GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Inside Wear On Front Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-02, 10:03 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Tighten Screws past Specs..

Originally posted by Zulfie
That sounds like another alternative that can be tried. Anyone going in for an alignment anytime soon, maybe they can ask for them to past specs, maybe a turn or 2 past spec torque.

As someone mentioned earlier in this post, it is probably a combination of things in the suspension, but its probably one expensive fix for Lexus, so they probably won't publish any TSB's on it. IMO....
Well my man, I'm not necessarilly calling it "The Fix". But it is working for me! And since I purchased a 'lifetime allignment 'and I use "expensive rubber" the time & effort is worth it until someone comes up with an 'actual workable solution'.
Old 08-20-02, 09:47 PM
PERRYinLA
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Great tip, drmanny3! Costco does indeed have the best prices to mount/balance tires!

I was about to take them to Winston tires ($12.50 per) but then I spotted your posting.

The Culver City, CA Costco store charges $9 - not as cheap as your quoted $8, but I'll take it!
Old 08-21-02, 04:57 PM
ShowGSLuVv
Lexus Test Driver

so has anyone else came up with a Solution to this, because I have a 02 GS430, I have about 15k miles on it and I have inside tire wear to the point where the first Inch completely slants down and doesn't have anymore tread left, So I bought some Toyo's and I need to get them mounted, but I want/need to get them to fix it, so is it the camber? or does it go more then that? thanks

ShOwGS
Old 08-22-02, 01:03 PM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by ShowGSLuVv
so has anyone else came up with a Solution to this, because I have a 02 GS430, I have about 15k miles on it and I have inside tire wear to the point where the first Inch completely slants down and doesn't have anymore tread left, So I bought some Toyo's and I need to get them mounted, but I want/need to get them to fix it, so is it the camber? or does it go more then that? thanks

ShOwGS
This is the GREAT mystery....................?! Get an allignment with every oil change is my suggestion!
Old 11-29-02, 02:49 PM
Prost
Rookie

Default Good alliament shop in So Cal?

I have this problem, can someone recommand a good shop in Los Angeles area (Montery Park/Pasadena)? I need to get new tire and bring the car to the shop to do it!

BTW, which tire is better--Pilot A/S, SO3 or SP9000

Thanks
Old 12-02-02, 01:45 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Good alliament shop in So Cal?

Originally posted by Prost
I have this problem, can someone recommand a good shop in Los Angeles area (Montery Park/Pasadena)? I need to get new tire and bring the car to the shop to do it!

BTW, which tire is better--Pilot A/S, SO3 or SP9000

Thanks
Johnson's Alignment in Torrance/Carson should be able to fix this problem. Search CL for stories. I had mine done by them and after 6,000 miles on Dunlop SP Sport 5000, there's not a sign of uneven wear yet.

Old 12-02-02, 02:50 PM
alexus
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

what if i get inside wear on rear tires?
Old 10-16-03, 09:57 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Blast from the past! From one of the GREATEST threads..................EVER!!!

By the way........how's everyone fairing with this?
Old 10-16-03, 10:17 AM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, indeed...blast from the past. Maybe a good time to do an update.

I now have put on 22,000 miles on the Dunlop SP Sports 5000. I haven't rotated yet since it was installed brand new...just plain laziness. The wear on the tires are even and I am really happy for that. Kudos to Johnson's Alignment.

What is weird is this: The rear tires are more worn than the fronts!!! Sounds like my previous mid-engine MR-2 Turbo.

The fronts on my GS have about 50% tread left while the rears have maybe 10% before hitting the tread wear indicators. As I said, there's even wear on the tread surface on all fours...no inside or outside premature uneven wear nor cupping.
Old 10-16-03, 10:24 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Originally posted by whitels
Yes, indeed...blast from the past. Maybe a good time to do an update.

I now have put on 22,000 miles on the Dunlop SP Sports 5000. I haven't rotated yet since it was installed brand new...just plain laziness. The wear on the tires are even and I am really happy for that. Kudos to Johnson's Alignment.

What is weird is this: The rear tires are more worn than the fronts!!! Sounds like my previous mid-engine MR-2 Turbo.

The fronts on my GS have about 50% tread left while the rears have maybe 10% before hitting the tread wear indicators. As I said, there's even wear on the tread surface on all fours...no inside or outside premature uneven wear nor cupping.
Sweet! As I previously stated, I live by frequent allignments: EVERY Oil Change as a matter of fact. The results........much longer tire life.
Old 01-02-04, 10:43 PM
Zulfie
Driver

Default Blast from the past

Sweet! As I previously stated, I live by frequent allignments: EVERY Oil Change as a matter of fact. The results........much longer tire life.
I can't believe it, 1.5 year later on this thread and still no Camber Kit for this car. I'm replacing my front Yok's tomorrow that have only about 8K miles on them, because the side wall is separating from the tread due to cupping from inside wear...Terrible...Oh well....

Zulf...
Old 01-04-04, 12:08 AM
TXSTYLE
Lexus Fanatic

Unhappy Re: Blast from the past

Originally posted by Zulfie
I can't believe it, 1.5 year later on this thread and still no Camber Kit for this car. I'm replacing my front Yok's tomorrow that have only about 8K miles on them, because the side wall is separating from the tread due to cupping from inside wear...Terrible...Oh well....

Zulf...
Don't feel bad....Same shiz is happening to the 350Z!

Although........ A kit will be available next month.

Let's hope the 2005 Model has remedied this...........
Old 01-04-04, 04:09 AM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Default Re: Re: Blast from the past

Originally posted by TXSTYLE

Although........ A kit will be available next month.

Let's hope the 2005 Model has remedied this...........
A remedy? hahahaha. This has been a problem on the GS since the car debuted in 98, and lexus still denies ANYTHING being wrong. I am not sure about now, bc I have given up bringing it up.
Old 01-04-04, 05:23 PM
Zulfie
Driver

Talking

I can't that its happening to your "Z".... Maybe I'm naive, but you would think that these car manufacturers would think of something like this happening, and design it correctly... Who knows, its probably all a big conspiracy with the Tire Companies..