old 07-10-08, 05:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Woah!!! The pinging is back

I'm laughing at myself right now for buying a Lexus... seriously, silly me thinking a glorified Toyota is a real premium car. Yeah, right. I'm done with Lexus/Toyota. The next car I buy will be from a reputable auto maker. Lexus/Toyota should go back to flipping burgers, they are the fast food of the auto industry.
Old 07-11-08, 06:06 AM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^kthxbye.
Old 07-11-08, 06:16 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Woah!!! The pinging is back

I'm laughing at myself right now for buying a Lexus... seriously, silly me thinking a glorified Toyota is a real premium car. Yeah, right. I'm done with Lexus/Toyota. The next car I buy will be from a reputable auto maker. Lexus/Toyota should go back to flipping burgers, they are the fast food of the auto industry.
...well, your initial post mentioned that you had 78K miles and that was 2 years ago. I guess it's safe to say that you now have ~100K miles on it. I don't give a $h1t...any car that you buy after 100,000 miles will have a slight ping here and there at a MINIMUM. If this is the most of your worries then you doing pretty good on a 100K mile car.

BTW I LOVE fast food! You can even tell by my avatar
Old 07-11-08, 06:43 AM
sojah
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey och this may sound biased on a lexus blog and all but i think toyota is the best car company in the world... show me another company that even compares. i am sitting at 100k miles right now and my 99 gs 400 is still mechanically sound.

i have had a 1st gen 90 mitsubishi eclipse with over 100k miles (sort of a piece of junk past 85k miles)

i had an old ford ranger passed from my father to me with over 100k and it ran about the same as the eclipse

i had an acura/ honda integra in japan with over 100k miles it was a big piece of junk half the time..

i had a nissan/ infiniti gloria also in japan with well over 100k miles and engine was pretty good but had some electrical issues with wiring n such, body was in pretty good shape, i say closest to toyota so far...

i had a jeep grand cherokee with like 55k miles and this vehicle had way to many problems to mention, but engine was strong, car body and parts were all junk n a half... and then some...

i had a dodge neon with like 90k miles and engine was fine but power steering and other car realated issues and parts had to be replaced.

i've never owned a mercedes or a jag but my mother drove a bmw for a while that was pretty sound until they changed up their line recently which i hear is not as strong as it once was.

all i've had to replace so far on my car which was not regular maintenance was a starter... but good luck with your next car choice, i think you may find that the grass always appears greener at first glance...!

oh yeah and my wife currently drives a scion xa (toyota) and this car is wonderful so far... way to go toyota!
Old 09-14-20, 05:24 PM
Markvasque
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Hey, thanks a lot for the post. I will defenately keep an eye on this issue, and hopefully it doesn't come back. Right now the car has just under 80k, and otherwise than this pinging issue its running great. It didn't have a loss of power or rough idle or anything.

Reason I'm saying that I'm stupid, is because I didn't try resetting the ECU myself before I took it to the shop. It was kind of silly of me, because I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to cars, I worked on my cars before, and I was actually thinking about trying to reset the ECU before taking it to the shop, but then I decided not to, figuring that it would be better if they test it the way it is. But then, I doubt it was just a matter of resetting the ECU, because it wasn't some minor pinging, it was pinging mixed with loud *** cracks, that sounded like someone threw rocks into the engine bay. Plus its a fairly reputable shop that was recommended to me by a friend who has a hobby of re-building GM muscle cars (caprices, impalas) from junked cars and parts, and he uses that shop quite often and they are usually very good at detecting issues with his cars. So yeah, I want to believe they actually did have the ECU reprogrammed. How much would Lexus dealer charge to reprogram the ECU?

I know what you are saying about spark plugs, carbon build up, etc, and I agree with yout 100%, but I'm not really planning to keep the car for over 100K, in fact if my budget allows I will be trading it in for a SC430 with no more than 50k in the near future. I might do the spark plugs myself, because thats relatively easy, but throttle body and carbon cleaning is a pain in the ***. I also have a 94 LS400 with just over 100k on the clock, and it has a slight pinging issue at hard acceleration between 2600-3200 rpm, and over the past two weekends I removed and cleaned MAF and throttle body and did a complete tune up including plugs, wires, distrubutor caps and rotors, but the issue persisted. I'm thinking about running seafoam and cleaning PVC valve before I take it for diagnostics. I just bought the car a few month ago, it's in a pretty good condition, but previous owners apparently didn't maintain it much. The timing belt was replaced at 80k, so thats a relief, but spark plugs and wires were still original.
pinging did you ever get it totally fixed?
Old 09-14-20, 08:02 PM
firelizard

Received 444 Likes on 352 Posts

1. This thread is twelve years old
2. They answered that, you need to read to the end