GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

Convince me to buy a GS300........

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-01, 11:35 AM
geebee
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Convince me to buy a GS300........

Hi All:

Here's my info and dilemma:

Currently I have a 99Accord V6 EX, an excellent car, highly recommended for it's price (24K)range. I want to upgrade to something just as fast, but more luxury, better driving, and quieter.

The three choices I've test driven are: 2002 ES300, 2001GS300, and 2002 Acura TL-S. I eliminated the ES, and my finalists are the TL-S for $29,500 or the GS with prem package for $39,500. Both are non nav.

My heart says GS, but there are a couple of things about the car I hate, maybe you guys can convince me otherwise.

I listen to most of my music in the car. It's very important to me. My Honda has what I consider the best front end I've ever had. A single disc in dash, six disc in trunk. (upgraded with a better amp and speakers). That way, with a 24 CD wallet, I can listen to 30 different CD's changing them at 70mph. The GS stereo sounds great, but with just that cartridge system, you'd have to stop to change to any other discs. AND WHERE ARE THE STEERING WHEEL CONTROLS? How can a $40k car not have any? Not only that, where do you store stuff like extra cd's? The center console was too small for a CD wallet, and it barely fit into the glove box. No sunglass holder, and very little storage anywhere seems very annoying.

The TL stereo is a slotloading indash six. Possible to add any disc easily at 70 mph. Proper steering wheel controls. Plenty of Hondalike storage.

I'm also VERY sensitive to glare and extraneous light. The opti guages, even dimmed down, would bother me. The Tl guages are white during the day, backlit numerals at night.

The TL has standard HID lights and is $10 K cheaper. A very large percentage less.

The TL has more horsepower and a much more intuitive automanual. The FWD is better for snow.

BUT... BUT... BUT... The GS has enough power for me, handles like a dream (RWD advantage), has the most beautiful and luxurious interior and the exterior looks hot. It's also quieter. Maybe MOST importantly, the GS touches me a certain way. You could say, it gets me hard to drive it!

So my head, heart, and wallet are all battling in a raging dilemma.
I'm so confused that I may just sit tight till the next generation GS comes out in 03 or 04. Or buy a Tl now and go to GS in two years. Or say screw the problems and money and get a GS.

Sorry for the length of this post, sometimes it helps to get your thoughts out. Any ideas or feedback appreciated.

Gerry

Last edited by geebee; 10-09-01 at 12:00 PM.
Old 10-09-01, 12:08 PM
ThemisN
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Personally...if you are gonna leave the GS3 stock and u want the *****., dont buy it over the type-S. The cd-changer....first off...learn not to have to change cds on the fly...i change them all the time when im driving, but it just takes a minute....i leave my cd wallet in between my seat and the center console...so there u go. as for sunglass holders and bs....i would never use it anyway..thats what sunglass cases are for...and u put that in one of your 2 sections in your arm rest or the glove. Steering wheel controls...never had a place in my heart for me. I want the steering wheel clean...so all its used for is....steering..GO FIGURE. I was always palm the wheel when i turn so maybe that has something to do with my preference. The dash lights...i love them. The only ones i love more are the ones in the new S-class. One little thing that i even noticed that the S-class didnt even have....that the steering wheel goes up and down when u get out/in of the car. Much more convenient comfort wise. Anyway...those are my thoughts. And i've always believed that when it comes to comfort and luxury...u get what u pay for. good luck.
Old 10-09-01, 12:27 PM
meanboy
Lexus Test Driver

The cd problem can be easily solved by buying addtional cd cartridges. Then you could change six at a time, and hopefully, not while you are driving at 70mph.

I have heard that the interior is much nicer in a Lexus. And you already know it's a rear wheel drive so it's prime for modding.

I think the things you listed are very minor except for the glare. Not sure what you can do about that.

