GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Convince me to buy a GS300........

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-01, 08:35 AM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by eppan
I know you narrowed it down to either a 2001 GS3 but how about a 2002 GS3, it has an "In-dash, six-disc CD auto-changer". At least that would close the issue of changing CD's.

I think you pretty much made up your mind....if you like the GS get the GS like everyone else has said.

I just bought my GS in Aug. and I did think about the TL-S but my factors were a little different. Luxury was a priority, then reliability and perfomance tied and of course the rest was gravy. However, after a couple of days of comparisons, the GS won hands down:

1st Made in Japan (Big big plus)
2nd More luxurious
3rd Silky smooth performance
4th RWD...<always had RWD...not worried about snow...I have a 4X4 for that>
5th Lexus service is the best....will spoil you

Price was definetly a factor me...once I realized that I wanted a GS and didn't want to spend more than $30,000...I optied for an used GS. If you look around and get a certified one it is like new and if you get the extended warranty...heck nothing to worry about for 5 years. Plus, me dealer treats me as if I purchased the car new.

Either ways good luck....(Get the GS! )
I agree with you. If you don't want to spend that much $$ go for a cpo Lexus. With the market the way it is, I bet you could swing a 1998 GS4 for within several thousand of the price of the TL. With a GS4, you'll spanking TL until the cows come home. And you'll have a fly *** pimpin car.

And you'll have a great dealer service.

EOM
Old 10-10-01, 09:23 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

geebee, I've actually seen your post on the TL board (my moniker is TedC), and read the comments by Acura owners, obviously telling you otherwise what should be expected:

Toyota/Lexus don't have **** on Audi, or Honda/Acura for that matter when it comes to build quality.
I bet JD Powers would love to hear that.

numb-riding, slow moving, jell-o shifting, overweight wannabe status-symbols!
This from a FWD car owner. And if Lexus is a wannabe, what does that make Acura then ??

The GS-300 is a slug. It is HEAVY, body rolls like a ****, and isn't as fast as a TL-S. I drove a GS-300 before I bought my TL-S and I never looked back. The only real competition is in the $40K price range
This from a car with imitation wood and partial leather, and quite a few posts about rattles, tranny problems and paint defects. BTW the GS weighs 145 lbs. more than a TLS...oh and make sure to ask about the truck-like turning radius.

Alot more personality. And the plus is you can wreck the Lexus in 0-60 and 1/4 mile.
Personality ? This car shares 52 % of it's parts with the Accord, closely resembles it, so tell me what the GS shares and looks like from Toyota.

As for Lexus, I will take the Acura ahead of the current Lexus. Once Toyota put more soul into their cars, I will consider buying one from them.
Honda is full of soul, what, the Accord and Civic !? I could maybe see the S2000, of which will supposedly only be around for only 1 more year. And oh yeah, the Celica GTS is boring, hell, even the Supra twin-turbo wasn't inspiring (sarcasm).

Alot of TL posts also defended Lexus' reputation, saying money was the factor for eliminating the GS, so if money is not the main factor what is holding you back ? The TLS is the best buy in the $30k range, hell, they own it, but when they start believing that cars in the $40's are more their competition, something is wrong here. I mean, an M3 is listed (well, when the hype dies down !) at $45k, a GS430 can be had for $48K (and lower) and maybe an E320 (around $49K), and the TLS competes with these cars ??!!

geebee, a co-worker of mine owns a TLS which I've driven, and although it is fast, it doesn't make me forget my old Accord enough. And for $32k it should. I mean, a WRX could soundly beat both the TLS and GS430, but would I trade mine in for one ?!
And I love the exclusivity of my GS, not alot of others around, which you can't say for a TL/TLS.
Old 10-10-01, 09:56 AM
damnboy
Pole Position

Well put, Ted!!
TL & GS were on my top list when I shop for the car.
You know my wife hate the style of Acura TL so bad that she allow me to spend more for the GS. I'm so please from day one I have it.

DB
Old 10-10-01, 11:16 AM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by damnboy
Well put, Ted!!
TL & GS were on my top list when I shop for the car.
You know my wife hate the style of Acura TL so bad that she allow me to spend more for the GS. I'm so please from day one I have it.

DB
Yah TL was on my top list also, but the thing is, it's FWD!!! Yah one will say the ES is FWD too. So? ES wasn't intended to be a sporty car, it's pure luxury and FWD will help by making the ES easy to control and manuver. But TL on FWD? They claim that it's a sport sedan and FWD? Show me another sport sedan that's FWD. Geeze, if they're gonna make the TL 30k and a sport sedan they could've spend another 3k~4k on development of making the TL a RWD car and maybe that's alot better than saving time and money by pulling stuff off an Accord.
Old 10-10-01, 11:21 AM
eppan
Pole Position

Default NO Twin

My other factor was also because the GS had no twin like what LexusPride and LexusNexus said.

I mean, which car did they design first the Accord or the TL??? Heck, that is why I looked only at the GS...although hehe the 2002 ES interior is so nice , not that impressed with the exterior...too similar to Camry IMHO.

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
When u get out the car, the steering wheel politely moves for you (a conversation piece).
Agreed with 1SICKLEX, I love the telescopic steering wheel.

As far as guages...love them absolutely love them. No glare ploblems at all. I too don't like bright guages, so I turn my down pretty low.

Old 10-10-01, 02:01 PM
gsintensive
Lexus Test Driver

many ppl compare the GS vs TLS by sheer horse power rating. (like many ppl in the TL-s forum), but they can't deny that GS overall is a much better built car. Not only it is a rear Wheel drive, but also the integrity of the car remains superior. Which luxury car you see today has front wheel drive? The fact also indicates that TL shared over 50 % of the parts on accord, not that it is a bad thing, but if I am to buy a 30k+ car, I expect more.

Getting back to the previous point I've stated, compare GS3 and TL-s on hp is not right, because for performance enthusiast there is always higher scale 400/430, GS300 is a sporty "luxury" sedan. Why don't they try to compare the TLS with mustang/camero?

After all, go with where the heart is = )