GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Anybody own both SC430 and GS300? Need help on purchase

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-06, 05:11 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Received 118 Likes on 93 Posts
Default Anybody own both SC430 and GS300? Need help on purchase

Hey guys, Im posting this up in the GS forums because there is much more traffic here than there is in the SC forums. Well, I current own a second generation GS300 and am thinking about purchasing an SC430 as a replacement for the GS300. I am going off to college and am thinking about this car as a replacement because I have to give my GS300 to my sister. How does the GS compare to the SC in terms of reliability, safety, gas mileage, comfort. I will by driving this car for about 3 hours at a time and I may be carrying people with me for the trip. I need a fairly reliable car that doesn't cost way too much to maintain. And the back seats seem very cramped to me, how are they at fitting people in there. Thank you. Oh and the people that would ride along arent going to be very big or anything .. about 5.5ft - 6ft tall and 100lbs - 160lbs. How would those back seats fit people around that size. Thank you very much.
Old 08-02-06, 06:25 PM
usmarines
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have both you can't really fit anyone in the back, you can fit one person as long as his legs are kicked up on the other seat, for long periods of time no way someone can stay back there. The SC430 reliability wise is the same as the GS so far. As a college car, well I don't know where you are going to college but around KU we have some jealous people and your car may get trashed, I drive my GS to college and I still don't feel safe leaving it parked out there. A lot of door dings. Around my area the SC430 turns more heads. Gas mileage wise well its about the same but I do drive my GS "rough" compared to the SC.

Last edited by usmarines; 08-02-06 at 06:30 PM.
Old 08-02-06, 07:41 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by usmarines
I have both you can't really fit anyone in the back, you can fit one person as long as his legs are kicked up on the other seat, for long periods of time no way someone can stay back there. The SC430 reliability wise is the same as the GS so far. As a college car, well I don't know where you are going to college but around KU we have some jealous people and your car may get trashed, I drive my GS to college and I still don't feel safe leaving it parked out there. A lot of door dings. Around my area the SC430 turns more heads. Gas mileage wise well its about the same but I do drive my GS "rough" compared to the SC.
Im going to be attending UT at Austin. At the place I'm going to stay at, theres like a parking garage there and hopefully nothing happens in that parking garage. I was hopeing by the images I've seen, that the back seats would be able to accomadate some people. I'll have to personally check it out later. I really like my GS however and baby it all the time, but parents feel that the GS is unsafe because it's used. Another option would also be the Audi TT but am unsure if there are any backseats in it. I need a car that will fit atleast 4 people. Thank you for your quick response.
Old 08-02-06, 07:49 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

I would say get a GS430 or if you don't really care about having a sporty car opt for the LS430 if you have the money.

Last edited by DarKnight; 08-03-06 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-02-06, 08:03 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KANEDL25
I would say get a GS430 or if you don't really care about having a sporty car opt for the LS430 since you have the money.
Sorry if I gave off that kind of image. I really meant a used SC430 or something because a brand new is pretty pricey. I really thought about the GS430 but my parents say its pointless getting practically the same car. I am really thinking about just keeping my GS300 however. I am really not a bratty kid or anything at all. Just need a car to replace my own soon because sister needs a car.
Old 08-02-06, 09:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i have gs400 and sc430. the sc430 is rated one of the most reliable cars made, i think it's even better than the gs. it's very very quiet, much quieter than the gs, though it's a bit heavier and "feel" slower when you are not used to the throttle.

and you can completely forget about the rear seats. my wife is 5 ft and 90lb. even she has a very very tough time fitting back there. those are NOT seats
Old 08-03-06, 01:08 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by imjohnphan
Sorry if I gave off that kind of image. I really meant a used SC430 or something because a brand new is pretty pricey. I really thought about the GS430 but my parents say its pointless getting practically the same car. I am really thinking about just keeping my GS300 however. I am really not a bratty kid or anything at all. Just need a car to replace my own soon because sister needs a car.
I wasn't saying that at all, I hope I didn't offend you but a used SC430 would probably go for the same price if not more than a used LS430. I just like the GS so much that I would get the 430, especially if you're going to be carrying other people in the vehicle, it would be more practical. Plus, you're going to want that extra room if you're going to be in college, believe me, there are times when my backseat looks like a library.
Old 08-03-06, 01:16 AM
Celsior Master
Lexus Test Driver

you said "but parents feel that the GS is unsafe because it's used" ... so u give it to ur sister?! LOL
Old 08-03-06, 01:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Celsior Master
you said "but parents feel that the GS is unsafe because it's used" ... so u give it to ur sister?! LOL
and then you are going to get a used sc430 too!!!

seriously, used car doesn't mean it's not safe
Old 08-03-06, 04:34 AM
bmgs400
Lexus Champion

Man... I wish I had you're problem when I started college. Try driving a 71 VW Beetle with rusted heating vents in an Ohio winter.

Anyway...SC == reliability, sexy, babe magnet I'm sure. For a college car though are you Ivy League? If not...don't park the SC on campus unless you have access to faculty parking!
Old 08-04-06, 08:41 AM
minla007
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bmgs400
Man... I wish I had you're problem when I started college. Try driving a 71 VW Beetle with rusted heating vents in an Ohio winter.

Anyway...SC == reliability, sexy, babe magnet I'm sure. For a college car though are you Ivy League? If not...don't park the SC on campus unless you have access to faculty parking!
me too! i wish i had the problem of deciding btw a gs or sc for my college car......i was pushing an 87 dodge omni....

anwyays, back to your question...if u're gonna be carrying ppl around in the back seat....i would NOT get the SC.....just keep your GS.....the SC is a coupe, so basically a 2 seater, the back seats have no use
Old 08-04-06, 03:23 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

thanks guys for the quick replies ... i guess i will look away from the sc because i really thought that the back seats could be used for actual people lol . when i say give my gs to my sister because its unreliable, its because she would use it to go to school .. (high school) and the school is actually like 5 miles away so it wouldnt be super bad if it broke down, not saying that it would. I plan on taking my car to college and my parents want me to come home often ... like every weekend or other weekend. I am going to UT in Austin and its like a 3 hour drive from Houston. I guess my parents wouldnt want my car breaking down in the middle of the road. I believe that the GS is an extremely reliable car but parents think otherwise due to year. They want me to get a newer car if not a new one. The SC looks amazing in my opinion but the fact that the rear seats cant hold anyone is the biggest downside because I plan on taking friends home and back if they wanted and maybe take brother and sister around when they need to. But anyways .. thank you for the quick replies. Does anyone know any reliable cars comparable to Lexus in the luxury catagory with a sporty look? I was thinking about the newer 5 series but have heard some terrible stories about BMW and it being nowhere near Lexus in reliability.

oh and by the way ... to rominl .. that sc in your sig is absolutely gorgeous. and all you guys have amazing looking cars around here

Last edited by imjohnphan; 08-04-06 at 03:27 PM.
Old 08-04-06, 05:40 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

how many mailes you have on your GS3?? I don;t think it will break down on the street unless it is a flat tire or something...
Old 08-04-06, 06:30 PM
imjohnphan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by blacksc400
how many mailes you have on your GS3?? I don;t think it will break down on the street unless it is a flat tire or something...
hahah yeah without a doubt it wont break down .. lexus' are animals when it comes to reliability .. but nothing can seem to put my moms mind at ease unless its a different car. I was just looking for alternatives.