GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)
View Poll Results: What would YOU rather have???
wheels on stock height
25.15%
lowered on stock wheels
74.85%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Lowered on Stock wheels VS. Big Wheels on stock height??

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 06:39 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

as everyone else here with common sense/ modding sense said, ALWAYS lower the car first.

Let's say you have the stock 16's right now, look at the current wheel gap you have. Now imagine that wheel gap increasing by a few inches. New wheel/tire combo or not, it WILL look ridiculous.

Besides, I think it looks kinda cool with stock wheels stuffed way up under the car...... like people are looking and they know there's a sleeper getting ready to enter the realm of all-out hotness! lol
Old 08-04-06, 06:56 AM
GeorgeGS4
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks everybody, it seems like I have my answer....I guess my only problem with lowering the car on stock wheels is just because of how narrow the rear tires are. But after seeing the pic of Joels car, I think I would rather have that look than a 4X4

i suppose i could always put on some small spacers for the rears to kick them out a little bit....any suggestions on what are some good quality spacers?? thanks again
Old 08-04-06, 07:00 AM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

do a search for HR 15mm spacers here. You may even find a used set in the classified section.
Old 08-04-06, 07:42 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock wheels look much better when lowered.
The rims will attract more attention to how akward the car will look at stock height.
I did the L-Tuned S/S and couldn't believe how high the car looked after seeing at it lower for a week.

here's the before

and the after w/ stock wheels

both shots have l-tuned skirts but you still get the idea

Last edited by STONER; 08-04-06 at 07:47 AM.
Old 08-04-06, 07:51 AM
joel5150
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joel, with your lowered 16", do you get scraping issues on your chassis whenever you go over a hump?
Girlilove,
I have some pretty high speed bumps where I live and only if I have 4 adults in the car does it brush lightly on the chassis. But I do tend to go over them slowly. Gotta treat my baby sweetly until I get out on the flat open road.
Old 08-04-06, 08:00 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

It is a lot harder to go with the suspension first because you want some bling action - but it does look better

Jonny
Old 08-04-06, 08:40 AM
eman88
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LOWER....LOWER..........LOWer.........LOwer........lower it man..........
Old 08-04-06, 10:58 AM
Neophyte
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by STONER
The rims will attract more attention to how akward the car will look at stock height.
I did the L-Tuned S/S and couldn't believe how high the car looked after seeing at it lower for a week.

here's the before

that looks good lowered with the stock wheels! I hope mines looks like this when I lower mines with the stockies.
Old 08-04-06, 11:37 AM
ib_jimmy
Driver

Originally Posted by STONER

here's the before

How does the L-Tuned S/S ride? did you only installed the springs or did you get shock/struts installed also?

I'm looking to lower my GS3 just a lil bit without messing up my camber, i dont wanna go too low so i can claim over all those speed bump without problem.
Old 08-04-06, 11:58 AM
YayAreaGS
Driver School Candidate

then i guess this would be an appropriate place to ask this question...

i dont want to lower mine to an extreme amount... i was actually looking to get rims first simply because i wanted to but then i read how bad it will look. i have always been a truck guy S-10 and silverado when i drop those it's completly diffrent deal then a car. My S-10 was sick but would scrape, Now i have a luxury ride and def wanna go down the "baller" path rims and some exterior stuff. what are some good sites for suspension? average drop in inches? do they all differ... forgive my virginess in this field but i really wanna know. thanks guys
Old 08-04-06, 12:15 PM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ib_jimmy
How does the L-Tuned S/S ride? did you only installed the springs or did you get shock/struts installed also?

I'm looking to lower my GS3 just a lil bit without messing up my camber, i dont wanna go too low so i can claim over all those speed bump without problem.
You are probably not going to find the L-Tuned set-up new any more. They have been discontinued. I believe the shocks are rebadged KYB and the springs rebadged Eibach. That said, I think you could find the same drop available through those companies. Actually, I think Sewell still has a few sets of the springs. The drop is a little more than an inch all around, and I think the ride is fine. Much better than stock and still able to get into spec alignment. In hind sight, considering I paid about $700 installed for my L-Tuned suspension, You could probably get a used set of coilovers for a little more and install them yourself, and have the adjustability option.
Old 08-04-06, 03:35 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

I have my lowered about 1.5 inches all around and it sits nice. I get compliments all the time regarding how clean and simple it looks. I waiting on rims and suspension to come in 19's. I'm very happy though with the car lowered on the stock 400 17's
Old 08-04-06, 04:52 PM
Chpsk8
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine with 20's and stock suspension. I should lower it, but the roads here suck tooooo much. So much so I may go back to stock or get the fat 19's like I originally wanted... anyone wanna trade?

Old 08-04-06, 05:04 PM
YayAreaGS
Driver School Candidate

that doesnt even look bad ^^
Old 08-04-06, 05:11 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chpsk8
Here's mine with 20's and stock suspension. I should lower it, but the roads here suck tooooo much.
Sorry... that seems like such a cop-out to me. The roads are bad everywhere.

I'll bet the heavy cast aluminum 20s you threw on there affected the ride more than lowering it would have. The GS has plenty of suspension travel and ground clearance to handle a 1" to 1.5" drop... or more (I'm down over 2")

Quick Reply: Lowered on Stock wheels VS. Big Wheels on stock height??