GS - 2nd Gen (1998-2005) Discussion about the second generation GS300, GS400 and GS430 (1998 - 2005)

door actuator problem?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-06, 10:30 PM
ShaiKmai
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default door actuator problem?

Ok I noticed earlier today before i started working that my door lock didn't lock all the way (orange part was half way) so i re-locked my door with the key went outside and opened my door........door popped right open. I then locked the door manually and it still went back to halfway. went out and tried the door again......Freakin thing popped right open WTF??? I just noticed it but i've seen the lock halfway for over a month. Is this the actuator problem that 2nd gen gs always have?

Kain
Old 08-17-06, 11:37 AM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Default Hmmm....

Originally Posted by ShaiKmai
Ok I noticed earlier today before i started working that my door lock didn't lock all the way (orange part was half way) so i re-locked my door with the key went outside and opened my door........door popped right open. I then locked the door manually and it still went back to halfway. went out and tried the door again......Freakin thing popped right open WTF??? I just noticed it but i've seen the lock halfway for over a month. Is this the actuator problem that 2nd gen gs always have?

Kain

Hi Kain. I've had this problem before. It's a possibility that it's not the actuator problem but on the back side of your door panel are cables for the lock and for the door handle. From my experience of changing out my actuator, I see that the lock cable can be adjusted but you'll have to take off the door panel completely to get back there and then pop off the cable to readjust it. Sorry I don't have pictures to show you exactly but if you had your car worked on by someone previously relating to that door then they should go back and readjust your lock cable. If the lock locks slowly then it's an actuator problem. And if that's the true problem, then PM me. I can get a good price on that part for you.

-John
Old 08-17-06, 02:13 PM
SoCal_VIP
Lexus Test Driver

I have the same problem but both doors on the passenger side
Old 08-17-06, 07:11 PM
ShaiKmai
Pit Crew

The thing is i had some A$$ sideswipe my car about a month ago and had collision one straighten it all out and repaint it, did a pretty good job. I don't know if it was due to the hit and run or from the repair shhp. So is this a common flaw to my beloved GS 2nd generation?? Say it aint so
Old 08-17-06, 11:09 PM
utemachine
Driver School Candidate

Mine does it too. It started right after I used the child lock. Anyway, I hit my alarm twice and it usually gets it.
Old 08-18-06, 06:33 AM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Default Yep!

The thing is i had some A$$ sideswipe my car about a month ago and had collision one straighten it all out and repaint it, did a pretty good job. I don't know if it was due to the hit and run or from the repair shhp. So is this a common flaw to my beloved GS 2nd generation?? Say it aint so

Yep, that's the problem there ShaiKmai. The guys at your bodyshop didn't install the lock on properly. Take it back to them and it's an easy fix. Just watch how they do it and you'll know how to take your door panel apart yourself incase you need to get to your actuator. The actuator going out is actually a common problem with our cars.

Both of my passenger side went out one week after another and now my driver side is doing funny things. You can actually tell when it's about to give way. The speed of the lock tends to slow down or once in a while it doesn't lock. You can't just fix that but you gotta replace the WHOLE actuator which comes with the lock assembly! If anyone needs parts I have those available as follow:

Either front actuator: $230 + shipping
Either rear actuator: $240 + shipping

You can check with your local dealerships but I think those are the best prices I've seen all around. Just PM me.

-John
Old 08-18-06, 09:06 AM
ShaiKmai
Pit Crew

If worse comes to worse I have a 2 year warranty.........Hopefully that should cover it
Old 08-18-06, 09:45 AM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Default lucky

If worse comes to worse I have a 2 year warranty.........Hopefully that should cover it

You're so lucky man! It IS covered under warrenty! Make sure you get it changed out before your 2 yrs is over though.

-John
Old 08-18-06, 03:42 PM
dle
Pole Position

I have the same problem with my rear passenger door. I can see the button try to move when i push the lock/unlock button on my alarm pad.
Old 08-18-06, 06:44 PM
ShaiKmai
Pit Crew

Default Found the problem!!

Alright fella's thanks for all the help. I decided to take apart my door panels. That was a piece of cake. and look what i found

https://www.clublexus.com/gallery//s...0/ppuser/53097

this cable plastic thread piece broke. wonder how much that will cost. OR!! it should be covered due to the accident.
Old 08-19-06, 06:44 AM
STONER
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you'll need the whole actuator.
Old 08-20-06, 02:51 PM
RacingLuxury
Pole Position

Default right!

He's right, if a part of your actuator is broken, you'll need the ENTIRE part! It's made with everything built into it. The cables, locks, locking mechanism and switch for the lights. Ughhh... changing it out is the tricky part!
Old 03-03-07, 07:50 AM
airahcaz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I need this part for my right rear door, 1998 GS400, anyone have thoughts? DIY?
Old 03-03-07, 08:57 AM
pardo
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ranjankhan
I need this part for my right rear door, 1998 GS400, anyone have thoughts? DIY?
DIY for front door:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=140400

I cant find any DIY for rear door...