GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Inside Wear On Front Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-01, 11:08 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

maybe u didnt understand. this problem was found by this rim shop to occur with NO modifications and on the stock 17" upgrade tires. so i believe it has nothing to do with any suspsension mods or the big tires, although this would add to the problem.
Old 10-23-01, 02:08 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ThemisN
this problem was found by this rim shop to occur with NO modifications and on the stock 17" upgrade tires. so i believe it has nothing to do with any suspsension mods or the big tires, although this would add to the problem.
EXACTLY!!!
Old 10-23-01, 10:03 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

i dont know if any of you noticed this, but when u go to the dealer and look at a new GS (or IS for that matter) with the 17s, itll say "tire life is not as long on these"....but it doesnt say it for the 16s...i guess its that significant that they would actually have to put a sticker on the car saying it?

do they sell camber kits for our car? thats what a friend suggested when i told him about it.

and u said 17'' tires...so it doesnt happen to the 16s..or is it just not as major?

wow what a problem..my head hurts..-=z
Old 10-24-01, 09:37 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

ive only heard about the 17s..primarily bc only us performace fanatics get them...not your typical 60 yr old buying a GS. Tire life is less bc they are more performance tires, and thus a softer a compound leading to less tire life. Someone unknowlingly expecting lower tire life, however being unaware of an insde tire wear problem, could be in danger since u never know that there is irregular wear that could tear into the tire and cause a safety hazard not only to you but to others on the road. And they just refuse to accept it. Maybe they have corrected this on the 2000-2001's and just never said anything.
Old 10-24-01, 01:24 PM
N10S1
Driver

Originally posted by fierce gs
i dont know if any of you noticed this, but when u go to the dealer and look at a new GS (or IS for that matter) with the 17s, itll say "tire life is not as long on these"....but it doesnt say it for the 16s...i guess its that significant that they would actually have to put a sticker on the car saying it?

do they sell camber kits for our car? thats what a friend suggested when i told him about it.

and u said 17'' tires...so it doesnt happen to the 16s..or is it just not as major?

wow what a problem..my head hurts..-=z
No need for camber kits. Our vehicles have adjustable Camber settings, unlike probabably 90% of vehicles out on the market that need camber kits. Also, I've noticed that my front tires wear out faster than my rear? What's up with that?
Old 10-24-01, 02:45 PM
chowder
Driver

I have a 99 GS with the 17" stock rims and stock potenza RE030. Car is completely stock. I have noticed the inside edge "runout," "chop," "feathering," -- whatever you want to call it -- since around 12Kmi. You can see it and feel it as you run your hand along the tires edge. I have gradually endured more of a "lumpy" ride, while my rims remained ok. I rotated the tires normally through 15Kmi and rechecked the alignment twice (in spec both times). It was explained to me that the combination of soft rubber, notoriously bad tire, and toe setting chew up the insides ("plow"). How much of that was BS? Dunno. I can't tell if the insides got chewed up more when the tires are on the back or front. During my investigation, I had the rubber moved around too much, and I lost track. My gut tells me it's the front position. I'm at 25K now, well past the 15-17K I was told to expect from my dealer. The tread depth is surprisingly good except for the insides of every tire. I do more high speed straight highway driving than canyon bombing.
Old 10-24-01, 04:32 PM
Driver School Candidate

is there anyone got the alignment printed out from the shop? if your alignment is out of range lists below then it need to be adjust to the spect or find the aftermarket camber kit's so the camber's can be adjust to the spect. if all ok then maybe just the tire compound is too soft. here are the spects:

front
camber -.8 to +.8 degree
toe -.20 to +.20 degree
caster is not adjustable

rear
camber -1.3 to +1.3 degree
toe -.20 to +.20 degree
Old 10-24-01, 07:30 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 400
is there anyone got the alignment printed out from the shop? if your alignment is out of range lists below then it need to be adjust to the spect or find the aftermarket camber kit's so the camber's can be adjust to the spect. if all ok then maybe just the tire compound is too soft. here are the spects:

front
camber -.8 to +.8 degree
toe -.20 to +.20 degree
caster is not adjustable

rear
camber -1.3 to +1.3 degree
toe -.20 to +.20 degree
400, are the above posted numbers the "correct factory specs" or where did you come up with them? And if they are factory specs, then maybe I/We need to find out what settings are "Optimum" for aftermarket suspension and/or larger tires! :eek:
Old 10-25-01, 10:45 AM
NYGS400
Driver School Candidate

I've had the same issue with completly stock 17"s...
Took the car to the dealership with 5K miles and they replaced all 4 tires.....the dealer said it was because of the aggresive driving and the tire (potenza) rubber was to soft.
2 Yrs later i'm still having the same problems....replaced the 2 front tires about a mth. ago..keep in mind i did the alignment at Lexus.
Old 10-25-01, 03:52 PM
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by TXSTYLE

400, are the above posted numbers the "correct factory specs" or where did you come up with them? And if they are factory specs, then maybe I/We need to find out what settings are "Optimum" for aftermarket suspension and/or larger tires! :eek:

yes these numbers are factory spect. if your alignment is out of those range then the tire's will wear faster than it should.
Old 10-25-01, 06:08 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by 400

yes these numbers are factory spect. if your alignment is out of those range then the tire's will wear faster than it should.
But 400 remember what I said earlier, "Due to us having modified the car; lowered, bigger tires etc, I'm wondering if these "factory settings are still applicable??? Think about it! If the way the car would normally drive and be alligned from the factory and you alter the ride hight, and rolling diameter and in most cases widen the footprint, most likely the "allignment setting" would have to be altered too!? :eek: The answer is out there....................
Old 10-27-01, 07:44 PM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 99 GS400 that's ALL stock with the stock 17" chromes and Bridgestone S-02 Pole Position tires...

...my Lexus dealer himself told me that my tires had inner uneven wear and he said that I need to get it aligned

note that I also get a lot of noise from my tires during all sorts of driving and my GS400 also vibrates considerably from about 65 to 85mph.

I am just too busy these days to do something about it, my nearest Lexus dealer is more than an hour away!
Old 10-28-01, 12:34 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Originally posted by nanotech

...my Lexus dealer himself told me that my tires had inner uneven wear and he said that I need to get it aligned

I am just too busy these days to do something about it, my nearest Lexus dealer is more than an hour away!
First off, we have already discussed how a car that is regularly aligned will still have those same problems. Secondly, alignment need not be done by a lexus dealer, but by any respectable wheel or tire place.
Old 10-28-01, 07:51 AM
nanotech
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know you guys have already discussed everything.

I was just trying to add another case since I thought maybe you guys were trying to pin this down on one particular thing...maybe GS400s with 17"+ wheels?
Old 10-28-01, 01:32 PM
fierce gs
Pole Position

i dont get it. lexus knows of this problem, and almost everyone with 17s has this problem (i guess people with 16s also, but not as bad), and our cars already come with camber kits, and we know its its due to camber issues, since its at an angle...so how freakin hard is it for lexus to do some research and figure out the PROPER specs so this doesnt happen anymore...unless its the fact that the specs are correct, and our cars just become misaligned very easily...in that case maybe they should come out with a better camber kit....or get rid of our camber kits..since u guys said that we are one of the very few with this...maybe thats the downfall? who knows..just doesnt seem why its so hard for a company this huge to fix such an insignificant problem.

ok im done. hehe

Quick Reply: Inside Wear On Front Tires?