From what you said, you like the way the GS drives over the TL. I think you already answered your own question.
Old 10-09-01, 01:26 PM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Um, my quick take on your situation:

GS: One of Lexus' ultimate pimping machines, the largest import ultra-luxury sedan for under $40K, and RWD. Oh, yeah, did I mention RWD. I'm not sure if I mentioned RWD before, so I'll mention that RWD advantage again...Too many other advantages over the TL to list. Honestly. Literally.

TL-S: Just a fast Accord, plain and simple. There's absolutely nothing special about it except for the fact that it goes fast and isn't going to cost all that much. It's really not a drivers car the way a GS is. Nothing they could put in a FWD Acura could make it better than a RWD GS. I just perceive FWD to be such a cheap, flimsy, almost embarassing design. Rear-wheel drive is the real deal.

Plus, when you say Acura, people say "Blah," but when you say Lexus, especially GS, people give you respect.

If you've got the money, make for the Lexus dealer and get a GS.
Old 10-09-01, 01:32 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally posted by wantAnewLex

Plus, when you say Acura, people say "Blah," but when you say Lexus, especially GS, people give you respect.

Thats what I was going to say . Too many good points to list on a GS and this has been discussed alot of times on here. You always hear people compare Bmw, Mercedes and Lexus's in one group. You never hear acura with the top 3. That alone should tell you something.
Old 10-09-01, 01:35 PM
fever
Lead Lap

I drive a 98 GS 400 but after reading your comments it would seem that the TL-S is the better buy for you. The only problem with the TL-S and CL-S is that they are not compelling purchases, practical, yes. So if you can live with yourself for buying a practical car that has zero style then go for the TL-S. Hey, it's one fast ride and has a great amount of luxury for the money. It also holds its value quite nicely. But at the end of the day you still will know the TL-S was bought because of the value. You will never convince yourself otherwise. Tough decision.
Old 10-09-01, 01:57 PM
Richie
Lexus Fanatic

Listen to your heart, get the GS!!!!!!!
Old 10-09-01, 03:52 PM
damnboy
Pole Position

Think about this. If you like GS but for some reasons you decide to get TL. You gonna feel pain everytime you saw a GS on the road. That's why I choose GS over TL even it's a 10k different.
Old 10-09-01, 04:30 PM
LexusRules
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude, i think the 10K difference is bluring ur vision, the little things dont really matter to you, if they were both the same price what would you get? im sure instantly the GS. If you really want the GS, get it. Or regret it.

if you get the GS and see a TL rolling you'll smile and saw damn im glad i chose this, but if you choose the TL you will look at the GS and think... maybe this wasn't the best choise and frown

more money more problems... so get rid of your money on a GS3!!

but hey ur on Clublexus, i bet the acura site is telling you the exact same stuff but about acura.

so dont ask our advise, seek your own heart what you really want man, its the only thing thats gonna make ur know you chose the right thing
Old 10-09-01, 08:50 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Convince me to buy a GS300........

Hello.

I listen to 99% of my music in my car also. I believe that 1 in-dash CD is good, but hey when you got a 6-disc changer in the GLOVEBOX then you can change "6" CDs at once in no time!

And with TL's 5 speakers, even GSs without Mark-Levinson system sounds better (I've compared before.)

Steering wheel controls: They're for cars with hard-to-use buttons on the center console. My GS doesn't have steering wheel controls, but I can do everything audio with my GS without looking down, because the buttons are big and easy to remember, I can even fast forward/rewind and control the bass/treb with the NAV touchscreen WITHOUT LOOKING! Steering wheel controls, not that big of a deal. I second ThemisN's point. Steering wheels are better off looking clean. It's a STEERING wheel not an audio/visual/control wheel.

Glovebox is bigger than the TL's. Again I've compared this with the TL since my GF's mom drives one. TL has way less storage, in the armrest AND the glovebox. Sunglasses, just toss them in the lower part of the armrest. They sit nice and tight. True TL has alot of compartments but they use quantity to cover up quality and size.

