GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Are these worth the money and benefits ? (where 'these'= grounding kits)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06, 09:23 AM
AW99GS400
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are these worth the money and benefits ? (where 'these'= grounding kits)

Hi guys saw these on i-tuneparts web site just wondering if they are worth the money and performance gain ? Type "MR" hyper voltage system + hyper ground system. Exactly what it do to benefit horsepower and torque+ brighter headlights ?

Adrian
Old 08-03-06, 10:19 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do a search Adrian. these have been discussed many times before. just search for "grounding kit" and you'll see diagrams, various kits, actual engine bay pics, etc...
Old 08-03-06, 11:04 AM
AW99GS400
Pole Position

sorry bud didnt know kinda new to this post thingy
Old 08-03-06, 01:02 PM
AZ-GS300
Lead Lap

The benefit you see is the better feeling in the seat as your wallet has been emptied of that unnecessary stuff called money.

Basically, they do about nothing for performance of any kind.
Old 08-03-06, 11:30 PM
antbo
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AZ-GS300
The benefit you see is the better feeling in the seat as your wallet has been emptied of that unnecessary stuff called money.

Basically, they do about nothing for performance of any kind.
hahahha!! i always wondered about those, but was to lazy to search. but i thought thats what it did. hahah!!! i guess just for pretty looks??? or for hydraulic system?? i really can talk smack though, cuz i aint got one.
Old 08-04-06, 07:44 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I put one on my SC400 and felt absolutely no difference

Jonny
Old 08-04-06, 07:48 AM
3m ta3
Lead Lap

they make your wallet drain faster.
Old 08-04-06, 10:25 AM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Well, you can't flat out say it will do absolutely nothing. For a new car with few electrical mods....true it will do jack for you. However, it will be a huge improvement for an old car with corroded battery wires and such. Also, if you have a banging and powerful system you will need some extra path of ground to compensate. Example, you have a ultra high grade 1 or 0 gauge going to the amp in your trunk. The amp is then grounded to the car chassis. The current has to loop back somewhere. The stock wire for the ground on the battery is a low grade 4 gauge cable. That is the ONLY ground for the whole car from the factory, a standard automotive grade 4 gauge. Now combine the pull of the stock electrical system and a huge amp and you will see that the stock ground wire will not be enough.
Old 08-04-06, 11:17 AM
cliffud
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTsai
Well, you can't flat out say it will do absolutely nothing. For a new car with few electrical mods....true it will do jack for you. However, it will be a huge improvement for an old car with corroded battery wires and such. Also, if you have a banging and powerful system you will need some extra path of ground to compensate. Example, you have a ultra high grade 1 or 0 gauge going to the amp in your trunk. The amp is then grounded to the car chassis. The current has to loop back somewhere. The stock wire for the ground on the battery is a low grade 4 gauge cable. That is the ONLY ground for the whole car from the factory, a standard automotive grade 4 gauge. Now combine the pull of the stock electrical system and a huge amp and you will see that the stock ground wire will not be enough.
Agreed. Jeff, can this simply be fixed if one adds a fatter ground wire from the battery to the car?
Old 08-04-06, 05:42 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

at least it looks better??
I have it in all my cars tho...
they suppose to help, right?
though I can't tell the difference.
Old 08-07-06, 05:31 PM
JeffTsai
Lexus Fanatic

Received 43 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by cliffud
Agreed. Jeff, can this simply be fixed if one adds a fatter ground wire from the battery to the car?

Thats pretty much what that grounding kit does. A big fat block attaches to the negative post on the battery and several beefy 4 gauge cables are attached to it. You then ground those to several points on the car chassis. Exactly the SAME as getting some extra cables and bolting it up to the car chassis yourself.....the grounding kit just makes it "pretty" It just won't be as pretty to your wallet though.

Originally Posted by blacksc400
at least it looks better??
I have it in all my cars tho...
they suppose to help, right?
though I can't tell the difference.
Yep for 95% of people it's just for looks (most of that other 5% is the corroded cables situation and can easily be fixed with a cheap ground wire or battery clamp/post from car parts store). As I said it will ONLY help in cars with heavily rotted/corroded ground wire or cars with high drain electronics such as audio systems and such.
Old 08-08-06, 12:20 AM
Kharizma
Lexus Champion

i have the tech kit grounding kit in my car.. when i put it in i felt a difference.. more responsive, brighter lights, my system had more power, then i added the new optima battery and now the dimming has gone away some.. still need to pick up a capacitor though.. lol everyone says it's like a strobe light show when i step on my brakes haha... but yeah.. i think they do something.. plus it's less than a $100 so who cares lol