GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-01, 07:12 AM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OH NO! my battary is SO BAD!!!

you have no idea how bad my battary is, i charged it last night, because a couple days ago she kept dying on us, and it was about 38 degrees overnight (F) and then i go to start the battary and it took about 8 seconds to start, i dont know how she did start but the battery keeps draining or something or thebattery wont hold the charge! im not worried about the battary because we are buying an Optima Yellow Top, but could there be somethign wront with my car? thats eating the battary? i checked all the lights, inside off, and outside are off... what could it be??

the only thing i have changed since the battary started dying was the Weapon*R Hyper Filter to the 4" Dragon filter that has no effect that couldnt' be it coudl it?
Old 10-08-01, 07:34 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !

Did you check your amp to see if it stays on when you shut the car off?

Batteries die man take it easy...I have the yellow top in my car and as I walked down the stairs to my garage this morning, I noticed that i left the inside light on..no worries left the light on put the key in and it fired right up!!

Also...hmmm...check your terminals..are they corroded are they on really tight(they should not be corroded and they should be on really tight)? You might have knocked one of them loose when you were putting the filter/intake in.

hope I helped you
Old 10-08-01, 12:19 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

no i made sure they were tight the negative is tight
Old 10-08-01, 01:37 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sascha, if you take off the negative clamp. Take a MultiMeter and put it on the amp setting.
Now put your multi meter in between the negative pole and the negative clamp. Now you can measure the amperage that is being drained from the battary.
If it is too high, ask someone to sit by the fuse box and let that person pull one fuse at a time. If your amperage drops it will indicate that the power user is behind that fuse.

Hope you understand what I am talking about, I don't know if I translated it right from dutch.

Hope it helps.
Old 10-08-01, 01:52 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

thanks richie, im gonna go buy a multimeter and do that, ther has to be something sucking power from somewhere because when you charge a battary you would think it would be able to start a car with ease

hopefully the battary has just had it

either that or like leo said the alternator could be messed... oh but i didnt tell him that i charged it with a seperate charger, so that rules out the alternator.
Old 10-08-01, 02:03 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

With the same multimeter you can check your alternator.
If you put it on volts, put the positive wire on the positive pole and the negative wire on the negative pole. Do this when the car is running.
The readout should be between 13.7 and 14 volts. A bit higher is not a problem, lower means the battary will not charge. If it is way higher than 14 volts, like 15 or higher, you will over charge the battary. This will shorten the life a lot.

How old is the battary??
Old 10-08-01, 02:11 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

Hey guys.. how much is the Optima Yellow Top? I heard is hundred something, right?
Old 10-08-01, 05:53 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

Sasha I had the same problem with my car I just switched out to the OPTIMA yellow tops and never had a problem since

damn boy they should run about 180 dollars for the yellow top and I think it was 150 dollars for the red top, they are both really good batteries and any of them should be able to handle the power of any stereo
Old 10-08-01, 06:56 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

Thanks biggie27.
I search on the net and found out the price of Optima Yellow Top is $149.95 on www.theLAPD.com. For red top is $129.95. Just FYI
Old 10-08-01, 09:56 PM
salimshah
Forum Moderator

Received 1,106 Likes on 995 Posts

Battery life should be 3+yrs.

Sasha would need dead [all things off, doors shut etc] for a GS300 current to compare Amperage on her car. Fellow GS300 owners needs to post that number for her [don't forget the Voltage reading at the battery]

As the battery gets old, generally one of the cells goes bad. UNder low load things appear OK, but for heavy load (starting) the battery does not put 12volts. IN other words, the battery does charge up but is unable to spin the engine.

Couple of tricks:

1) Alternator (self charging), in-dash warning lamp is usually a good indictor, but you have to have the engine running. [ensure the bulb is ok by seeing it light up when key is turned to on] normal life 100K+

2) Starter problem: As you move the key to start and the engine spins slowly, blow the horn. If horn sounds strong the problem could be in the starter, solenoid, connector or engine ground strap.

3) Battery problems: Step 2 and the horn sounds faint, the problem could be the battery, its terminals or the battery gnd. 3yrs+.

Salim
Old 10-09-01, 04:59 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by salimshah
Battery life should be 3+yrs.

Sasha would need dead [all things off, doors shut etc] for a GS300 current to compare Amperage on her car.

Salim
I love it when people think you're a GIRL Sasha...

Sasha is a guy (a little hindu boy I might add).
Old 10-09-01, 05:26 AM
xsuperjoex
Lexus Test Driver

screw the multimeter!!!!....OLD SCHOOL METHOD!!!

This is what you do if you want to check your alternator..

1. start the car
2. while car is running remove POSITIVE wire from battery

If the car stays running then your alternator is fine(just replace the battery)..if the car dies right away then your alternator is shot.

Just make sure you put the POSITIVE wire back on the battery before you shut the car off!

Simple isn't it?
Old 10-09-01, 10:13 AM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

xsuperjoex, your way will not tell if there is something in the car that is draining the battery. If you replace the battery and something is still draining, you will have the same problem after a while.
Old 10-09-01, 04:39 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

hahahaha joe ur crazy

AND IM NOT HINDU!! hahahahaha

anyways, thanks for the help guys im gonna go buy me a multi-meter, and an optima yellow top. Maybe tommorow.

i am not even running my stereo anymore but my car is over 3 years old, but if i remember right we have had the battary replaced before, same problem, i think its these stupid canadian winters, and leuxs battaries seem to hate me, my LS4's battary had this problem then we swapped it out for a better one.

im pretty sure its my battary man because when i go to cranck the motor you shoudl see it, you really should all the lights go out and you could swear on your lifef the cars NOT gonna start, but then... my free flowing intake and exhaust let the valves freely open and let air flow so perfectly... and my car just loves me so much, it knows it has to start for me... so it does and i get to hear the beautifull PERRRR once more then i punch the gas to spin the alternatro and hear the GASP of my intake sucking in air... damn i wish i could drive because i would so be out cruising right now!!!!!
Old 10-09-01, 04:47 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

i dont think you are supposed to put big alternators on cars, not sure why but i knwo there is some limit there..

Quick Reply: Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!