Opti-gauges are up to different people. I love them. People pay money to get those. People get these for a reason also. If they're harsh on your eyes, then ok.

TL's HID doesn't self-level. (I don't think). That's like any HID kits out there that you can get for 400~500 bucks.

TL's automanual responds slower than the GS. Again another comparison I've done. If you live in snowy area then ok FWDs are safer but GS has plenty of safety features to cover that.

GS is 10k more for a reason. By looking at the accessories seems like TL is a good bang-for-the-buck (and it is) but hey I don't think that many people would get a TL over a GS if they have the money. If you do, then great!

I would say get a GS now. When the new model GS comes out you might not like it, or there could be some bugs. Right now the GS is well-developed, plenty of aftermarket parts, and just an overall very-refined vehicle. Yup.
Old 10-09-01, 10:08 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

G comes before T, THATS A SIGN RIGHT THERE MAN YOU HAVE TO READ BETWEEN THE LINES!!!!!!
Old 10-09-01, 10:16 PM
biggie27
Lexus Champion

TL = Total Loser

GS= Great Sex

just kidding to all you TL owners out there
Old 10-10-01, 01:05 AM
eppan
Pole Position

Smile

I know you narrowed it down to either a 2001 GS3 but how about a 2002 GS3, it has an "In-dash, six-disc CD auto-changer". At least that would close the issue of changing CD's.

I think you pretty much made up your mind....if you like the GS get the GS like everyone else has said.

I just bought my GS in Aug. and I did think about the TL-S but my factors were a little different. Luxury was a priority, then reliability and perfomance tied and of course the rest was gravy. However, after a couple of days of comparisons, the GS won hands down:

1st Made in Japan (Big big plus)
2nd More luxurious
3rd Silky smooth performance
4th RWD...<always had RWD...not worried about snow...I have a 4X4 for that>
5th Lexus service is the best....will spoil you

Price was definetly a factor me...once I realized that I wanted a GS and didn't want to spend more than $30,000...I optied for an used GS. If you look around and get a certified one it is like new and if you get the extended warranty...heck nothing to worry about for 5 years. Plus, me dealer treats me as if I purchased the car new.

Either ways good luck....(Get the GS! )
Old 10-10-01, 03:42 AM
mooretorque
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

geebee, it's your money. You can spend $30k and very likely end up wishing you'd bought the GS EVERY TIME you feel torque steer from your Acura, EVERY TIME you look at your interior, EVERY TIME you see a GS. So, in a very real sense, you just wasted $30k. Imho, better to spend more and get what you want than spend less and be reminded of every compromise every single day. But I tend to keep cars for a longer period than most on this board since I buy rather than lease. And your objections to the GS (glare from gauges, at least) are not insignificant. So things aren't quite so clear cut.

As eppan pointed out, a CPO GS saves you a bunch since someone else took the initial depreciation hit. With that in mind, you could even potentially get a GS400 and still be under $40k!!! With E-shift!

fever, however, may be right. The TL-S, looked at logically, is probably your better choice. This is a Lexus board, therefore we've already made our choices, compromises and all. I can tell you what I'd do........but we've already done that. Go drive some more. Take one and then the other home for the weekend. Good luck!
Old 10-10-01, 04:00 AM
lexusnexus
Pole Position

I had some slight hesitation when I bought my IS 300 in April....I drove the TL-S....and the car after like 4500 RPM takes off at some insane rate of speed. Trouble is, the TL is truly just an Accord with different body panels. I bought my wife a 2001 Accord V6 EX last November, only because I could pay cash for it, it is a great car ! But she really wants a GS 400....which I am so cool with Were going to wait until next spring, my advice is spend a little extra, buy the GS300....the TL-S may/does have a really sweet engine....but the rest is poo-poo.....and RWD rocks !

Quick Reply: Convince me to buy a GS300........